PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Warriors!

buksing_king
01-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Hey everyone I would like to share a very pleasent experience with you all

Tonight i went to see the "shaolin warriors" at a local entertainment centre , and boy are they good

I mean it is not all strictly CMA it is a bit of twirling and prancing around but these guys are really very good at what they do

They all appear to be contortuntists as they have the flexibility of a piece of string

They have lighting quick punches,super low stances and ultra high jump kicks(bit of a novelty, not so good for fighting)

I would have been impressed with this alone
then they started snapping wood across themselves etc

One guy even lay on an array of swords which were lying in a wooden block with there cutting edge facing upwards, then he had a board of nails placed on him, then another guy lay on him, then a concrete block was on top of him, then a guy smashed the concrete block with a hammer ! pretty novelty stuff if u ask me

Anywayz i just thought i would let you all know that these guys seem like the real deal and actually have amazing kung fu skills ( looks like northern shaolin with all the low stances, but i think there were things from southern styles in there) and are definetly worth seeing

peace

buksing_king
01-18-2003, 08:28 PM
sorry if it came across as if i was advertising, but i am in no-way connected to the "shaolin warriors" and am not advertising for them :cool:

yenhoi
01-18-2003, 09:59 PM
sounds exactly like the shaolin wheel of life show, there are several threads about it around here.

dezhen2001
01-18-2003, 11:26 PM
saw them on video and live at a demo... i agree - real good at what they do :)

dawood

GeneChing
01-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Actually Shaolin Warriors is a completely different crew than Wheel of Life. Wheel uses more dance and live music. It began in the UK and has been going since 1999. Warriors started in 2001 (I think.) It's pretty much a straight demonstration, more akin to the anniversary tour, with an underlying theme of the seasons.

Ironically both came to our area at the same time, alongside the Gyuto monks, last year. Only a few media people were persceptive enough to realize that there were 3 monk tours, 2 from Shaolin, and that the 2 from Shaolin were indeed different. There were a lot of monk shows in town then.

desertwingchun2
01-20-2003, 05:04 PM
I caught the Warrior Monks show when they were here in Phoenix. It is definetly a good show. We were also fortunate to host nine (if memory serves) members at our kwoon. They put on individual demonstrations and held a Q&A session that lasted about an hour. If they come back to Phoenix I'll definetly check them out again.
-David

ATAC
01-20-2003, 06:18 PM
bucksing_king,

Where did you see them? I saw an ad briefly last night on TV about one off shows around Australia. I was hoping to see them in Melbourne if I can find out more information about it. :)

dezhen2001
01-20-2003, 07:39 PM
the Gyuto monks

sorry to go a little o/t gene, but first of all - who are they? and second - what was their tour show like? :)

dawood

Sho
01-21-2003, 02:58 AM
They are a Tibetan tantric choir performing in the US, afaik.

dezhen2001
01-21-2003, 03:42 AM
thanks for the info - sounds good :)

dawood

buksing_king
01-21-2003, 04:33 AM
I saw them in Perth if you were wondering

It really is some incredible stuff, with real physical feats

GeneChing
01-21-2003, 04:49 PM
The Gyuto monks are Tibetan refugees, now relocated in Arunachal Pradesh, India. Each monk can chant a chord - it's one of the most amazing sounds you've ever heard - peels the skin right off your skull. You might check out this archived ezine article (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=159) I wrote last year, it mentions them.

norther practitioner
01-21-2003, 05:30 PM
I've seen both, enjoyed both for what they were, but definitely enjoyed the warriors show more for the wushu aspects.