PDA

View Full Version : Squats, Deads, and traditional MA's

Samurai Jack
01-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been lurking in the shadows for awhile, and I appreciate the info you people are putting out. Keep it coming!

I've been weight training for a few years now, just started Aikido training. I'm six feet tall, weigh 215 lbs., I'm slim around the middle, although my body fat percentage isn't quite low enough to reveal my abs (I'm not concerned with that though). I do Aikido Mon/Tue/Wed, and Sat. I weight train on Mon, occasionally on Sun and Wed instead of Mon, if I feel up to it.

My Weight routine generally looks like this:

Bench Press 5 sets of 5
Squats or Deads (alternated weekly) 5 sets of 5
One arm Lat pulldowns 5 sets of 5
Calf raises 5 sets of 5

My goal with this routine is max strength and size

So here's the query:

Since I've started Aikido, my hips, knees and legs are usually pretty sore. I practice four days a week for an average of an hour and a half. I weight train once or twice a week, but I can't do my regular leg routine (mostly squats, calf raises, and deads) because my legs are so sore, they're already feeling over trained.

How do you MA's work around this? It dosen't seem like there're enough days in the week to allow sufficient recovery time between weight and Aikido workouts.

Ford Prefect
01-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi Samurai Jack,

Welcome aboard!

Once your body get's used to the abuse it takes in Aikido training, the soreness should lessen and eventually go away. Sore joints are not to be trifled with, so if they are sore, don't push them. Always listen to your body in this regard as overtraining will almost always lead to injuries.

Cheese Dog
01-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Hello Samurai Jack and welcome!

It can take you several weeks to get used to a new martial art. Until you get over the soreness you should cut back on the weight training. Personally, I would only train each lift once per week and don't go to failure. Always leave one rep "in reserve". And then in a month or two when you're more used to Aikido, go back to the twice a week schedule.

Good luck,

Cheese Dog

Samurai Jack
01-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Okay, I'll cut back for awhile, It's just that I've worked so hard for my gains, I'm concerned that a lay-off in wieghts will set me back. My Bench weights havn't been increasing as steadily as they used to.

Do you guys think I should change my routine? Or just stick with what I've got for awhile longer and see if my ol' bod adjusts to less frequent sessions?

Kempo Guy
01-17-2003, 04:44 PM
As suggested, get used to your Aikido then up your weight training again.

I would suggest you cycle your weight workouts every few weeks (2-4weeks). As for recommendations for routines/exercises... depends on what type of equipment you have available. I would keep doing your deads/squats (I prefer deads) and bench, although you should switch up with other chest exercises (for instance if you do barbell BP, do them with dumbells). You could add exercises like one-legged pistols, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, variations of push-ups.

KG

Rolling Elbow
01-19-2003, 12:54 PM
watch it on the deads..if you are not focused or just a bit tired, you'll likely relax or let your shoulders bend forward. I did this last week and my lower back went on me..i've started rehabilitating it at home but will likely not deadlift again or even squat for a month until i am sure tha ther eis no more pain...

so be careful!

cutter
01-20-2003, 11:08 PM
curse you for taking the screen name i wanted!

Samurai Jack
01-21-2003, 12:00 AM
What is this screen name you speak of? I am Samurai Jack.

cutter
01-21-2003, 08:37 AM
::::cutter bows deeply to Jack-San:::::::;)

cutter
01-21-2003, 08:43 AM
after you ge accustom to the MA training, i suggest doing 2-3x5 instead of 5x5 then gradually up the volume. play with it & see, you may not be able to handle 5x5 & train MA too.

i apologize for not recognizing the true Samurai Jack.:p

ElPietro
01-21-2003, 08:58 AM
You could try a full body routine as well. Do twice a week full body, with 2-3 sets per body part. This will get your entire body adjusted to being trained all at once, and soreness may be minimalized. Also, if you lift extremely heavy percentages of your one rep max you will not be as sore. You will get stronger, but not a whole lot bigger, provided diet remains constant.

You could also try incorporating an olympic movement to your program as well. Powercleans are an excellent choice, and you can add a push press or overhead press at the top of the movement, for an almost full body exercise.

It's "okay" to train when a bit sore, but if it's your joints or tendons that are sore, and not muscle, you may want to back off for a bit and make sure you are well rested, or it will never heal.