PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Sparring

TKD
01-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone! I need a little help on the subject of Kung Fu sparring. I'm going to a Tournament on the 8th of February and I'd like to know a little of what to expect from Kung Fu sparrers. As you can probably tell from my name I take Tae Kwon Do. Therefore I really have no clue of what to expect. That's mainly why I subscribed to this forum(till I found the "other related arts" piece). So any advice on stances, kicks and hand techniques would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even a couple of the most used combinations in your school.

Thanks, TKD:D

P.S. Maybe some information on how you counter those most used attacks to!;)

MightyB
01-17-2003, 12:20 PM
If it's point sparring, it'll be the same as you're used to and you'll probably win. If it's continuous sparring, it'll be close to what your used to-- don't stop after you score-- and you'll probably win.

Suntzu
01-17-2003, 12:21 PM
well… if its point sparring… I'm sure u know how to handle it;)… if it continuous… expect a good spar'er:confused: to move to the side instead of str8 back… if he's wearing gloves w/the fingers out… I would expect for him to grab my arm to block it down/up or pull... if he has boxing gloves…he's gonna… well… box...
some guys think that they are jet li and will try and use BIG circular motions... if thats the case send one right down the middle... but just have fun and fight your fight and read up on the rules...

Losttrak
01-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Honestly most kung fu stylists fight like everyone else for years.... they rely on the traditional punch/kick varieties. The guys you need to watch out for are the newb Long Fist guys who actually feel they are representing their style by swinging chain round-house punches to your face. Other than that just expect the usual or something really exotic. Watched this white crane stylist once who would fight from a one foot stance with his leg lifted straight in front of him... To each their own.

TKD
01-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Actually it's both types of sparring, I'll be doing continuos and point. Continuos is the same as point except we have to wear chest protector , no hands to head, and contact is a little harder.
Same rules as always though, so if he grabs anything I get the point. I was mostly worried about exotic attacks and stances though. I've only had experience with Karate and TKD, so against a Kung Fu artist I feel that I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage. He knows all of my stances and probably all of my attacks but I don't know his. So, I decided I'd better research a little, I'd be really happy if he sparred like everyone else though.

fa_jing
01-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Try to play your game, not his.

shinwa
01-17-2003, 01:20 PM
I agree with fa_jing. Don't worry about anything, play your game, keep your eye on his and react accordingly. That's really all there is to do, regardless of style. Just, stay aware and use what you know. :eek:

Suntzu
01-17-2003, 01:28 PM
I NEVER could get with that type of stuff… Point, to me, is for 10 year olds… but I understand… insurance and all that stuff but… sheesh… I use to trip off of dude getting hyped/nervous for that type stuff… I mean, like grown dudes… but than again… continuous can get pretty brutal...

Watched this white crane stylist once who would fight from a one foot stance with his leg lifted straight in front of him... To each their own. now see… I would have to get DQ'd for puttin him on his azz…

SevenStar
01-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
I NEVER could get with that type of stuff… Point, to me, is for 10 year olds… but I understand… insurance and all that stuff but… sheesh… I use to trip off of dude getting hyped/nervous for that type stuff… I mean, like grown dudes… but than again… continuous can get pretty brutal...
now see… I would have to get DQ'd for puttin him on his azz…

ROFL! no doubt!

SevenStar
01-17-2003, 04:03 PM
What's been said so far is pretty good advice. We can't give you specifics of what to look for because we don't know the people in it. Consequently, we don't know what they train in and thus can't tell you any characteristics of their style. We don't know what types of techs the competitiors prefer, etc. That said, don't worry about that too much. you can size them up at the tourney when you watch them fight. Work on making them fight your fight and you will be okay. Since no hand techs are allowed to the head and you are a TKD guy anyway, you may have a huge advantage there.

yu shan
01-18-2003, 10:17 PM
You folks are clueless to real GongFu fighting...

dezhen2001
01-18-2003, 11:46 PM
do u think someone who did *real gong fu fighting* (TM) would be fighting in a point/continuous tournament? :rolleyes:

just keep to what you know, if you are not used to hand techniques so much keep your guard up... im sure u will have some fun :)

good luck!
dawood

SevenStar
01-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by yu shan

help us out.

Suntzu
01-20-2003, 07:08 AM
*real gong fu fighting* (TM) :D :D :D