PDA

View Full Version : What are these things good for (food)

TzuChan
01-17-2003, 05:34 PM
-Banana
-Appel
-Kiwi
-Chocolate
-Water
-Milk
-Egg

I eat this stuff quite often (bannanas for sure), and yeah I drink water and milk lol. Just wondering what they are actually good for. (yeah Vitamines .. but wtf .. you know ....)

SaMantis
01-17-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure about everything on that list, but:

banana = potassium (reduces muscle cramping after a workout), sugars (quick energy)

apple = vitamin C, fiber, apply goodness...

kiwi = more vitamin C than an orange, keeps your immune system strong.

chocolate = lots o'stuff, good effects mostly, like a mild mood enhancer, some antioxidant properties. It's the milk and sugar that aren't so good for you.

water = helps reduce muscle cramping & sore muscles after a workout by flushing out lactic acid, rehydrates you.

milk = source of calcium, but not a very good one. The body doesn't absorb cow's milk too well. There are better sources of calcium out there, like kale.

egg = protein throughout, of course, and B12 (in the yolk). i've read diet plans where you're only allowed to eat the whites, to avoid fat, but most of the nutrients are in the yolk.

Serpent
01-19-2003, 03:58 PM
What's kale?

IronFist
01-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Kale is a leafy green vegetable. It's dark green, actually. I've only eaten it a few times so I don't really remember.

IronFist

Serpent
01-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Oh right! Kinda like spinach? Spinach is very high in calcium too.

SaMantis
01-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Yup, spinach ... I believe it has iron, too? (not sure) Also collard & turnip greens. If you can't stand droopy boiled spinach try sauteing it instead with garlic & soy sauce for about 30 seconds, big difference!

Serpent
01-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Better still, get baby spinach and eat it raw like salad greens. Bloody lovely and totally full of nutrient goodness! ;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-19-2003, 11:30 PM
"but most of the nutrients are in the yolk."

thats because you're eating the dead baby chicken.

Laughing Cow
01-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
"but most of the nutrients are in the yolk."

thats because you're eating the dead baby chicken.

Time to head back to Biology class.

The eggs you eat are unfertilised i.e. no baby chicks in it.

If it was fertilised you would see a small white disk floating on the edge of the yolk this is the Embryo.

Don't they teach you guys anything in school over there.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-19-2003, 11:39 PM
i live on a farm and only eat ones that are about to hatch. i thought the yolk was the baby chicken itself. why would anyone want to eat it when its all slimy ... thats just gross.

Laughing Cow
01-19-2003, 11:43 PM
i live on a farm and only eat ones that are about to hatch. i thought the yolk was the baby chicken itself. why would anyone want to eat it when its all slimy ... thats just gross.

When you do sunny-side up eggs the yolk still needs to be liquidy otherwise it ain't proper.

Add to that crispy bacon that shatters when you insert fork, grilled sausage, fried mushroom, toast, hashed brown and baked beans.
Minute steak is optional.

Now that is how you make a decent breakfast for after a good night on the town.

:D ;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-19-2003, 11:47 PM
uhhh ... that does sound like an awesome meal, but i dont think my stomach would like that after a night of drinking.

it just wants water and tea for a couple hours.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-19-2003, 11:48 PM
now im hungery and want a beer.

Laughing Cow
01-20-2003, 12:37 AM
i thought the yolk was the baby chicken itself.

Actually the yolk is the main food for the growing chick as it grows it feeds on the yolk and occupies the place of the eaten yolk.

Remember no umbilical cord to supply nutrients from it's mother.

;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-20-2003, 12:39 AM
i actually did know that at one time, but smoked it into oblivion.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-20-2003, 12:40 AM
what about honey? i like honey. is it good for you?

TzuChan
01-21-2003, 02:36 AM
i actually did know that at one time, but smoked it into oblivion.

haha dude, lmfao :D

SaMantis
01-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Honey? Yes, very good for you. If you're counting carbs, it's a sugar, but it processes differently than cane sugar. It's also sweeter than sugar so you use less of it; you have to use much more honey to get a "rush" than sugar.

Some folks swear it helps reduce allergies to pollen if you eat locally-produced, raw & unfiltered honey. I'm not sure, but then I'm more allergic to pet dander so I guess it wouldn't have any effect on me.