PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ba gua or hsing I in SAN ANTONIO

SAAMAG
01-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while since Ive been on these forums...been spending a lot of time on the gixxer.com forums for my motorcycle stuff....but I think my wrist may be starting to heal from its break months ago....and Im thinking of going another route with my martial arts. Instead of doing the wing chun, muay thai, and hard shaolin gung fu, I would like to get into the more internal arts. The only problem is I cant find anyone here that teaches anything worth while. Id really prefer to get into pa kua....but real tai chi and hsing will do also. I heard of a guy named John Ethridge that used to teach here...but the contact info is outdated. If anyone can help....please.....help!

The Willow Sword
01-18-2003, 05:21 PM
well i would say check out the shaolin-do school for the hsing i and pakua,,but that will get a anti-sd response. plus i wouldnt reccomend them anyway.

you have to come to austin and find some stuff here. I do hsing i and pakua but it is hybrid stuff based on what i learned from SD and before that from a disciple of Dr. John winglock Ng.
(when i say hybrid stuff i mean that i have my own take on the arts now since i have been doing them for along time)
i was teaching basics in New mexico before 9-11 hit,,i had to move back.

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword

TaoBoxer
01-18-2003, 05:48 PM
John's my sifu..... Supply me with email and I'll forward it to him.

Bill

solur
01-19-2003, 02:12 AM
I study Wu Taijiquan from Jingyu Gu in Austin, TX.
Classes are M-T-W-TH-F (and an open class on Sat) @ a park on the intersection of 41st and Red River.

He teaches in a traditional way (i.e. you will not learn the sword form until you have reached quite a proficiency in the open-hand form ; usually a few years at least). He stresses the need for taijiquan teaching to have a martial aspect, as taijiquan is a martial art, but of course explains that taijiquan is much more than just martial. He aslo incorporates qiqong (8-pieces Brocade) and can also do individual instruction in taoist meditation/qiqong.

Anyways, this teacher has caused a major change in my life, in that I feel he is the first truly skilled martial artist of any style I have ever met. I heavily recommend observing/participating in a class.

Here is a link to his website (although not very well done, offers a little information on his lineage, and the specific address on 41st:

http://www.taichizhenren.com/

If you have any questions for me, send me and email at: solure@yahoo.com.

-Will