PDA

View Full Version : Time Frame for S.L.T and More

TwoManSaw
01-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Hello all,

I am hoping people can share with me/us some information pertaining to time frames recommended for practicing Shil Lim Tao. I was wondering what time frames various schools and different lineages advocate for the practice of S.L.T, if you could tell us your lineage and Sifu, it would be great for the sharing process, If not I understand.

I will begin - My Sifu is C.Douglas, T.W.C

My Sifu's recommended time frame is as long as possible, as long as the movements in the first section are smooth, consistent and with no starts and stops all the moves must flow into each other no gaps or pauses. As for the remainding sections they should be performed in a natural speed relative to the technique being applied in application, he also advised me when I was having problems with Cadence and matching my opponents speed to practice these sections in 3 different speeds, slow, med and fast
(this advice was also applied to the practice of drills, with great success).

Through my own practice I have found that it takes me around 20 to 25 mins to complete S.L.T

Thanks heaps for sharing, I look forward to reading the different approaches.

S.Teebas
01-18-2003, 05:11 PM
I do it for as long as i can keep my concentration. There's no set time frame.

Rolling_Hand
01-18-2003, 06:37 PM
I do my TWC SLT for 1/2 hour every morning.

Stevo
01-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Normally 10 - 12 mins, up to 20 max. Doing it on one leg, 5 mins without stopping for each leg and without buckling. First section slow, moderate speed for sections 2 & 3.

Stevo

Rolling_Hand
01-18-2003, 11:32 PM
*Doing it on one leg,*

Are you doing Leung Ting's WT or Wing Chun?

dezhen2001
01-18-2003, 11:32 PM
1/2 an hour sounds good, its around what i usually do as well... doing it on 1 leg is also pretty interesting -difficult at first especially for a length of time, but practise makes it better :)

dawood

Stevo
01-19-2003, 12:47 AM
*Doing it on one leg,* Are you doing Leung Ting's WT or Wing Chun?

Wing Chun, as taught by my Sifu, Rolf Clausnitzer (WSL and Moy Yat lineages).

In my case at least...as I understand it...one of the reasons for doing SNT on one leg is early leg strengthening preparation for learning the pole form.

Stevo.

Rolling_Hand
01-19-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi Stevo,

My Sifu was a student of WSL in Hong Kong.

LOL, it's a small world.

Roger

Stevo
01-19-2003, 01:10 AM
doing it on 1 leg is also pretty interesting -difficult at first especially for a length of time, but practise makes it better

Yes...like starting with the lifted foot low and raising it higher over successive sessions, which I have made improvements with. Unfortunately though, I have foot and leg problems that have made it hard to go longer that 5 minutes on each foot. I get pain in the R. foot (calcaneus and maybe tarsometatarsal joints) when standing on it and the L. calf muscle (lateral gastrocnemius) when standing on the L. leg.

Stevo

Stevo
01-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Hi Stevo, My Sifu was a student of WSL in Hong Kong. Roger

Hi Roger,

Excellent!:)

Stevo.

dezhen2001
01-19-2003, 03:58 AM
*Doing it on one leg,* Are you doing Leung Ting's WT or Wing Chun?

my wing chun is from yip chun thru michael tse to my sifu. We do a lot of 1 legged slt training or even just standing on 1 leg :)

dawood

quiet man
01-19-2003, 06:57 AM
My sifu was a student of WSL 1987.-1995. (a small world indeed :D )

I'd have to agree with S. Teebas. There are reasons for "quicker" SLT and for "longer" time frame SLT; however, beginners may be advised to do the latter more often.

Rolling_Hand
01-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Quiet man,

It's good to see another Sihingdai from WSL family here!

I had met Sigung WSL once in Hong Kong.

WSL, a great kung fu man.

Roger

quiet man
01-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Rolling_Hand,

I couldn't agree more! And I envy you :) - I never had that chance, having started my WC training in 1998...
My sihings remember him from the seminars in Croatia in the early 1990s (his last seminars here, due to the war and his health issues) and they say it too: not only a great kung fu man, but a great man, period.

yenhoi
01-19-2003, 11:24 AM
My teacher was also a student of WSL.

He says to do the SLT in as many ways as possible.

Was originally taught as slow 1st section, moderate speed for the 2 & 3. Highly advocated to practice the form as much as possible, regularly, with as much variation as you can take on.

anerlich
01-19-2003, 04:13 PM
I normally practice the first part (thrice salute Buddha) between 3 and six breaths for each extension and retraction of the tan or fuk arm. The rest is done at a faster pace, allegedly approximating "actual" speed.

None of my teachers have advocated the extra long (30 mins +) SLT, and I've never seen the value of it. In the 45 minutes I could spend doing superslow SLT, I could do a less slow version several times, and/or move on to CK, BJ, and/or whatever else I was working on.

As other posters have commented, a variety of speeds and approaches are good, to cover several bases if you will. Slow for precision, medium for flow, fast for speed.

wingchunalex
01-19-2003, 04:16 PM
at my school we take about 3 to 5 minutes to do slt. we do the tan sau section at about tai chi or a little slower speed. the rest we do at moderate speed. I do mainland style wing chun and my sifu is ron bey.

Tom Kagan
01-20-2003, 10:19 AM
Wing Chun, as taught by my Sifu, Rolf Clausnitzer (WSL and Moy Yat lineages).

As much as I might, personally, enjoy calling a Ving Tsun practicioner of Mr. Clausnitzer's standing my SiHing, I cannot rightfully do so. He is a student of Wong Shueng Leung. All of the credit for Mr. Clausnitzer's accomplishments rest with himself and my SiBak alone.

I believe you are mixing up the Sifus of Mr. Clausnitzer with his co-author, Greco Wong.

Stevo
01-21-2003, 03:11 AM
Tom...

I believe you are mixing up the Sifus of Mr. Clausnitzer with his co-author, Greco Wong.

Hi there Tom...not quite sure what you mean. In the interests of keeping my post brief I only mentioned my Sifu's lineages as I know them, not his Sifus. I know that he studied Wing Chun first in the UK before he got a chance to study with WSL in Hong Kong...he met Yip Man (I think through Bruce Lee, who went to school with his brother) when he was in his teens living in Hong Kong and was very keen to start learning Wing Chun then but at that stage his parents didn't want to let him learn martial arts. I thought Greco Wong was his original Sifu in the UK when he was at University there, not just his co-author. But I might be wrong, I might have not remembered it correctly..maybe he studied with someone else, but he did mention that his teacher in the UK was of Moy Yat lineage. Later he returned to Hong Kong and became a student of Wong Shun Leung. Whatever the case, I feel very fortunate to be studying with Rolf Clausnitzer.

Stevo.

Tom Kagan
01-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Without going too far into details, your timeline is off. I don't mean any disrespect, but you need to ask your Sifu again. Use this as a chance to get closer to him.

I'll give you a little ice breaker when you get the chance to talk. I never met your Sifu. But, Mr. Clausnitzer once wrote he remembers a gentleman who introduced him to Ving Tsun and to Yip Man. If my memory serves, your sifu remembers that person by a nickname, "Huk Jai." If it's who I think it is, the person's nickname was actually "Huk Jai Hong" and did not come from the color of his skin. His nickname came from the fact that he walked everywhere without a shirt, including to his house after class over 10 miles away after the sun went down. Hence, his nickname, "dark boy home" (No white shirt). If it's the same person (Huk Jai Hong was actually Yip Man's student, not my Sifu's) I am sure your Sifu will remember the missing front teeth except for the one "tiger" tooth.

Of course, I might be wrong and it may not be the same person. However, it might still be a pretty good way to start a conversation with your Sifu about his time in Hong Kong. :)

Rolling_Hand
01-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Welcome to WSL WCK family

Sifu Ng Chun-Hong

http://www.wingchun.hk.com/

Stevo
01-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Without going too far into details, your timeline is off. I don't mean any disrespect, but you need to ask your Sifu again. Use this as a chance to get closer to him.

I'll give you a little ice breaker when you get the chance to talk. I never met your Sifu. But, Mr. Clausnitzer once wrote he remembers a gentleman who introduced him to Ving Tsun and to Yip Man. If my memory serves, your sifu remembers that person by a nickname, "Huk Jai." If it's who I think it is, the person's nickname was actually "Huk Jai Hong" and did not come from the color of his skin. His nickname came from the fact that he walked everywhere without a shirt, including to his house after class over 10 miles away after the sun went down. Hence, his nickname, "dark boy home" (No white shirt). If it's the same person (Huk Jai Hong was actually Yip Man's student, not my Sifu's) I am sure your Sifu will remember the missing front teeth except for the one "tiger" tooth.

Of course, I might be wrong and it may not be the same person. However, it might still be a pretty good way to start a conversation with your Sifu about his time in Hong Kong.

Tom,

Yes, I most likely got the chronology wrong, so my apologies for that to anyone who it concerns. Rolf told me the story a while ago but my memory isn't the best so I probably muddled it. I don't care much for extended lineage and historical debate...I only mentioned his lineage originally in response to a question about whether I was learning "Leung Ting's Wing Tsun or Wing Chun". I now realise that I should have just said Wing Chun and left it at that. I won't confuse your condescending tone with disrespect, Tom, so that's OK. Thanks for your "little icebreaker", but I don't think I'll be needing it. I'm close enough to my Sifu already, but thanks for your advice. My time with my Sifu is very limited, so I most likely won't waste it asking him questions about his past...I'd rather use my time with him to learn kung fu and to focus on the present and future.

Stevo

Tom Kagan
01-22-2003, 10:31 AM
:o:o:o
(With great embarrasment)

If you took my last post as condescending, I apologize. I did not mean it to be as such, and I will work on that. :o

Mr. Clausnitzer's past brings his students to the present. From what I've read and the people with whom I have spoken regarding him, your Sifu is a wealth of information at all levels of the Ving Tsun system. I, personally, find it refreshing when a student can talk not only about their art but also about their teacher and classmates with certainty and accuracy. I've seen one or two of my SiHings bluff their way through a story often enough to learn I need to take their words with more than a few grains of salt when those same individuals try to "help" me in training.

From what I've read of your posts thus far, I think your Sifu has a good student studying with him (said on the slim chance my opinion is worth anything to you). I know the distance is great, but if you make it near New York City, I'd love the opportunity to help you enjoy the city.

Stevo
01-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Tom,

Thanks...and my apologies for getting a bit crotchetty earlier...my fault for jumping to false conclusions (my irritability wasn't helped by temperatures over 110F and a broken down airconditioner).

I do respect my Sifu's past and certainly find it interesting but it was originally a desire to learn WSL-style Wing Chun that drew me to him. After meeting him, I realised how fortunate I was, because not only is he a great teacher but also an exceptional person in all respects.

I wouldn't want to inadvertantly misrepresent his past, so will talk with him soon to verify my understanding of it.

I do hope to make it to NYC in 4-5 years' time, and would look forward to meeting you and very much appreciate the offer to show me the place. The same goes for you if you ever make it over here.

Stevo