PDA

View Full Version : Shuai Chiao In NYC?

wiz cool c
01-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know of any instructors that teach Shuai Chiao in nyc?

SevenStar
01-19-2003, 09:51 AM
send a pm to waterdragon and get on the SC mailing list. You can probably get alot of help there.

wiz cool c
01-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Ok will do thanks.

SwaiingDragon
01-19-2003, 10:59 AM
In reply to your question:

My classmates and I have started a class @

Yee's Hung Ga
150 West 28th Street
suite 600
New York

the class is held only once a week :

Sunday
4p-6p

We are are students of Shifu J. Chin and SiGong Jeng, Hsing Peng.

The purpose of our class is continue the practice of Shuai Chiao-

We've been fortunate to have classmates and students from various martial styles (chinese, korean, japanese, filipino, russian arts) and skill levels (beginers to instructors)--all are welcome

for more info on Shuai Chiao please go to:
ShuaiChiao.org
or
SwaiJiao.com

for questions on the new york class:

SwaiJiao@hotmail.com

thanks

cha kuen
01-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Isn't practicing a lot of shuai chiao bad for your back? I mean getting thrown all the time in class? I know that advacned guys can be soft but the beginners usually just toss you with all their might .

---kung fu books--- (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&)

SwaiingDragon
01-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Nope--

There are Swai Jiao, Judo, Hapkido, Akido students that have been practicing for decades that are fine....

GGL
01-19-2003, 10:16 PM
It is bad for the back as for any other technique.. if you do it wrong. I always tell people.. to not give away your back.. which is natural at first.. then as time progresses. they learn to execute the move with correct posture.. which is in turn not bad for the back :)

SevenStar
01-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Also, you have to know how to properly fall - alot of injuries are caused simply because people fall wrong.

In addition, if you are only sparring in class and someone tries to throw you, if you are already off balance, let them finish the throw. Alot of injuries are also caused by people trying to fight throws that they should've just fallen with - a pride thing. it's okay to be thrown in practice.

cha kuen
01-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Even if you fall correctly, your body is still getting worn out from all the throws that you are taking. And if you work with beginners who don't know how to throw correctly, you will still take some of the hit.

That's what im' trying to say.

SevenStar
01-20-2003, 11:20 AM
I don't think that means it's bad for your back - my judo coach is 72. The instructors under him are in their 30'sand 40's. IMO, trying to throw and doing it wrong (trying to throw with only your back, etc) will strain your back worse than being thrown will.

A beginner that can't throw correctly isn't really a problem for your back. The concer there is your extremeties, for example, if you are doing tai-otoshi and sweep at the knee instead of under it, you can severely damage the person's knee.

Water Dragon
01-20-2003, 04:49 PM
If you can't handle being thrown, you don't belong on the mat. Yes, it will hurt your back; but no, it won't injure your back.

Wiz, how hard are you willing to train and how far are you willing to travel?

carly
01-20-2003, 04:52 PM
with falling that it eventually doesn't hurt or phase you.

SwaiingDragon
01-21-2003, 11:40 AM
In almost the decade our class has been together - no one has hurt their back...our Shifu and his classmates- are all fine and they're going on 20-30 yrs of practice...

most people get hurt due to stiffness (brought about by fear of falling)- but nothing serious

BTW-

-Class resumes this sunday (we closed due to the holiday weekend)

thanks,

www.SwaiJiao@hotmail.com