PDA

View Full Version : sparring in 7*praying mantis

7*mantiskid
01-20-2003, 07:08 AM
are there a lot of sparring in 7* pm or just some schools? because my school doesn't do sparring. we just do forms and then we might practice sticky hands. to me sticky hands is nowhere as effective as sparring although it is beneficial to fighting. i believe sparring is the most important part to martial arts but my school doens't really do it

so could you other 7*pm practitioners tell me if you guys do sparring alot

and are there any full contact kung fu tournments in canada?

MightyB
01-20-2003, 07:46 AM
are there a lot of sparring in 7* pm or just some schools?

It really depends on the teacher, and the students.

Some like sparring, some don't.

There is a full-contact tourney in Canada called the Tiger Balm International by Sifu John Funk. You'll have to look it up on the web.

(rant time)
I'm like you, I believe that sparring is crucial for Martial Arts. Although I feel that designating a specific way of sparring is naive and counter productive to a martial artists growth. There are some people that go on about how san shou doesn't look like traditional kung fu and that it looks more like kick boxing. Or that mantis should look like mantis. Could it be that fighting isn't so unique and complex as to be contained in only one school of thought? I'm coming to believe more and more that style delineations are man-made and not real. Take for instance the whole internal/external/northern/southern debates. I don't find the differences and stereotypes to truly exist. Maybe it's because of 7* being pretty much all inclusive and has elements of all those. More likely it's because the differences only are in the participants imagination and don't exist in real combat.

(rant almost over)

To get back on topic. Without realistic sparring there can be no growth because it's in the fighting that we can truly examine ourselves. Sometimes losing is better than winning because it forces us to really evaluate what we are doing and how we are doing it. But that all takes risk and humility. The risk is that you will see that you are not the martial hero that you imagine yourself to be, but rather a rational living breathing human being. With that insite, you'll be able to make yourself into the best martial artist that you can be, and you'll know yourself and your limitations. It's much better to live in reality than fantasy.

(rant over)

carly
01-20-2003, 08:16 AM
What city do you live in? Maybe we can find a mantis sifu nearby who teaches sparring.

ursa major
01-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Hello 7*MantisKid,

Thx for your post. What I have seen is that some schools of 'Self-defense' typically do not spar and often for good reason. In their context to do an actual 'fighting technique' may require somebody who is willing to get their arm or neck broken. Some years back I trained in a Hap-Kido club and I can assure you there was no real sparring going on and the same when I later began practicing Jiu-Jitsu. I never gave it much thought.

Kung-Fu schools, on the other hand, must practice sparring -- no ifs, ands, or buts. I say this because IMO it is impossible to become proficient at, for example, 7 Star techniques without sparring practice -- and it can be accomplished without fear of destroying your club mates.

So why not spar ? Well there are some students of MA who have a strong aversion to physical contact and therefore sparring. The reasoning for this can be personality based or religious. Often it is an issue of health concerns. Some systems just don't spar.

I practiced at a Tai-Chi club where the members were horrified (at me) as I translated their techiques into 'violence'... hey they were vegetarians, anti-violence Daoists it didn't work for me but I am thankful for them the world is a better place.

In some cases the cost of proper insurance to cover the club in case of a mishap, is simply too high so sparring is forbidden. IMO this is going to be more the case in the future.

Has your Sifu/teacher explained to you the 'no sparring' ? Is it a rule or a policy ? Perhaps there can be special considerations for those who wish to apply their knowledge in this way ?

regards,
UM.

7*mantiskid
01-20-2003, 04:05 PM
sparring should be the excercise most practices, especially in 7*pm. all those techniques need practice in order to be able to perfect them. most notably the grabs into combos. also how to intercept, finding the correct timing. i think traditional kung fu is becoming a weaker martial arts nowadays comparing it to styles such as muay thai and kickboxing. pm is a very deadly art, but one cannot experience fighting without practicing it. so that is my opinion. practing techniques by punching air will not win you a fight. and in pm there are just too many forms

i'm sure you all agree with me