PDA

View Full Version : one hand pushups

hongkongfooey
01-20-2003, 09:54 AM
i've been doing two handed pushups for a long time ....i try to do one hand pushups but i fail...is there a specific way to do one handed pushups or d o i need more arm strength?

Ford Prefect
01-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey bud,

A lot of it has to do with stability and balance. You have to keep your mid-section rock solid during the execution of these. During a one-handed push-up, your body should be parellel with the ground. It's cheating to lean your body toward the arm that you are pushing with.

A great way to build up to these is to use a basketball for support. Keep your "off" hand on the basketball, and keep the basketball close to your body to start. As you progress, move the basketball further away from your body and eventually back towards your feet. Eventually you will be able to do them with no help at all.

Kempo Guy
01-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Ford,

Great advice. That's exactly how I learned to do one-handed push-ups.

Try using the "density training" method to achieve more reps.

KG

Souljah
01-20-2003, 05:48 PM
yea ford thanks for that too

iron thread
01-20-2003, 10:16 PM
How do 1 hand and 2 hand pushups contrast in benefits?

Cheese Dog
01-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Kempo Guy, what is the density training method?

No_Know
01-22-2003, 10:38 AM
For the moment, spread apart your feet . Big spread. Weight distribution puts some of the weight to both legs and spreads it out. You are not pushing-up as much.

The elbow might should be out (yet back)...I can't rest on my palm any more~ sooooo... I No_Know.

Kempo Guy
01-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Cheese Dog,

Here’s an example of density training:
Let’s say your goal is to do 12 one-handed pushups in a row (since this exercise is the topic of this discussion). First you need to double the number of your ‘goal’, so you need to look at your total workout volume as 24 repetitions.

The first workout you start with 12 sets of 2 reps in 12 minutes, i.e. a new set is begun every minute. In the beginning you will have about 50 seconds (or more) of rest per minute. Once this routine gets easy, start doing 8 sets of 3 reps in 8 minutes. When this gets easy, go to 6 sets of 4 reps in 6 minutes. Once this is easy, do 5 sets of 5 reps in 5 minutes. Then go to 4 sets of 6 reps in 4 minutes. Etc. etc. I guarantee that you will be able to do 12 in a row using this type of a program.

As you see the rest periods get shorter as the number of reps increase per minute. You can use this formula for just about any exercise if you have a goal in mind.
BTW, you should only do this type of a workout twice a week.

KG

rubthebuddha
01-22-2003, 02:59 PM
iron thread -- typically, the one-hander puts less stress on the chest and more on the shoulder and side of the torso. this is more pronounced the more a person "cheats" as ford calls it.

Cheese Dog
01-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Many thanks, Kempo Guy!

Kempo Guy
01-23-2003, 09:11 AM
No worries. Glad to be of service. :D

David
01-24-2003, 04:39 AM
I'm so pleased to have read this thread. One for the basketball tip and two for the density training. In my own way I'd been trying to 'invent' that method myself - made my day to see it all worked out for me :)

Now I have a method, I will buy that stop-watch...

-David

rubthebuddha
01-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Ford,

can you give a little more detail on the basketball tip? i'm trying to picture it in my mind, but it's just not showing up right.