PDA

View Full Version : Nunchukas

TKD
01-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Anybody here use 'em? If so can you tell me some of your favorite moves for them? I'm looking for different type of throws really(the type you catch again) but, anything is welcome. Looking to expand my Nunchuk horizons!:D

Thanks, TKD

ricksitterly
01-20-2003, 09:02 PM
"I'm looking for different type of throws really(the type you catch again) " - TKD

LMAO at that. what kinda throws do u THINK someone would suggest? Like, yeah, throw your nunchucks down the street lol
*just joking w/ u*

I know a couple tricks but i'm not sure how to even BEGIN explaining how to do em. Its the type of thing u really need to See.... like have someone show you and mirror their movements slowly. Look around for sites with nunchaku demo video clips on yahoo search and then play them frame by frame to see exactly what the guys r doin. A lot of those guys go so fast you dont know what the he!l is goin on ( so i guess it doesnt matter what they're doing.... it's like a, <if it's too fast to see, it must be good> - mentality lol ) But yea, look for video clips - just a suggestion.... good luk

TKD
01-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Believe it or not, I have seen people throw them. They use it as a strike. Kinda useless in my opinion, then you have no weapon, but still. Just wanted to make sure they knew what I was talking about.:) I'll try searching yahoo, thanks for the tip.

Btw, if you could just say what action to execute the throw from, i.e. like the throw from the reverse grab in the figure eight, or the hip rebound throw, I can get the throw mechanics myself.

Here's the only three I know and can execute perfectly so far: The above mentioned figure eight throw from reverse grab, the hip rebound in reverse grab, and the waist rebound in reverse grab. I know there's got to be more out there. So, if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks, TKD

ricksitterly
01-26-2003, 02:17 PM
The more impressive nunchuk moves dont really involve throwing them or switching hands. There are certain ways to twist your wrist and move the arm that make the nunchuk change directions or swing much faster. Also you can move on to using two pair, one in each hand, which is very difficult (but impressive!). I used to be really into weapons too but these days I have my hands full just focusing on my regular hand-to-hand MA training. (especially since nun-chuk are considered a deadly weapon in the state of NY so u cant carry them to defend yourself anyway).

Try: Swinging the nunchuck (basic forward circular motion, gripping the nunchuk so your thumb is up), then quickly twist the wrist downward so the thumb is pointing down. If you do it right, this propells the nunchuk to swing forward much faster and can be incorperated into a strike. Doesnt make sense? Well, my lack of descriptive ability and limited knowlege of anatomy make it hard to explain. Told you so. :) Also there's a move where you let go of the nunchuk as it swings around the back of your hand, and you quickly grab the other side as it swings around (with the same hand). It's easier than it sounds, u just need to see the moves demonstrated.

yenhoi
01-28-2003, 10:18 AM
1) Behind the back throw -

Nunchaku in left hand, go for low behind the back (horizontal) switch, instead, let go, toss in air, catch with right hand immediatly into figure 8s.

Thats a show throw, throwing to hit something I can only think of 4, with each hand, maybe 5:

From shoulder, from armpit, from hip, from around the back switch, from front switch.

I could see a throw off of some type of FMA redondo action, but have never tried.

TKD
01-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Rick I know what you're talking about. We usually incorporate that into the figure eight switch or just the figure eight as an extra spin. The twist thing, not the over the hand one, the over the hand one sounds like just a regular switch.

Yenhoi thanks for the throw! That really looks impressive.

By the way, I can already do two handed Nunchuking. However I find it really restricts move choices when you use them simultaneously(i.e. they tend to hit each other during moves like the figure eight). So you're really restricted to things where the nunchuks don't come really close to each other.

TKD

yenhoi
02-02-2003, 01:56 AM
:D

FMA use 2 nunchaku like 2 sticks, just like that.

Train more.... :eek: