PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Sifu!

Laughing Cow
01-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi All.

Here are a few questions for the people that have become a Sifu either part or full-time, regardless of style or system.

How has teaching affected your own training regime?

Can you get as much personal training time as before?

Do you still study under your old Sifu to advance your skills?

Do you still train the same amount a day/week to advance your own skill?

Has your trainings routine changed since becoming a Sifu, i.e. more or less basics, etc?

Do you now try to advance your skills in a new direction/style/system?

I am talking here purely personal training, not time spent with students.

Just curious how becoming a Sifu would change/impact the advancement of skill and training.

In many styles I hear elders complaining that once some students become teachers their skills seem to become stagnant as they seem to concentrate more on teaching & running Dojo/Dojang/Kwoon than furthering their own skill and thus maybe adding new insights/knowledge back into the style.
Those seem to be mostly JMA and KMA based styles.
Kinda seems that a lot of people after becoming Snesie/Sifu decide that they now reached a goal and don't need to spend as much time advancing their own skill an\ymore.

Not saying that this is happening in CMA too, but I think it is a possible pitfall.

Personally, I see becoming a Sifu and added responsiblity on the path to MA mastery, which should not impact the practicioners own progress on the road towards mastery.

The way I see it if I train x~y hours day after becoming a Sifu it should still be x~y hours a Day + teaching time.

Just curious about how other see this issue and would like to hear different viewpoints.