PDA

View Full Version : The Use Of Martial Arts In The UK

Geezer
01-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Knowing how strict the law is in the UK, if assaulted would you use the knowledge you have to it's fullest.
Would you stick around and wait for the Police to arrive???

Does it ever cross any of the British MAs minds, that if they used they're abilitys to protect themselves or they're familys they might end up going to jail???

Sheldon

planetwc
01-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey Sheldon,

It is probably not much different here in the US. At least here in California you essentially can't have any sort of weapon to defend one's self--possesing them is a felony. :mad:

Can't get a permit to carry a concealed firearm unless you are rich and powerfull.

So I think as in most places you'd need to layout a beat down and then get the hell out of the area. Which also means that the only time one might want to consider engaging in violence is if someone is threatening your life--which is probably just as good.

Stevo
01-21-2003, 05:15 PM
I agree with William Blackstone.

On the street I'd rather not hang around.

Here, the law is now on our side when defending against a home invasion.

Stevo

Ludeviews
01-22-2003, 12:57 PM
yeah mate, you're not the only one!

Just remember, anyone could kill you on the street, Last year there was guy, p!ssed up..think he was about 6'5" and over 16 stone. Don't know the story but he got hit once in the head and was dead by the time he hit the ground. The guy that did it was not a big guy by any means.

Personally if I could make the call to use lesser force great, otherwise I'd try and throw everything I could at this guy....again if the situation allowed I'd hit them pre-emptively.

Police...If there were no witnesses, you would only see a blur as I got out of there!!
If there were witnesses and you didn't stick around it might be hard to explain your case later that you were only acting in self defence (but I don't know?)

but of course eveytime I'd run if I could....one thing that I've gained from Martial Arts is that I could run faster and longer than your average joe bloggs on the street!!!

Stevo
01-22-2003, 10:14 PM
If there were witnesses and you didn't stick around it might be hard to explain your case later that you were only acting in self defence (but I don't know?)

I agree...if there were witnesses, you'd probably have to stay around and take your chances in court. I don't think there's much justice in the legal system and the outcome would largely depend on who had the most expensive/smartest/most eloquent lawyer. It's all about emotional manipulation of jurors. Even if the thug had a previous criminal record, it wouldn't count much in your favour because that information has to be withheld from the jurors.

but of course eveytime I'd run if I could....one thing that I've gained from Martial Arts is that I could run faster and longer than your average joe bloggs on the street!!!

True...another good reason to train for general fitness too.