PDA

View Full Version : 多is my new Sifu going to be good or not多

novicedragon
09-24-2000, 06:41 PM
From what ive found out so far she studdied both northern and southern dragon style kung fu.I asked what rank was she and she said black and gold. I guess after black it goes black/green black/red black/gold GOLD. gold being like grand master she's been studying like 13 or 15 years i cant remeber exactly.is that possible to be that high in that amount of time? also how can you tell if a Sifu is a good teacher bcause they may know it but teaching is a different matter.any help would be greatful.
Thank You

The Whyzyrd
09-24-2000, 07:22 PM
novicedragon - can I ask where you are studying? I spent some time studying Northern Dragon.

novicedragon
09-24-2000, 09:07 PM
I am studying in mesa arizona under sifu cluadia santos. But i dont remember her sifu's name. its is called dragon style kung fu and Lung Jop Pai kung fu academy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

[This message was edited by novicedragon on 09-25-00 at 02:13 PM.]

The Whyzyrd
09-24-2000, 09:20 PM
Sorry, I don't know sifu cluadia santos. I studied in New Jersey. I can ask my old Sifu if he knows her.

As far as the time spent...yes, 15 years is enough to gain such a high level. My Sifu had the same rank (Black and Gold) and he had been studying for a similar period of time (~15 years) though he had received said rank in Northern Dragon and was in turn studying Southern Dragon.

How do you tell if someone is a good teacher?

Are you learning? Do you walk away from class (or during the middle of a class) simply shaking your head - as in, "I don't get it."?

Do you often find yourself behind on routines because the instructor doesn't take the time to show you something? When the instructor does show you something does She use several different ways of saying the same thing until She finds one you (or any other student) understand?

Defining a good teacher often comes down to answering my earlier question - are you learning?

novicedragon
09-24-2000, 09:32 PM
ok have you heard of Lung Jop Pai kung fu?

The Whyzyrd
09-24-2000, 10:20 PM
That is the system I studied - under Sifu Rex McCoy at the Shaolin Kung Fu Institute in Hightstown, NJ. I was there for about 6 years.

I didn't know there was a school down there.

novicedragon
09-25-2000, 04:19 PM
i talked to her last night after class and she said she is black and red not black and gold and she studied under steve martin for southern and studied in new york for northern i cant remeber who her sifu was there but she has been teaching for 3 years and studying for like 13 any more info would be greatly appreciated also is Lung Jop Pai a good system to learn? and she said there are no sashes (ranks) in southern style is that true?

[This message was edited by novicedragon on 09-26-00 at 09:26 AM.]

The Whyzyrd
09-25-2000, 05:06 PM
If she studied in New York than she was most likely a fellow student of my old Sifu.

I liked the system very much. The reason I left was simply that life got in the way and I moved out of the area otherwise I would still be there.

The system is very complex with some 12 or 13 forms (I can't quite remember exactly) plus the traditional weapons. It has all of the various ranges (kicking, punching and grappling) as well as all of the "levels" - meaning high stances (hanging horse) through horse at the middle level down to cross-over (sometimes referred to as a dragon stance) and even lower into ba gua (ground fighting). There are joint locks (chin na) and breaks.

All in all - it a good system.

Depending on the teacher, it can also be a very sprirtual pursuit. This isn't necessarily a part of the system as much the instructor. I was learing meditation as well as tui na and herbal medicine but I think that was more due to my Sifu being VERY interested in such things.

As far as ranks in Southern Dragon - well, again, that varies from school to school (or family to family). There are Sifu's out there who don't really beleive in ranks. You start off with a white sash and when it is dirty enough to be black you get a black one (since you never wash them). When you have learned a certain amount of things, you go before your Sifu's Teacher (ie your Sigung) and test for the rank of Sifu.

On the other hand, there are systems with various color sashes which change every 6 months or so (depending on whether or not you pass your tests).

In my current school, everyone gets a black sash and stripes are added to it for every two tests you pass.

If I remember correctly, when I was studying Lung Jop Pai, my Sifu was studying Southern Dragon under Master Yip and there were no ranks.

Does your school have a web site? Do you have an e-mail address?

Lung Ying
09-25-2000, 10:31 PM
Whyzard-

Did you say that they studied both Northern and Southern Dragon styles at the Shaolin school in NJ? What was the curriculum like,, did they teach the two separately or mixed together?

Thanks

The Whyzyrd
09-25-2000, 11:57 PM
Lung - no, in the Jersey School we only studied Northern. My Sifu was, at the time, studying Southern under Master Yip Hong Wei (I beleive that's it - Master Yip notheless).

novicedragon
09-26-2000, 12:55 AM
no it does not have a web site and my email address is dendrobates@reflexnet.net my sifu has a picture of master yip hanging in the dojo but i dont remeber her sifu in NY