PDA

View Full Version : How is Dit Dar Jow pronounced?

SirenOfAcreLane
01-22-2003, 08:49 AM
I need to go and ask for some as the local Chinese Clinic, but i don't want to sound like an idiot saying the wrong thing.

Could someone spell it out for me pho-net-i-cally, please :)

Thanks.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Also, i had acupuncture for the first time yesterday, and afterwards, i had a temporary flutter on the lens of my left eye, and a slight headache that lasted for the rest of the night.

Is that common?

Serpent
01-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Pronounciation is dit daa jow, almost just as you read it! ;)

However, a lot of shops sell a pretty weak version. If you have a good sifu somewhere it's best to gather the ingredients from a herbalist and make your own. It's easy to make if you can find a good recipe. Search the forums here as there are some good recipies in a few old threads.

As for the acupuncture thing, that sounds a bit dodgy to me but I'll let someone with more knowledge field that question.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-23-2003, 05:14 AM
Serpent is right on the money. The way you wrote it out is the way you should say it. Say Dit (Like tit)with a "D" in front), Da (Russian - yes). And, Jow ( Like "Ow" with the letter "G" in front of it). Hope this helps.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-23-2003, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Usually, i would just buy it online, but this new shop opened up close to me, and from what i can gather, they make everything in the shop. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

cha kuen
02-19-2003, 02:45 PM
I speak cantonese so maybe I can help here. This is how you pronounce it.

"Teet- Tat- Jow"

Teet like FEET
Tat like.. ??
Jow - like "foul" with a "j" "joul" should be close enough.

It's hard cause no words in english have the tones of chinese .