PDA

View Full Version : Sanshou Workout

Arhat of Fury
01-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Hello all,
I just started sanshou training and would like to know what kind of workout would conmpliment this. I am used to the bodybuilding workout but am aware that this will slow me down. I was thinking PTP strength program, but would like to maintin some muscular build for the ladies:D any suggestions. I do like building muscle but this might leave me too sore for training.
We do a lot of endurance training + push ups and stomach in class.

What do you all suggest.

AOF

Kempo Guy
01-22-2003, 12:31 PM
How about a PTP "Bear" program along with some Kettlebell swings and snatches (which is great for endurance)?

You could also do a HIIT style weight training three times a week, along with HIIT style cardio three times per week.

KG

Arhat of Fury
01-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks KG,
I know where to access PTP Bear, where can I get info on Kettlebells and HIIT programs? I know I have seen them on the forum, but would rather read from a published book.

AOF

Suntzu
01-22-2003, 12:56 PM
I just started sanshou training welcome to the real:D...
are u in it to be competitive… or just like to train hard???

if competitive… 'in season' when it comes to weight training consist of cycling heavy compound movements… bench… squats… I don’t do DL's yet… my back wasn’t ready the last time I tried… for maybe a month…next I switch to low weights for high reps… medicine ball work... plyometrics... i take a heavy bag and throw it around like it stole $$$ from me...

off season'… I do whatever… KB's… bodybuilding… max strength… as long as I'm working out and not putting on too much weight…

in season'… I try not to work shoulder too much… shoulder work + puching + getting slammed = painfull mornings… legs I don’t have an issue with too much… squats seem to me to be THE most important… I haven't been able to do them as much as I would like to and i feel a difference from when i was really working them when it comes to throws...

now IF will prolly come in here to debunk what I said but… just experiment and see what gives u the best results… this spring/summer I'm gonna but something together from the "Westside" principles…

Arhat of Fury
01-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Suntzu,

I have just started this training so at this point I am undeclared if I will compete.
But will train as if- and yes, i like to train hard:D
When you are doing your compound movements, what kind of rest do you take between each sets, and how many sets and reps.
Im trying to get a workout that will enable me to build, that will limit soreness/DOMS or sacrifice speed. Kinda contradicts itself huh!

How long have you competed for?

AOF

Suntzu
01-22-2003, 01:27 PM
yeah… I try my best to avoid the sorness… ironically… I'm more sore after BWE than weight training… when I go heavy… I'm 5x5… rest from anywherem from 1-3 minutes… I'm not as scientific with my WT… I keep a log but its not very specific… days are missing... but the WT is not my main focus... the medicine ball and plyometrics is the speed part of the workout... i train speed when i work on san shou... and strength with the weights... i'm sure there is scientific evidence as to the correllation between WT and speed... but whatever... just tryin to keep it simple... and as i'm not 'allowed' to put on too much weight... building and training isnt my strong suit... but the Bear sounds like a winner...

How long have you competed for? just fininshed up my rookie year…

Arhat of Fury
01-22-2003, 01:36 PM
That sounds pretty good, do you find that you maintain weight with that WT program or gain or just get shredded? I will definately incorporate speed drills.
How do you think you did your rookie year.
How long did you train in sanshou before getting into your first comp.
I will try the bear and experiment with the rest.

AOF

Suntzu
01-22-2003, 01:50 PM
I maintain pretty well… the beginning of the cycle I DO do a BB routine… for a kick in the pants… plus I wanna look good for the wushu chicks… but that’s only for like 2 weeks… so the gain is minimal… and this is also the time when I get 'fat'… 5x5 doesn't add much at all... plus i'm beginning to run regularly... so i actually strt to drop weight... altho not much... shredded doesn't come about until near comp time... when i'm dieting(see my other thread)...
4 months training in san shou before my baptism…
I didn't dominate like I wish I could have… my story wont be 'he was undefeated as an amatuer… turn pro… killed 2 lions barehanded… and unified all the belts"… but I think I earned peoples respest as a tuff fighter… I'm like the Mavericks… wont win a title anytime soon but will put a dark spot on your record... but this year should be a differnt story...

Arhat of Fury
01-22-2003, 03:41 PM
SOunds like you ghave done pretty well. I didnt get a chance to see you fight at Cung Le's tourney. How did you do?

I will experiment and see what works best. Do you know where I can find info on kettlebells and the HIIT program.

Is there any tourneys comin up in the Bay Area anytime soon?

AOF

Kempo Guy
01-22-2003, 05:46 PM
You can find a lot of Kettlebell info on this forum (a lot of them by myself :D) and also at the dragon door website. (www.dragondoor.com)

As for HIIT training, there are quite a few good resources on the 'net. HIIT for weights usually is a half-pyramid with a 'pump' set (used quite often in bodybuilding from what I understand). HIIT cardio info you can find here. (http://www.straightblastgym.com/endurance.html#endurance)

Hope this helps.
KG

Suntzu
01-23-2003, 07:02 AM
I didnt get a chance to see you fight at Cung Le's tourney. How did you do? :eek: :rolleyes:

fairtex(k?) has monthly 'smokers'… I know san jose and oakland takes full advantage of those… and Born to Fight III this summer…

Rolling Elbow
01-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Is this a vote for Pavel board! lol...the bear routine is just more sets of 5 reps and eating 5 times as much! Done! Deadlift, side press, lots of sets, eat, rest= bear.