PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shoes do you squat in?

abobo
01-22-2003, 08:22 PM
I know it's a good idea to have a separate pair of shoes for the gym, but I'm still wearing the same old pair of cross trainers. I realize now that I don't want my knees or ankles to suffer undue stress on account of a crummy pair of shoes. Some people squat in their work boots, and I'm sure that powerlifters and Olympic lifters wear a specific shoe. I'm looking to get my hands on some Chuck Taylor All Stars.

So what kind of shoes are you wearing, and how's that working out for you?

cutter
01-23-2003, 12:07 AM
chuck taylors for squats & deadlifts.

IronFist
01-23-2003, 12:45 AM
Yeah, Converse All Stars are supposed to be good for Squats and Deads.

But since I don't have any, I work out in my old Airwalks.

The general rule is that you want a pretty flat shoe, that's low to the ground (especially helps with deadlifts because you can get under the bar more). And also, shoes that give too much support can be bad because then you're relying on the shoe and not on your own structure and muscles.

I've heard squatting barefoot is good, but I'm not sure of many gyms that would allow it. I wouldn't try it in just socks, because it might be slippery.

Good luck.

IronFist

Ford Prefect
01-23-2003, 07:43 AM
I use my Chuck Taylor's if I'm going to be squatting heavy. Anything with a flat sole will do.

TigerJaw
01-23-2003, 08:09 AM
I'll have to stop wearing those stilletos to squat in then will I?

Sorry

Ford Prefect
01-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Yes. And your cross-trainers too. The dress is optional though.

Kempo Guy
01-23-2003, 09:03 AM
I usually lift barefoot.

KG

guohuen
01-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Ditto.

abobo
01-23-2003, 10:42 AM
I will definitely get some Chuck Taylor's. I hope they still make the good colors, like green.

And then I'll need one of those "Shut up and Squat" shirts.

rubthebuddha
01-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by abobo
I will definitely get some Chuck Taylor's. I hope they still make the good colors, like green.

And then I'll need one of those "Shut up and Squat" shirts.
an even better shirt to lift in. (http://www.spacemoose.com/flaccid.gif)

sure to impress all the gym bunnies.

:D

Rolling Elbow
01-23-2003, 08:19 PM
In-door soccer shoes or my old worn out TKD shoes which are worn through to my foot on the balls of both the left and right shoes...nothing is closer to bare feet than that..Either way, both shoes are flat.

Cheese Dog
01-23-2003, 10:47 PM
I always lift in bare feet. Of course, I lift at home. Most gyms probably wouldn't let you. (You might drop a weight on your delicate tootsies!) If you have to wear shoes, something flat-soled and light, so it doesn't give you much support.

abobo
07-08-2004, 02:46 PM
For those of you who do Olympic lifts, do you wear a shoe with a flat sole or a heel?

Ford Prefect
07-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Flat with as thin a sole as possible. Lots of guys use aqua socks.

FooFighter
07-08-2004, 04:18 PM
I usually wear Samoa Adidas when I dead lift or squats. I do not like converse and they look ugly on me. I think barefoot squats are hardest of all. For example, today I held a 40 lb DB in one arm while I perform a barefoot pistols and it is much harder than doing them with shoe wear.

FatherDog
07-09-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm another one with CT Allstars.