PDA

View Full Version : Does Mantis or Tiger style KFs appeal to certain body types?

BIGtiny
01-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Posted this in another thread, but i thought it might be a good thread on it own. Does Mantis or Tiger appeal to certain body types? A friend is tall and thin or wiry , and I myself am not as tall but more muscular. Does Tiger style KF or 7* Mantis suite either of our body types more than the other? Does it really matter, other then personal preference?
Thanks All!
-tiny

TaoBoy
01-23-2003, 03:49 PM
I don't believe body size/type has anything to do with choosing a martial art. I do both SPM and BJJ and we have people of all sizes at both schools and everyone who trains their asses off is good enough.

GLW
01-23-2003, 05:29 PM
anyone can learn any style.

However, it WILL be easier to learn a particular style and excel at it if your body structure aligns with that style's requirements.

For example, Tiger - tigers are strong and forceful...and hopefully quick. A strong frame and muscles with good fast twitch speed muscles as well would work... Thin with less power muscle mass would not.

That does not mean that the thin person couldn't learn and do Tiger well...just that it would be harder for them.

Northern - long legs and flexible is better...thinner body build is usually better than chunky....

But I have seen some chunky folks do well...they DID have to work harder at it to be as good.