PDA

View Full Version : Effective Kicking?

hongkongfooey
01-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Is there a way to check how strong ,fast and how much impact your kicking does?....and how effective is a side kick in a fight?...you might miss....or the guy can sidestep....

Losttrak
01-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Wait til you have been practising/sparring hard for over 2 years. Then ask yourself that question. The sidekick in general is a strong kick (only to be beat by the back kick). Its all about how you use it and how much strength & speed you have in your legs. Also, the sidekicks power is as much decided by your standing leg... as it is with the kicking leg. As far as missing... how to make your attack reach its target with 100% accuracy is what fighting is all about. There are no promises of success with anything attack... its all in application.

No_Know
01-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Kick a big wall with no one on the other side of it. However far you get knocked back indicates the force of the kick.

When you no longer get knocked back after landing a solid kick. back-up and kick. Look a t the bounce (rebound/reverb) test for the new distance. Follow the steps until you are kicking nearly fully extended and not getting knocked back by your own kick. also the closer to parallel your body is to the level ground. The worse your kicking skill. -ish

Test stopping the foot after you start the kick and then starting back-up. The ability to start-up kicking from almost any point after getting it off of the ground no matter howmany stops you make might be helpful against the side stepping And the missing.

wall
01-24-2003, 10:22 AM
If you do that hard enough it seems to me like a certain way to completely damage you knee and possibly hip and ancle and lower back joints due to the massive jarring. Sorry but sounds like a pretty st...d idea. Jarring full forward momentum into a solid object causing full backwards momentum = nasty IMO. Plus it's a silly test because it measures the push not the snapping power, and it's the "penetration" that does the damage not the push.

Strike on the other hand something that offers resistance but ultimately moves, like a heavy bag. Don't look for the bag to swing high, but look for the bag to "bend in half" where you hit. If you can make the bag not swing much but "bend" a lot, and leave a big dent in the striking point after a series of 10-20 kicks, you've got good kicking power.

Always remember to reach full extension after the target, thus kick "through" the target, and that speed and snap is the key, not push. You want to break your opponent on the spot, not just harmlessly push him of :)

C

hongkongfooey
01-24-2003, 08:17 PM
thanks for the advice...i'll take it into consideration..:D

TkdWarrior
01-24-2003, 09:02 PM
?....and how effective is a side kick in a fight?...you might miss....or the guy can sidestep....
well if u miss then u need more LIVE training with partners...
guy is side stepping then the problems is u r in tournament :D
in reality u'll find no space for side kick as normally ppl charge on (from wat i hav seen)
n side kick doenst mean that u should kick his face, u can do it in middle or on Knee... hav all options open
-TkdWarrior-

Kungfu boy
01-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Everything has its place dude. What you can't get to work, others might be able to. I know a prison guard who I train with right now thats helping me with the side kick and other TKDish type of stuff. I'm working on more variety in my kicking game. I just recently "relearned" the traditional basics.(see below) He can knock me around like a play thing using his tkd stuff only, which translates to the fact he could destroy me with his Thai. He can get things to work I can't. He's used the side kick a couple of times at the prison aiming mainly for the knee to upper pelvic/lower stomach region.

I believe the side kick is best done at a close range though which minimizes the chances of missing. Or make it a side pendlum(sp?) kick, just a quick pop in and out. If ya want to be really mean, pop the guy right on the shin with the heel of a good boot. It'll probably drop'em right there and if not they don't wanna screw with ya anymore.

Below: I did kuk sool won for about 6 months. Things weren't going right there for me. I learned the basic kicks like round, cresent, side etc. But I wasn't allowed to progress at the speed I wanted.... I was a fast learner in the technique area. Also there were other issues with the organization I couldn't understand. Now I am a serious student of muay thai. I got so used to the thai kick motion I couldn't do a basic round kick to save my life about a month ago. Kinda ironic......... what was easy for me is now extremely hard.

Later

Brian

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-25-2003, 03:20 PM
"I wasn't allowed to progress at the speed I wanted"

fa_jing
01-25-2003, 06:40 PM
The best test of the power in your kicks is the airshield, especially if your partner has a good stance. Try to knock your partner back, you can feel all the different types of power, etc.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-25-2003, 08:55 PM
i like it when they dont have a good stance and fall over.

Cheese Dog
01-27-2003, 12:45 AM
An airshield or thai pads. Or sparring in body armor.