PDA

View Full Version : Shin splints

awakenwired
01-24-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm having a real difficult time finding alot of info on this topic. In class I can feel the pain comming on after my left foot receives some inpact from landing a jump in a form or what ever. In class it starts out as a dull pain. Sometimes it will fade before class is over but then later while relaxing at home it will strike with severe vengence out of the blue. People tell me to wrap it tight with an ace bandage or brace, others say to ice it, then heat it.

These all seem to work to an extent but they seem to merely ease pain and serve as a temporary solution. Is there any kind of excersice or stretch that could help condition the muscle to end all of this? For those that don't know, or incase there are different types of shin splints mine is severe sharp pain (resembling a sledge hammer to the shin) in the front/inside area, slightly lower than middle. Any advice on this subject would be greatly appretiated. Thanks.

rubthebuddha
01-24-2003, 12:25 PM
common problem with any activity that involves hard impact on hard ground -- i had it playing tennis.

the best way to deal with shin splints that i know of is to strengthn the muscle on the front of the shin. wraps and stuff will only help the symptons, but the problem will remain. strengthen the muscle, and the problem will probably go away.

here's a simple exercise, and you can do it sitting on your duff in your office or on the couch watching tv:

1. extend leg out
2. keeping the leg out, try to point your toes back toward your body.
3. relax foot/shin
4. repeat

do two sets of 20 of these each foot a couple times per week, ideally when you're working out your calves. your shins will like you, and we all know that chicks DIG guys with strong posterior tibial muscles.

lowsweep
01-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Ive had these for a while and ran on them until i got stress fractures in both legs. Believe me, stop when they really hurt, a little pain is ok but make sure youre on ibuprofen (take 1.5 times the recommended limit for two weeks and stay off your legs is what 3 doctors told me). Also stretch and ice the affected area before AND after youre on them and look into arch support. You can try to work through them for a while but if this doesn't work you're looking at 3 weeks of advil, ice cups, and staying away from running.

mantis-1
01-28-2003, 06:44 AM
I agree with rub the budda....

I used to have this problem, when I researched a bit more I read that it can be caused by an inbalance between the calf muscles and the muscles that cover the shin (the calfs being more powerful than the muscles over the shin). By exercising the front muscles more I dont get pains anymore.

well thats my 2 cents worth

awakenwired
02-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Great thanks for the advice. I'll definately start excercising that area every chance I get. And maybe start taking ibprofen before starting anything that I know may cause the symptoms to flair up. Thanks again for the help.