PDA

View Full Version : Question about cardio for ectomorphs

IronFist
01-24-2003, 10:54 AM
This was the same post I made on Pavel's forum.

After many years out of martial arts classes, I just joined an NHB club at my University. Ok. I need a bit more endurance than what I've gotten from the past 3 years of weight lifting. Here's the problem. I already eat like a freaking horse just to maintain my weight (170, 5'9", 8%bf). My metabolism is very fast and I've pretty much avoided cardio for the past 3 years because of this. Keeping what muscle I've gained is very important to me.

So here comes the stupid question. Is it possible to do cardiovascular exercise without stimulating the metabolism? I would assume not, since things like prolonged muscular exertion and heavy breathing speed up the metabolism, but maybe you guys know something I don't.

Keep in mind the purpose of the cardio I'm looking for is just to be able to fight longer, not lose bodyfat.

Please don't recommend KB's, because I don't have them, I can't afford them, and my shoulders are already overdeveloped and huge enough; they don't need more stimulation :)

So if there's some secret way of running or something that prevents weightloss, someone please let me know what it is.

Why am I afraid the answer is just going to be "do cardio and eat even more to compensate"?

Thanks,

IronFist

Ford Prefect
01-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey IF,

I don't think it's possible for us to do cardio with no effect at all, but I think there are ways to minimize the effect. There is a thread about HIIT right now on here, and I think that is the best bet. In HIIT, you won't really be taxing your body's glycogen stores and other energy systems as much as in a prolonged effort like jogging. It's more akin to running some wind sprints than it is to a long jog. However, it is more effective in raising your VO2 max and burning fat.

If you have a versa-climber (climbing cardio machine) in your gym, than use this. It's a full-body workout much akin to fighting and a killer. ;) I'd recommend doing some light jogging (20-30 minutes) for a few weeks before hopping right into the HIIT. I know it's a pain. I've just started cardio again myself since I cut it completely out when bulking. If I don't then I go nowehere. I always give myself a few weeks on the light jogging or biking before doing anything more demanding.

Kempo Guy
01-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Da*n it! I was gonna suggest high-rep KB's or dumbell swings/snatches... :D

I would also suggest looking into HIIT training. However, I have read studies that show your metabolism increasing substantially by doing HIIT type program (especially post workout) as opposed to regular jogging/stairmaster etc.

KG

IronFist
01-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
Da*n it! I was gonna suggest high-rep KB's or dumbell swings/snatches... :D

I would also suggest looking into HIIT training. However, I have read studies that show your metabolism increasing substantially by doing HIIT type program (especially post workout) as opposed to regular jogging/stairmaster etc.

KG

Yeah, huge metabolism increases is exactly what I don't want.

I think the best training may just be sparring for 3 minute rounds or something. That way I'm developing endurance for what I need to do, and getting some training in at the same time.

And of course, increase my food even more to compensate most likely.

Thanks for the replies. But this post isn't ending the thread so if anyone else has any more ideas post them.

IronFist

FatherDog
01-24-2003, 03:15 PM
I think the best training may just be sparring for 3 minute rounds or something.

I agree. Ford gave me that advice to my own query along these lines, and I've found it to be very much the case.

Once you've got a certain base level of cardiovascular fitness, it seems like sport-specific training is the most effective thing to do.

Besides, it's way more fun than running wind sprints :D

yenhoi
01-24-2003, 08:55 PM
I didnt read the whole thread but whoever suggested HIIT type training and 3minute round type stuff is pretty smart. Thats real - fighting - endurance, quicker to develope, maintain, and more useful to the heavily training martial artist.

Im a ectomorph and I currently do nearly all my training in 3 or 5 minute rounds with 1-2 minute rests. I eat like a horse tho.

:eek:

stubbs
01-26-2003, 08:53 AM
run and drink guinness. worked for me :D
________
Interracial sex (http://www.****tube.com/categories/25/interracial/videos/1)

Eread
01-27-2003, 09:30 AM
I was under the impression that while endurance training burns a great deal while it's going on, it didn't raise your resting metabolism.

While weight training doesn't burn as much while pumping, but increases the metabolism at rest.

If I'm right, perhaps Iron Fist could do light jogging like 30 min. twice a week or something. To build up endurance but not burn too much.

Then again, I have a feeling I'm wrong about this..:)

Eread

Kempo Guy
01-27-2003, 10:30 AM
Eread,

The metabolism gets raised post-workout for up to 3 or 4 hours when HIIT/Tabata type protocols are used (I call this effect the 'afterburn' effect :)).

If it's a typical 45-minute "low-intensity" cardio (like the people you often see on treadmills/stairmaster at the local healthclub) the metabolism gets raised during the workout, but you will not achieve much of a "afterburn".

KG