PDA

View Full Version : Injuries

FongSaiYuk
09-27-2000, 07:10 PM
O.K. Let's start a thread on treating injuries. Most of us know of and/or use dit da jow for our bruises. How about some ways to treat sprains (ex. fingers)? Also, how about a "deep" or bone bruise that dit da jow just can't seem to cure. Hopefully we can share some ideas here. I'm also hoping that people who are experienced with Chinese medicine will share some knowledge. --FSY
ˇ

09-28-2000, 12:02 AM
fong sai yuk,

for dep bruise(bones), i teach and use the herbal powders, mix it with your dit dar jau and heat it up. put it on some glad wrap if you dont have any thing else. with gause and some tin chut(herb) and apply to area. keep it on for 24 hours min.
never pull a spain, always rotate.....

i learnt dit dar in hong kong. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ross
09-28-2000, 12:14 AM
There are lots of ways to treat sprains but there ia a novel approach that could be usd by anyone , without any training,to treat simple sprains of the fingers of whatever.

A sprain, if that is what you are trating ,affects the joint. Usually a ligament is overstretched or the joint capsule is irritated.

There is also the possibility of having what could be called a "positional fault". This is where the jont is out of kilter slightly and the normal sliding motions are impaired.

For this technique youtake the painful joint and see which direction you can push the joint(for a finger usually across the joint) to make it PAINLESS to then bend and straighten the joint. If you do this and it woeks you repeat the procedure a few times and magically the joint will be OK. If you can't find a direction in which pushing across the joint relieves the pain then you probably have a irritated joint or a sprained ligament.

Treatment for these can often be as simple as again applying slight sliding motion to the joint to stretch it without causing any pain. This should be a slight stretch, held for anywhere from 5-20 seconds as long as it isn't irritating. Similarly applying a bit of compression and moving the joint may allow a gentle stretch to scars and return movements to normal. In these types of problems stretches should be 3-4 times a day for 2-3 three weeks. The stretch should be uncomfortable but not painful and it should ease afterwards within two minutes.

I could ramble for awhile more but these few simple techniques will help to put control over sprains back, so to speak, in your own hands.

Hope I saved a few people a few pounds(sterling). Most professional care will come at costs of 20 > 100$ a session depending on where you are.

I obviously work more from a western perspective although I have some TCM training (minor). Anybody with a AMMA or TUINA background have similar ideas?

Cheers, Ross

I said to her, "For you who are so old but forever young I have many questions."
She said to me, "And I have but one answer - you must be a silhouette of the dragon against the moon"

Brian_CA
09-30-2000, 08:27 AM
Hi Ya'll

As a Yoga and Body Rolling instructor, I feel I may have something postive to contribute. I have worked this type of injury in my own body and in clients. This post is a little long so please bear with me.

With the treatment of sprains, alot of it has to do with how old the injury is. Older sprains do tend leave scar tissue at the joints and ligaments. However a muscle sprain is a "ribboning" of the muscle groups. It is possible to massage out the areas of injury. The newer the injury the better. If you can get the muscle band to unwind, you can avoid scar tissue at the joints and ligaments. Muscle testing is the best method for finding EXACT areas. But a easier method is deeply massage the areas of pain out. When the patient winces in pain you know you have got it. Feel out the area for slight areas that are "Lumpy". Apply pressure (not hard pressure, even pressure) until the muscle begins to release. The process my need to be repeated over a period of until the it stops ribboning.

I hope this has helped a little. I am looking forward to trying some of the techniques in newsgroup out! Thanks a bunch Gang!

Brian_CA
San Francisco, CA

Ross
09-30-2000, 03:03 PM
Just to be picky......the traditional definition of sprain is an injury to a joint while the term strain is applied to injuries to the muscles/fascia etc. Not important clinically but often pain from a joint can be projected out onto the muscles. A good way to try to tell the difference is that joint pain is worse with stretch/twist/shear while muscle pain tends to be worse with contraction, particularly if the muscle is on stretch.

Cheers, Ross

meltdawn
09-30-2000, 04:40 PM
I have one thing to contruibute and one thing to ask.

True sprains damage the tough, semi-elastic tendon or ligament fibers. These fibers, because of their nature, take longer to heal and one must NOT go back to strenuous work too soon, or reinjury will occur in the weakened area. However, using this area in it's regular motion once the initial trauma has subsided is neccessary to assure the new fibers/scar tissue will regrow along the same vertical path as the original. Some schools of thought believe the new "toughened by scar tissue" tendons or ligaments are stronger. I suppose this is like the idea that broken knuckles are tougher.

My question regards what I believe to be a "boxer's break". Yes, I did it, and yes, I'm embarrassed that I did it. To clarify, I have injured the ring finger knuckle by an incorrect punch. This happened several months ago. I treated it, and also immobilized it because of the pain. Now it does not hurt continuously, but if I accidentally move the finger sideways towards the middle finger, I get shooting pain, and it lasts for a bit. I've palpitated the area, and can't seem to locate an enlarged tendon sheath, and the break might just be a hairline fracture. Any suggestions?

Meltdawn

BearBear
02-23-2003, 05:24 AM
:)just bring this topic back up...

Sho
02-23-2003, 05:50 AM
:D