PDA

View Full Version : What does your fighting stance look like?

IronFist
01-24-2003, 11:00 AM
If you're sparring or fighting or whatever, against a non-WC person, how do you usually stand?

Tell me how your feet are.

But I'm more curious as to how you position your arms...

1. If you keep them in the traditional WC position, why?

2. If you don't use a traditional WC position, and adopt something more like boxing or a MMA type stance*, how do you feel this affects your ability to perform WC techniques? (ie. tan or bong sao from a boxing stance vs. tan or bong sao from a WC stance)

*I'm referring to a modified boxing stance similiar to how some MMA competitors stand. If this applies to you, please explain your stance.

Thanks.

IronFist

azwingchun
01-24-2003, 11:25 AM
At first I thought, this was a strange question, though when I think about it I do adopt a slightly different stance and posture when in a real fight then when teaching my students. The reason for this is that students tend to want to copy what their teacher does. And can pick up possible bad habits. I remember questioning one of my old Wing Chun teachers about why he seemed out of structure, his reply was 'do as I say and not as I do'. His reply right after that was 'learn what Wing Chun has to offer before you try to short cut it'.

I guess I stick to very structured positioning when teaching, but when I fight I adopt a more relaxed position with my hands, this being the biggest difference. My stance stays very much the same, though I am more relaxed with my hands. What I mean is I tend to have the man sau wu sau positioning but with the palms with a more forward facing position. A more non-aggressive posture in a way.

;)

reneritchie
01-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally, back in Foshan, our system used a Kim Yeung Ma and Mun/Wu posture in pre-engagement. Later, my Sigung changed this to a normal, almost casual posture with no externally visible telegraphs. I learned both and prefer the latter.

UltimateFighter
01-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by reneritchie
Originally, back in Foshan, our system used a Kim Yeung Ma and Mun/Wu posture in pre-engagement. Later, my Sigung changed this to a normal, almost casual posture with no externally visible telegraphs. I learned both and prefer the latter.

If you mean standing there with both hands by your side that is not a fight stance. It is alright in some cases when out of range to not give off an agresive signal but you will need your hands up if it gets closer to conversation range where most fights start.

David Jamieson
01-26-2003, 11:47 AM
when sparring, or faced with a potential adversary, the stances i naturally assume are the Kim yeung Ma, or 60/40.

It allows for mobility and take very little energy and provides the triangle, balance and centre to begin the work.

cheers

yenhoi
01-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Robert Chu talks about "assuming structure" here (http://www.chusaulei.com/martial/articles/articles_selfdefense.html)

Way better then renerichie's answer.... :D

When sparring etc, I have a typical JKD guard and stance, doesnt change how WCk works.

Where your hands are when you square off means very little. What messes with me the most is gloves with too much wrist support, actually any wrist support sucks.

wingchunalex
01-26-2003, 03:29 PM
feet sholder width apart, 60% weight on back let, 40% on front. right foot facing forward, left foot facing to the left. (backward L stance), knees bent. my forward arm is in the "jong" position and my rear arm is in the wu sau position. with my forward arm my hand is either forward or i turn it 45 degrees in the tan sau direction so the back of my hand sort of faces my opponent (hope that makes sence).

OdderMensch
01-26-2003, 04:11 PM
0 weight on the forward foot, 100% on the rear, feet parralel to each other , knees bent, adduction between the knees. Hips locked forward.

Forward leg has the forward hand in a bent 'mann sau' rear hand in a 'wu sau' elbows down.

sometimes I will set up into a YGKMY just to mess with the other guys head a little :D