PDA

View Full Version : Grandmaster Tchoung Ta-tchen's Symmetrical Old Yang style ta chi

phantom
01-24-2003, 02:29 PM
I have read that this style has some movements from Nature style of kung fu, pa kua, hsing-I, guang ping tai chi, and varoius animal styles in it. It also makes use of stick and knife forms from beggar's style and wu and yang tai chi. How big of a part do these styles make up grandmaster Tchoung's Old Yang Tai chi style? Also, it seems to me that many sifus of this style also teach Guang Ping tai chi. What is the reason for that? Finally, does anybody sell any good books or videos on this style? Thanks in advance.

ddh
01-29-2003, 07:42 PM
was promoted and taught by master Kuo in Taiwan after the war. A large number of well know martial arts practitioners were all in the same small town (Taipei) at the same time, so, it is natural to assume that they knew one other and interacted. Master Kuo (relatively unknown outside of traditional and older circles of martial arts) was well respected and no doubt taught a number of other practitioners the methods and forms taught him by Wang Jiao Yu (Yang Pan Hou's student.) This historic time period and the relationships between masters in Taipei in the late 40s and early 50s is something to be researched. I personally think people from that period helped one another quite a bit (following Sun Yat Sin's make the people healthy concept) and unfortunately, the younger ones from that time are dying of old age. Chiang Yun Chun is in his mid-80s and still alive. He studied with master Kuo and others at that time. It might be a good idea to contact him at Wen Wu school in the SF bay area and ask about Guang Ping and master Tchoung. It's an interesting question!