PDA

View Full Version : UFC/Pride

grifter721
01-25-2003, 12:55 AM
I was just perusing through the main board and I saw something on Kung fu in the pride/ufc type things...
They lost obiously, I say obviously becaue I think that the people that join these things are absolutely WORTHLESS at their styles of Kung fu. I have seen quite a few kung fu vs the world clips/videos and the level of skill has just bneen SHEEEEEEET.

So my question is what do you guys think about Kung fu in Pride, and Ufc?
I think that if a legitamate contender actuially steps into the ring liek a fully trained and knowlegeable Mnatis guy walks in there everybody is finsished....IF THEY KNOW WHat they are doing. \(Unless there is a lucky punch, everybody gets lucky)

I watch the ufc and pride and most not all of these guys dont know how to effectivly attack......Only a few of these MMA guys do I give espect to...B.j Penn, ortiz...TO AN extent, cuz he would get EATEN by a good Mantis dude....and a few others that I dint care to remebr their names....

so yeah waht do you gusy think of Mantis in the ufc and the ufc in general

SevenStar
01-25-2003, 05:45 PM
So my question is what do you guys think about Kung fu in Pride, and Ufc?
I think that if a legitamate contender actuially steps into the ring liek a fully trained and knowlegeable Mnatis guy walks in there everybody is finsished....IF THEY KNOW WHat they are doing. \(Unless there is a lucky punch, everybody gets lucky)

people said the same thing about wing chun until a wc guy stepped in the ring and got molested... Then they all said the guy that entered was no good. The same thing would happen if a mantis guy entered - if he lost you would hear "But he wasn't a GOOD mantis guy"

I watch the ufc and pride and most not all of these guys dont know how to effectivly attack......Only a few of these MMA guys do I give espect to...

Step into the ring and make them look bad then...

ortiz...TO AN extent, cuz he would get EATEN by a good Mantis dude....and a few others that I dint care to remebr their names....

I'd love to see it. but face it, a mantis guy will not set foot into the octagon. I think CMA in general could do well, if they trained for the fight properly. This includes learning some ground work also.

quiet man
01-25-2003, 05:51 PM
I think Bob Sapp needs to learn Bagua zhang ;)

ShaolinTiger00
01-25-2003, 06:05 PM

When I fell to the ground from the laughter, I hit my head on my desk.
Swear to God.

This is why kungfu is finished.

fa_jing
01-25-2003, 06:43 PM
"When I fell to the ground from the laughter, I hit my head on my desk.
Swear to God."

More time practice breakfalls you!!

:D

Stacey
01-25-2003, 07:51 PM
UFC 6 and 7

UFC alternate Joel Sutton was trained by Grandmaster Sun and won both of his fights with specific training the Grandmaster gave him. After that he got ****y, got fat, stopped training with Grandmaster and sought out the gracies. He has never won since.

He learned basic kicking, punching, throwing and iron head.

In amateur UFC matches, 8 step fighters from the midwest have won competitions in Sioux City and in South Dakota.

Pure mantis. The difference is the intensity of training. Those guys that won train upwards of 5 hours a day and do 150 single leg squats, 30,000 punches in an hour, lots of tai chi, app training and sparring.

your 2 hours a week won't make you a baddass.

Felipe Bido
01-25-2003, 08:56 PM
****, Stacey, that was sweet

Sho
01-26-2003, 04:50 AM
I agree 100% with Stacy. Most of the kung fu people's training is just inadequate compared to the guys who actually win in these competitions. 42 hours of intensive training per week focusing on the ring sport would give kung fu practitioners more chance of winning in UFC or Pride. The MMA guys competing in these events only train for the ring, thus they are adept in the ring.

David Jamieson
01-26-2003, 07:04 AM
it's true, a very large percentage of people currently enrolled in Martial arts schools, (any martial arts school) are not training for uFC or NHB matches.

If you don't train for an event, then you likely aren't going to do well in it. It has little to do with "this style" or "that style" and just what is a "good" kungfu stylist anyway?

In short, there isn't any martial art out there that has the answers. a martial art is a template, the practitioner is the result.

cheers

Oso
01-26-2003, 08:29 AM
hasn't this been done before???

it's the training, or lack there of.

anyway...

OT to this thread but PRIDE oriented...
I notice that the local Suncoast has a bunch of PRIDE
tapes pretty reasonably priced. Can anyone point me to
some specific fights/match ups that are pretty good from
a technical standpoint? I'm not especially interested in
the more brutal fights but in who was using good technique.
Regardless of style.

TIA

Matt

ShaolinTiger00
01-26-2003, 08:43 AM
Its not just the amount of time training boys, its the techniques trained that are just as important.

Give me a guy training NHB 2x/week and he'll school a 2x/week wing chun(example) 9 outta 10..

You put a "praying mantis" guy in the ring and even though he's been training his style for 6 hours a day/ 6 days a week for the last year preparing for the fight. - he's going to get mauled.

fa jing- good point!;)

Volcano Admim
01-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Rallekum: We wants it, we needs it. Must have the Preciousss. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, filthsss!
SholinTrigeron: "No! No! Master!"
Rallekum: Yess. Preciousss first. They will cheat you, hurt you, lie!
SholinTrigeron: Master's my friend.
Rallekum: You don't have any friends. Nobody likes you.
SholinTrigeron: Not listening. Not listening.
Rallekum: You´re a liar, and a thief.
SholinTrigeron: No.
Rallekum: Murderer!
SholinTrigeron: Go away.
Rallekum: Go away?! Ahahhaa!
SholinTrigeron: I hate you, I hate you.
Rallekum: Where would you be without me? RALLEKUM! RALLEKUM! I saved us. It was me. We survived because of me.
SholinTrigeron: Not anymore.
Rallekum: What did you say?
SholinTrigeron: Master looks after us now. We don't need you.
Rallekum: What?
SholinTrigeron: Leave now and never come back.
Rallekum: No!
SholinTrigeron: Leave now and never come back!
Rallekum: Ahh!
SholinTrigeron: LEAVE NOW AND NEVER COME BACK!

[Silence]

SholinTrigeron: We told him to go away! And away he goes, preciousss. Gone, gone, gone, SholinTrigeron is free!

;)

ShaolinTiger00
01-26-2003, 09:16 AM
LOL !

Oso
01-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Its not just the amount of time training boys, its the techniques trained that are just as important.

Give me a guy training NHB 2x/week and he'll school a 2x/week wing chun(example) 9 outta 10..

You put a "praying mantis" guy in the ring and even though he's been training his style for 6 hours a day/ 6 days a week for the last year preparing for the fight. - he's going to get mauled.

agreed, mostly.

I still believe the information is in most CMA systems to compete
in some of these events but it's not trained with the intensity or
attitude that nhb/mma people are training, sadly enough.

but anyway, I guess I'll post my other question in the martial
media forum.

Merryprankster
01-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Sigh,

NO THEY DON'T!!! The guys at the VERY top (UFC and PRIDE) are pros and do it constantly. Ditto for the guys just below those levels. But there are plenty of venues for the new amateur. Fire and Ice, Excalibur, Reality Fighting, Sportfighting, just to name a few. I believe Battlejax throws some amateur events.

The guys doing the ringfighting at these levels are 6 day a week amateurs too--like me.

Chang Style Novice
01-26-2003, 07:39 PM
What was "no they don't" responding to, Merry?

SevenStar
01-26-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
What was "no they don't" responding to, Merry?

my guess is this:

"I still believe the information is in most CMA systems to compete
in some of these events but it's not trained with the intensity or
attitude that nhb/mma people are training, sadly enough."

Brad Souders
01-26-2003, 10:47 PM
If u think with the way the evolution of MMA has grown u can go out with a one style mind set you are very very wrong.

Box a wrestler, Wrestle a boxer is a good quote BUT What do you put behind ? a MMAer. The answer is what?

Brad " i didn't read past the first post" Souders

BTW Merry when u start coming to the Chambersburg event and we get everything rolling i'll be sure to keep your belt polished for you. I'll try and keep it as shiny as what mine will be. ;)

Chang Style Novice
01-26-2003, 10:57 PM
Sevenstar -

I thought it could be that, but I couldn't figure out who the "they" might be.

SevenStar
01-26-2003, 11:03 PM
"they" are the cma guys who don't train with the same intensity as the mma guys

Oso
01-27-2003, 04:25 AM
Sigh,

NO THEY DON"T !!!

seven, csn: yep, I think it was my statement that seemed to
frustrate the merryprankster. I'm not sure I understand the
frustrated response if I'm agreeing with his opinion.

matt

Ging Mo Fighter
01-27-2003, 08:04 AM
its not just chinese martial artists who arn't winning UFC, its karate guys, and taekwondo as well that gets a working over..

you've just gotta be realistic about what your training for and why this is happening..

a well trained and fairly large ground fighter will usually be able to slip into a strikers range and take him down, once that happens the striker is in a big pile of trouble..

So, how does a kungfu fighter destroy a purely ground fighter? That would probably rely almost totally on his attack, he must be able to attack the ground fighter and finish him off in 4 - 5 attacks or less.. Is this possible?

We must remember that you cannot run away in the UFC, if you get a good punch in, and the guy falls over, you can't run away, and leave the situation like you would on a street when you are outnumbered for example..

I like to look at it like this, grapplers RULE (And are undisputed champions) of the Cage match (UFC etc..) because these matches are always 1 vs 1, controlled, and favour submission (in a number of ways)

Strikers are safer at fighting multiple oponents, safer at ending a streetfight before things get nasty and can also be a far superior force to be reckoned with once they are trained with weapons, or to attack pressure points and weak spots

If you wanna win matches, go grappling, if you wanna be a street safe fighter, who can handle himself when sh1t gets nasty go kungfu :)

just my 2 thoughts, without trying to generalise 2 much

Ging Mo Fighter
01-27-2003, 08:07 AM
p.s. most streetfights ive seen are guys getting mugged by 5 - 10 people, and they are purely defensive (ie the guy is trying to run away whilst throwing a few well placed punches)

what the fu|ck would a grappler do? use a takedown ???? HAH

Merryprankster
01-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Oops. Sorry guys. 8 hour car trips'll do that to you...

I was responding to the idea that ringfighters spend their whole lives doing this. The truth is that most of us have jobs and stuff. So we train maybe 4 hours a day, with all the sacrifices that entails. It's a matter of focus and intensity. I don't mean training focus... I mean mental focus.

No Ging Mo, the grappler would use his superior ability to move other people to place one of them off balance between him and the bulk of his assailants so he could leave.

Or, he'd bleed a lot. Just like anybody else in a 10 on 1 fight. Or are you going to tell us the secret techniques for fighting 10 people at a time.

Skarbromantis
01-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Forget 10 how about just 1, with a big knife, are you going to try to take him to the ground?

The MMA thing is soooooo overrated, I can understand if you are not training hard but this...

ShaolinTiger00 posted:

please explain, why would he get mauled?

Skard1

Merryprankster
01-27-2003, 12:49 PM
No. I'm going to practice Run-fu, unless I am forced to fight, and then I'm going to look for a weapon. I have no idea how to knife disarm. And quite frankly, neither does anybody else here, despite what they'd like to think.

You get in a knife fight and you're going to get stuck, period. Unless you're REALLY lucky. Fancy knife disarms aren't going to save you. It's going to be grit, common sense, and controlling the knife hand.

If you're smart, you'd run too. Kicks and punches are no match for a guy who has a big knife and doesn't mind using it on you.

ShaolinTiger00
01-27-2003, 01:03 PM
"Forget 10 how about just 1, with a big knife, are you going to try to take him to the ground?"

YES!
"
I'm a big fan of movie swordfights. "The Three Musketeers," "The Duellists," I love those kind of flicks. A street knife-fight is not a duel. People do not stand at arms-length and thrust and parry, like the duelists in a movie choreographed by William Hobbs, allowing a kick or well-timed parry to disarm the attacker. A KNIFE FIGHT IS A GRAPPLING MATCH!!!!! Ask any correctional officer you know, as they have the most real-world experience in observing the aftermath of knife fights: A "real" knife fight, as opposed to a "reel" knife fight, is characterized by the knifer closing distance rapidly, crashing in, and thrusting and slashing repeatedly at close range. Your chance of surviving, either standing or on the ground, is going to be based on GETTING CONTROL OF THAT KNIFE ARM and either striking or getting a control hold (Kimura, Americana, Arm bar) what have you. Guess what? You are by definition in a grappling fight. You may get cut, no matter what your strategy, but you can keep going. The knifer will try to close range.

Most people on the street have ZERO ground fighting skills. While standing, they have a rudimentary game plan at best: ("I will strike the other person until they give up or are knocked out. If he tries to strike me, I will either take his punches or try to block them. This plan, though rudimentary, has worked for me since grade school and is in accordance with every action movie/TV show/sporting event I have ever watched.") Take them to the ground and they will try to get on top and hit you, or, if they can't be on top, try to get a headlock and hang on ("HEY! I got his head!! I'm WINNING!!!). Begin to establish position, transition to a superior position, overcome resistance and apply a submission, choke, or pin, and they are clueless. You can almost see their brain freeze up, overwhelmed by the rapid transition of events. (In military parlance, you have overwhelmed their OODA ("Observe-Orient-Decide-Act") cycle).

The ground can be your friend. It limits his movements, allowing joint locking techniques to be far more effective and difficult to escape from than if those joint locks are applied standing, aikido or kung fu-style. If he is on the bottom, it limits his shoulder rotation and hip movement, reducing his ability to effectively strike. If it is not good for one person in a fight to be the one on the ground, then obviously, it is going to be better for the other person. WHY NOT BE THAT OTHER PERSON? "

"The MMA thing is soooooo overrated"

You soooooo don't have a clue.

"please explain, why would he get mauled?"

If I have to explain why, its obvious that you just can't comprehend the weight of it.

"p.s. most streetfights ive seen are guys getting mugged by 5 - 10 people, and they are purely defensive (ie the guy is trying to run away whilst throwing a few well placed punches)"

"Maybe I am the one with friends.

I think the people who believe they have a valid stand-up street defense against multiple attackers saw the fight scene in the park in "Billy Jack" one time too many.

So all you stand-up guys, your solution to group attack is....What? Remaining standing and picking them off one at a time with a flurry of well-placed kicks? Eye jabs, pak sau, and biting?

Here is a base-level truth: Your chances of effectively fighting off a group of determined, coordinated attackers who outnumber you, without a weapon, are slim to none. By "determined and coordinated" I mean a cohesive group with a strong sense of self identity who are used to fighting together. That can mean a biker gang, a squad of Marines out on the town, bouncers who work together, a street gang, a rugby or football team, etc.

How about a group of undetermined and uncoordinated fighters? Your odds open up a bit. Most of you who will say you have beaten multiple attackers probably met the latter group. We'll call them a "cluster group". I have seen several occasions where one guy backed down a larger cluster group by serious threat display. In all cases, the group were friends or acquaintances, some members maybe bigger than the lone guy, some of them probably good fighters, but none of them felt strongly enough about their group to risk taking one in the head for the team so everyone else could stomp the guy. No one in a cluster group wants to be the guy who gets teeth knocked out so everyone else can mob the guy. That video of the bad ass skateboarder smacking down and backing down the frat boys that was posted recently on the forum is a textbook example. Examples of cluster groups include guys who know each other from work or school going out for a drink, fans at a sporting event (Soccer hooligans perhaps being the exception), drink- or drug--impaired party goers, or a group in a lynch-mob mentality who don't know the other members well.

Laying a quick and serious hurting on someone (a broken elbow, strikes from the mount or knee on stomach), the kind that makes onlookers go "Yeeowch!", may back down a lot of guys, again, from the cluster group. A standing control hold or choke can make people back off until you can get to safety or someone breaks it up. A friend avoided a racially-motivated beat-down from some drunken frat party-goers by grabbing one in a standing rear-naked choke and backing up with him until he could sweep his legs and jump into a friend's car and get away. (This after taking down another drunk, getting mount, and getting in 3 or 4 punches before anyone reacted.) A Brazilian acquaintance who spent time in prison told me he regularly used the mata leao choke (hadaka jime) in a melee, grabbing his man and then (and he said this is very important...) getting his back to the wall where he wouldn't be blindsided. he'd break their balance, choke 'em out, then get to safety or grab another.

You may not need to go the ground. Most BJJ guys won't, on the street. But, as Eric Knauss of the Dog Brothers (stick and knife fighters) says, "Grappling happens. It just does." Even if you want to stay standing, and use the often taught (and valid) technique of "lining up your attackers", we live in a world cluttered with rubble. If you don't get taken down or knocked down, you are still likely to trip or fall. You better have a plan to get someone off you, ESPECIALLY if there are multiple attackers.

People who attack you with a weapon typically don't attack Olympic track and field medallists, who are already laced up in their Nikes, at one end of a running track. They will probably try to corner or pin you in so escape is not easy. You may be wearing shoes that are hard to run in. You may be on a slippery wet or icy surface. You may not be a good runner. You may be injured or out of breath. Your attacker may be a better runner than you are. You may be with someone you don't want to leave behind (e.g., your child, wife, or girlfriend) after you yell, "Feets, Do Your Stuff!" and make like a gazelle. In short, you may have to stay and fight. Other than that-try to get out of there as your first option.
"

That document has come in so handy.. when a moron pulls out the typical "what if" I just cut and paste. shuts 'em up everytime.

Skarbromantis
01-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Buddy if you got to cut and paste an article thats pretty weak, as for the moron statement, were you speeking to me?

How about answering the question in YOUR words, as I am courious to know why YOU think ...

put a "praying mantis" guy in the ring and even though he's been training his style for 6 hours a day/ 6 days a week for the last year preparing for the fight. - he's going to get mauled.

just to see if I can "comprehend the weight of it."

Skard1

ShaolinTiger00
01-27-2003, 01:30 PM
I have a cut and paste article, because you are not worth the effort of my typing out a very similar piece of text, lambasting your foolish ideas and proving how ignorant you are about fighting.

and I WAS "speaking" to you.

:rolleyes:

Every time, you morons pull out the same excuses - multiple attackers, a knife, "Real fights aren't pretty like on the mat. In the street, people bite and claw and eye-gouge!"
Meeow! Phffsst! Meeoww!

Oso
01-27-2003, 01:42 PM
ST, what's the source of the article?

once again, I have to agree w/ MP and his basic summary of
multi-man defence. I'd been curious about your thoughts on
mm. and anyone elses.

just to toss is out in my words: mobility, quick strikes, mobility,
short throws, and get the hell out as fast as possible.

Knife disarms can work but like any other chin na require some
sort of softening up to weaken the muscles of the arm.

step 1 is to control the knife arm, step 2 is to stun the person
or break the arm depending on exactly what level of control you
have over the knife arm, step 3 is the actual disarm which might
have happened in step 2.

matt

red5angel
01-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Actually there is a pretty good way to disarm if you have the balls. Ever see the movie young guns, or maybe it was young guns 2? Anyway Chavez gets into that fight and the guy goes to stab him with the knife and he sticks his arm out and the knife gets stuck in his arm. Thats a good trick. It works some of the time too, and you have to figure, your gonna get stuck anyway right? So why not just let him stick you so you can get the knife away from him?

The whole multiple opponent thing gets dull. A one on one fight is alot of luck in the first place. You walk away from a mutliple attacker scenario on top and you are either the luckiest son of a beyotch or your tougher then snot. I've seen a few videos where this guy fights so many people blah blah blah but truth be told, those guys attacking him weren't serious about it. Ask anyone who has to work in a hospital or a prison if one guy can take 10 and they will tell you......
Personally I don't give much thought to it, if I am in that situation, I am going to run like hell or pray they dont kill me and try to do as much damage as I can as I go down.
However, just so you know, I will not scream like a girl.

Skarbromantis
01-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Talk about dodging questions,

Shaolin Tiger, your a Fu(king fool, do I sound like some little troll, you opinion is only an opinion, not all of us fight like Ralek, give it up, you might be the one who needs to be "skooled" on how ignorant you are about fighting, simple question that you couldn’t answer, thanks for the response, chump.

Skard1

Oso
01-27-2003, 02:02 PM
r5a, screaming like a girl is an integral part of mm defense:
it's harder for them to chase you if they are laughing.

:)

but, back to the point, Running is always the first option if it's
there. Always. But, don't you think you should at least think
about strategy/tactics for mm?

I am going to run like hell or pray they dont kill me and try to do as much damage as I can as I go down.

well, sure...this is intention, which is the same as mine.

I like to think about that cartoon of the frog holding the crane
by the throat, from the inside.

now, more jocularity so Skarbromantis and ST don't go for each
others throats

ShaolinTiger00
01-27-2003, 02:17 PM
do I sound like some little troll

-Worse. Trolls are usually baiting you with a tidbit of credibility. You have nothing.

you opinion is only an opinion
-Some opinions are more valid than others.

not all of us fight like Ralek
-I'd wager money that a traditional praying mantis guy would fight worse!

you might be the one who needs to be "skooled" on how ignorant you are about fighting
I've been schooled. Everything I talk about is practical, based on full contact fighting with skilled opponents and based fully on sound principles. You know nothing.

simple question that you couldn’t answer
Stupid question that I didn't want to answer is more accurate.

Since it is so important to you as to "why would mantis-man get mauled?" I'll keep it simple.

He lacks the proper skill set. He knows nothing of groundwork, little to nothing on takedowns or throws, his striking is suspect and that may be his best asset.. in fact his only hope would be to crosstrain with full contact fighters in hopes that he could find something similar in his style.

LMAO can you see a guy dropping into those ridiculous mantis stance and finger pointing downward? I can, right as Silva breaks his leg or Minatauro double legs him and snaps off an armbar.

lkfmdc
01-27-2003, 02:24 PM
You use mantis boxing, he no can defend!!

no, really, it's true, it's true......

:p

I have to go and rub my side now, it hurts from LMFAO

Skarbromantis
01-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Like I said... thanks for the response, chump.

Skard1

lkfmdc
01-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Fortunately, we are "chumps" who have forgotten more about fighting than you will probably ever see....

but have a nice day

LKFMDC

ShaolinTiger00
01-27-2003, 03:10 PM
fellow chump "steve" - for more humor please see " obsession with competition"..

Banjo
01-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
[ his striking is suspect and that may be his best asset.. in fact his only hope would be to crosstrain with full contact fighters in hopes that he could find something similar in his style.
[/B]

There was a fighter trained in mantis and Baji by Su Yu Chang who competed very successfully in Muaythai. Here is a link
http://members.tripod.com/~crane69/index6t.htm

I never actually saw his fights so i cant really say much about what it would say about the striking of mantis.

straight blast
01-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Skarbromantis...

Well said. I too get sick of the same recycled crap from both sides.

ShaolinTiger...
He lacks the proper skill set. He knows nothing of groundwork, little to nothing on takedowns or throws, his striking is suspect and that may be his best asset..
Nothing personal, but you've never seen much mantis have you?

It does show, especially the bit about takedowns, throws and suspect striking. The bit about groundwork I'll give you.

I am no expert on Mantis. I often spar a mantis friend and he probably has a better ability to take down and throw than almost anyone I've ever crossed hands with.

Sick of the generalisations. Sick of the bullsh!t. Sick of this thread.

Parting thought: If all the MMA people (who are so vastly superior to us KF people) disrespect Kung Fu so much and are so easily able to defeat us, why the fu(k are you here? Go hang out with your own kind and swap stories of how undefeatable you are. The guy who started this post wrote one of the stupidest things I've seen here for a long time (and that's saying something) but the stupidest thing you can possibly write is MMA vs fu(king anything.

Feeling too much contempt for the whole issue to even finish posting :mad:

ShaolinTiger00
01-27-2003, 04:51 PM
First of all he's winning muay thai. that's no where close to MMA. hell, Look @ when you allow the clinch and throw and watch how sanshou puts the thumping on muay thai.

Good striking isn't enough in MMA.

and about the Mantis guy..

But the system of fighting that I liked best was the "Pahuyuth" system of ancient Muaythai passed down in the Chiang Mai district of Northern Thailand.

Bouts are carried out bare-handed; elbow strikes, head-butts & throws are all allowed. This is the system that is the closest to Chinese martial arts. Even this ancient Muaythai system has its own world organization world called WMF. It is the oldest & most intense method of Muaythai fighting! Other fights under organizations like WMC & IMA I have also took part before.

He's using San Da ! Of course he wins.;)

ShaolinTiger00
01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
The best showing kung fu has given in the UFC (http://www.sherdog.com/interviews/sinosic2/sinosic_03.jpg)

Banjo
01-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
First of all he's winning muay thai. that's no where close to MMA. hell, Look @ when you allow the clinch and throw and watch how sanshou puts the thumping on muay thai.

Good striking isn't enough in MMA.

I think my post was a little unclear but i was trying to say that mantis may have striking skills that are more than "suspect" not that it would be successful in MMA.

lkfmdc
01-28-2003, 01:58 PM
uh, took a while to find this, it sunk faster than the titanic...

I have never seen any other source of this mantis guy other than crane69 and considering some of the outright BS and lies he has on his site I am suspicious of it

and yes, I know some real mantis people, lots actually

ShaolinTiger00
01-28-2003, 02:23 PM
I love that pic of Delucia getting his arm snapped.

lkfmdc- you have mail.

Banjo - One man does not make an entire style effective.

Banjo
01-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lkfmdc

I have never seen any other source of this mantis guy other than crane69 and considering some of the outright BS and lies he has on his site I am suspicious of it

Here's another link to an article about the same person. Crane69 is a moron and got his name wrong making his existense dificult to verify!(its Matute not Martin)
http://www.pachitanglang.com/mastersu/matute.htm

ST00-Banjo - One man does not make an entire style effective.

Thats true but that arguement can be made about any style that rarely competes.(Although competition improves the effectiveness of martial arts.)

Golden Arms
01-30-2003, 04:39 PM
The more I listen to ShaolinTiger00 the more I am inclined to think its just ralek/rolls/whatever. Just too funny, I think ralek even used to post that same picture! Regardless..the one real truth is that if ANYONE underestimates other people, they are very likely to get a rude awakening. You never know how the "other" guy is going to move until he goes for it, and if it happens to be something that you havent seen before, you are probably going to get hit. San shou is not invinceable, BJJ is not invinceable, Kung Fu is not either, but training hard in pretty much any fighting system will get your some pretty decent results because your mind will grow accustomed to moving, balance, leverage, etc.

I dont know about everyone else, but from my experience, an elbow with some power behind it is not fun to be in the way of, whether it comes from a MMA player, or a Kung Fu one. Besides we all know that the ultimate move is the Ninja Uppercut. Look at Mortal Kombat if you have any arguments.

Merryprankster
01-31-2003, 03:49 AM
ST ain't ralek.

Nichiren
01-31-2003, 05:55 AM
Puuuiiiii....

This thread has been repeated so many times it feels like a parrot. I will as usual give my worthless opinion.

KF has a combat oriented background where e.g. swords etc. are used as primary weapons.

MMA is a "modern art" with a no weapons approach.

You figure it out. Which art is more prepared to win in e.g. Pride???

/Cheers....

Felipe Bido
01-31-2003, 07:56 AM
Are you implying that ST00 has caught the Ralek?

Repulsive Monkey
01-31-2003, 08:02 AM
thats that thing with the gay mardi gras marches isn't it!? Have they veered into fake fighting now with ufc??

ShaolinTiger00
01-31-2003, 08:08 AM
The more I listen to ShaolinTiger00 the more I am inclined to think its just ralek/rolls/whatever. Just too funny, I think ralek even used to post that same picture!

I get no respect. Any half-wit can see that I am not Ralek, whom I've met.

As far as the picture, that's me baby, and guys who know me can attest. Ralek looks nothing like that at all.

dark straight brown hair, very tall, lanky.

San shou is not invinceable, BJJ is not invinceable, Kung Fu is not either, but training hard in pretty much any fighting system will get your some pretty decent results because your mind will grow accustomed to moving, balance, leverage, etc.

We're not claiming invincibility. We're talking about being better.

lkfmdc
01-31-2003, 08:11 AM
Why is it that the traditional guys always get their underwear in a wad when you point out they aren't whirlwinds of death? Quote the bard "me thinks you duth protest too much"

1. ShaolinTiger is NOT ralek. It's a stupid thing to say and insulting. Now move on, nothing more to see on that issue

2. Talk about "underestimating", I can't tell you how many silk PJ clad forms competitors sit in the stands and talk about the deadly techniques they'd use if they fought san shou. Of course, they are sitting in the stands....

3. Training hard is a relative term, raquet ball players train very hard and have good conditioning, but their skills wouldn't be much use in a street fight. Contemporary wushu athletes are tremendous competitors and their leaps are astounding. But how much of that athleticism would apply to combat remains a real issue.

4. Given the choice between a 747 wide body and "Jimmy's magic flying hat", most people would choose to book the ticket on the 747. They have been on the 747 before, it's taken off, it's landed, it's gotten them to their destination.

Jimmy swears his magic hat will make you fly, but no one has ever seen it work.

5. If I stood on a red X and let you drop a safe on me, you'd kill me, no doubt. But how practical is that as a fighting method? Any idiot can stand in front of a bag and hit it hard (Bruce Lee comes to mind!), but in a real fight against a real opponent things sure are different

MightyB
01-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Dudes,

Lighten up a little... Although I love a good flaming forum thread. It's been a while since we've seen one.

Like I said, I do both Mantis and San Shou. I like 'em both. It's not a direct translation of Mantis techniques in the San Shou ring, but it's still primarely Mantis Philosophy. Mantis philosophy isn't much different than a MMAers. At least that's how it is where I learn. You use what works and adapt to survive. Guess what, Upa and Elbow escapes work. The mount works, the BJJ sweeps work, the guard works, and guess what--- I use and practice them. Don't generalize so much, the original poster shouldn't have singled mantis out, but I think it's the MMA philosophy of Mantis that he's referring to. If I was younger when I started, I'd fight in MMA (28 now). I'm a small guy (5'10" 150 Lbs) but I have no fear of what people are going to try to do-- I do what I do and that's based on Mantis. Oh yeah, I can throw to, and I'll put my striking skills against anyone on this forum. I'll probably be fighting in Cleveland at the Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships, you can fight me there. The only reason I say probably is because it usually ends up being a $200 dollar weekend event and I'm not sure if I can swing it, but I'm pretty confident I'll be there.

ShaolinTiger00
01-31-2003, 08:56 AM
You should ditch the mantis. Its taking away time that could be better spent on san shou.
;)

MightyB
01-31-2003, 09:10 AM
Hopefully, when I'm old and have run a successful Mantis School, people will look at my school and won't see a difference between 7* Mantis, San Shou, and MMA. They'll just say that people who are trained at Kurt's school of CMA kick ass no matter where they fight.

Here's to hoping.;)

ShaolinTiger00
01-31-2003, 10:11 AM
If all the MMA people (who are so vastly superior to us KF people) disrespect Kung Fu so much and are so easily able to defeat us, why the fu(k are you here? Go hang out with your own kind and swap stories of how undefeatable you are.

Because we find your ignorance to reality, practicality, sensibility, and logic, facinating

You are a bug in a jar and I'm a guy with a stick prodding you to see how you react.

Wait a minute!! This is how you invented the deadly style of Praying Mantis KungFu!!!

consider me a founding father...

Golden Arms
01-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Rofl..ok I have to say that last one by ST was pretty funny :)

ShaolinTiger00
01-31-2003, 02:29 PM
:D thanks.

Losttrak
01-31-2003, 02:47 PM
ST00 - Did you fight in the 97 World Kung Fu Championships in Orlando? The same event where Cung Le fought Jason yee? You look familiar to me.

ShaolinTiger00
01-31-2003, 02:51 PM
No. I was in attendance to root on my friend Aaron Hunnicutt and my sifu was a referee.

Was not fighting - had root canal surgery they day I flew down. :(

Ford Prefect
01-31-2003, 02:53 PM
You train with Jim <insert name here>? I saw an article about him in Baltimore a while ago.

Losttrak
01-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Cool... my friend and I were the peeps putting the boxes up on the platform... You look very similiar to the guy I fought (saw your profile). Although in hindsight, by comparing you to Mr Liu.. I think you woulda been outta my weight class. Oh well.

ShaolinTiger00
01-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Ford - not me.