David Jamieson
01-25-2003, 09:12 AM
From "The parable of the medicinal herbs- Lotus Sutra"

The Law of the Buddhas
is constantly of a single flavour,
causing the many worlds
to attain full satisfaction everywhere;
by practicing gradually and stage by stage,
all beings can gain the fruits of the way.

cheers

ShaolinTiger00
01-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Very beautiful, but futile and wasteful. Probably the reason why I see Buddhists monks smoke cigarrettes and drink coca cola. Even they realize that humans are inherently flawed and they must accept the reality of life and the emotions, attachments, distractions etc. are all part of living.

The more I read about Buddhism the more I love Taoism.

Stop staring at the lotus blossom, you're missing the entire pond.

David Jamieson
01-25-2003, 10:02 AM
:)

Former castleva
01-25-2003, 11:00 AM
Lotus?
Was it the one to do with Nichirenīs buddhism,which by the way,is the only real style of buddhism...according to him. :)
And enlightment,whatever it is (brain activity change?) can be achieved by repeating lotus sutra (if I remember correctly)

Volcano Admim
01-25-2003, 11:18 AM
SholinTriger sucks

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-25-2003, 12:21 PM
"SholinTriger sucks"

no way ... budhism sucks big beefy balls.

David Jamieson
01-25-2003, 01:02 PM
wow- can you feel the negative vibe in the room today? :)

cheers

Former castleva
01-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Nah. :)
Pu.

David Jamieson
01-26-2003, 07:18 AM
I wasn't expecting such a vilified response to that quote actually.

I have been reading the Lotus sutra of late, and found this quote to be interesting in context to a human being practicing kung fu.

st00-i don't know where you are "seeing" these things, but do you honestly think that is standard behaviour for a buddhist monk? Or is it a neophyte, or better yet, a bum in an orange blanket?

Buddhism is a paramount example giver of human folly. It also speaks quite a lot to the value of life on earth.

The statement above was simply to indicate that "all can gain from practice".

cheers

ShaolinTiger00
01-26-2003, 09:05 AM
"Master, How is it that you can see these things?"

"How is it that you cannot Grasshopper?"

-Master Po to Quai Chang Cain ;)

Standard behavior?- absolutely. To think anything less would insult the buddha in every man.

btw - what is the difference between a "bum in an orange blanket" and a homeless, moneyless, jobless, monk?

First your script says:
to attain full satisfaction everywhere;

then you say:
all can gain from practice".

but in truth, that is not what the script is saying. it is saying "practice until you attain full satisfaction" and therin lies the futility and wasteful amount of energy that will never come. "full satisfaction" is a dragon. it's an ideal that no human can catch.

Ask Shi Yan Ming about human nature. better yet, ask his wife.

David Jamieson
01-26-2003, 09:25 AM
by practicing gradually and stage by stage,
all beings can gain the fruits of the way.

Nothing mysterious about it really.

all can gain from practice.

cheers

Mr Punch
01-27-2003, 02:10 AM
hmmm, blackberries, very nice. Sloes too. With juniper.

Must admit I'm mostly with ST...

but the 'full satisfaction' is an ox, not a dragon, and when you stop chasing it you may just get a chance to ride it.

It's the same as the tao.

One of my students is a buddhist priest. He has a fine wine cellar and smokes and eats steak. Sometimes we drink and talk about scripture, and sometimes we just drink.

:D

dwid
01-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Quote:

" st00-i don't know where you are "seeing" these things, but do you honestly think that is standard behaviour for a buddhist monk? Or is it a neophyte, or better yet, a bum in an orange blanket?"

Not standard behavior for all monks, just the better ones. Renunciation of all vices is pretty overrated IMO, moderation is the key.

;)

guohuen
01-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Curious. I posted a response on how much I liked the parable the other day and returned to find it gone. Perhaps this thread is self dissolving.:confused:

apoweyn
01-27-2003, 10:00 AM
IMO, moderation is the key.

word. after all, isn't the 'middle path' one of the defining tenets of buddhism?

stuart b.

dwid
01-27-2003, 10:11 AM
I've often wondered about that myself.

I read quite a bit of zen poetry, and lots of those guys write wistfully about getting drunk and romancing women.

It seems like it makes nonattachment too easy a goal when you deny yourself exposure to most of the things you could possibly be attached to.

Marshdrifter
01-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by dwid
It seems like it makes nonattachment too easy a goal when you deny yourself exposure to most of the things you could possibly be attached to.
Like everything? :)

I dunno. I think I could be floating in darkness with exposure to
nothing and I still would have problems with attachment.

Nonattachment is just hard.