PDA

View Full Version : Need some Choy Lay Fut help (whee!)

Scott
12-13-2000, 07:37 AM
Hey everyone =) Here's my situation and my desperate plee for help ;) I have to learn this Choy Lay Fut set, Small Plum Blossom, by Chinese New Year, and I suck at Choy Lay Fut (i'm a wing chun guy, I am learning this because it looks impressive.. I Have to present it in front of a crowd, though) so the learning is coming very slow. Could anyone please list the moves for me, so that I can read over it during school to get it down? I don't know the names of any of the moves, so I am having a hard time doing this.. I actually don't know any of the chinese names either =P I know this is asking alot, so if you don't feel up to it, don't feel bad ;)

Many thanks,
Scott

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

premier
12-13-2000, 06:49 PM
Hehhe. You're in trouble ;)

If you're not a clf practisioner why you have to learn the form? you demonstrate clf forms in your wing chun demonstration? =) anyway, learning that form in few months good enough to demonstrate it would be a big effort even to a full time clf practisioner.

Who taught you the form? go ask him for help.

PS. Small plum blossom = Siu mui fa
PPS. I just know the name. not the form.

ppp
12-13-2000, 07:35 PM
Hey, does anyone know what the form looks like? I think our sifus are teaching it this year, and I've never seen it performed (at least so that I would have known it was this particular form that was being performed). Does it bear any resemblence to Mui Fa Darn Do? That's a form I do know.

*The dragon reveals himself only to vanish*

premier
12-13-2000, 07:46 PM
I haven't seen it either. I'll go learn it next year. Then I'll see =)

Moi fa means plum blossom, which means.. well. a lot of circular movements (generalisation). Moi fa dahn do is the broadsword form that uses moi fa principles. That's how I've understood it.

I think the siu moi fa is one of the second level forms in clf. and the "siu", small, doesn't usually mean its a short or easy form. I learned that practising Siu pa kwa form ;)

My sihing told that the siu moi fa does a lot of hand techniques standing on one leg.. I don't know if that's true, but usually he's right.

Shaolin Master
12-14-2000, 12:07 AM
Siu Mui Fa is a basic set everyone knows it if they practice CLF for more than a year.
Standing one leg there is a small section yes but it is not that demanding.
Big intro as well but thats typical CLF hah:)

????
What do you need names for if you've learnt then just practice if you haven't then you shouldn't demonstrate it.

Shi Chan Long

ppp
12-14-2000, 12:20 AM
Heh, I've been studying CLF almost for 3 years now, and I know 14 forms, but Siu Mui Fa is not one of them. :)

Shaolin Master
12-14-2000, 12:34 AM
That is wierd.
In Chen Yong Fa's School it is practised early on and it is considered an essential basic set.
So which 14 do you know? Which division/lineage are you.
Regards
Shi Chan Long

ppp
12-14-2000, 12:47 AM
Chen Family too, from Finland. Sifu's teach only certain forms each year and change the forms that they teach every year, and this is the first year during my training that they teach Siu Mui Fa.

I know mostly basic stuff, like Ng Lun Ma, Ng Lun Chui, bag and wallbag forms, some staff forms and a broadsword form, and then more special stuff from seminars held by guests from various countries (Australia, Poland, Spain, I've attended all these seminars since I started CLF, and that's where most of my forms come from), that's various Ba Gua-forms (Siu Ba Gua, Dah Ting's Ba Gua and Ba Gua Sam) and stuff like that (Tid Jin Cheong), and then some other weapon forms, like Soi Sau Sin (a fan) and Seung Pei Sau (double daggers).

I know that's a lot, and I have hard time remebering them all. I guess I can memorize 10 forms at a time, beyond that it goes a bit confusing. ;)

Shaolin Master
12-14-2000, 12:53 AM
Ah...no wonder .....pretty unsystematic..
In a normal situation it would be much more common.

ppp
12-14-2000, 12:57 AM
Hey, what do you consider common forms in CLF? I mean beyond Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Chui and the bag forms?

Ross
12-14-2000, 03:43 AM
I know this set but I doubt you could learn it without seeing at least a video and more reasonably having tuition from a proper instructor. Descriptions would leave lots of holes....remember the story of a group of blind men describing the elephant?

Cheers, R

CLFNole
12-14-2000, 04:57 PM
Some of Choy Lay Fut's base forms (depending on your lineage) or forms generally taught in the early years of training would be:

Hand Forms:
Sup Gee Kow Dah Kuen
Siu Moi Fa Kuen
Ping Kuen
Ping Chang Kuen

These are the general base forms. There are other animal forms, baqua forms, etc...

Weapon forms also vary from lineage to lineage, however I think most CLF branches have Moi Fa Sup Sam Chueng (spear), Fu May Dan Do (single broadsword) and Sheung Garp Dan Kwun (staff) as well as a variety of others.

Peace.

ppp
12-15-2000, 03:18 AM
Oh cool. I know 14 frigging forms, and Seung Cup Darn Gwun is the only one on the list! ;)

premier
12-15-2000, 09:37 PM
whoa. just came from learning the moi fa dahn do. cool form.

Scott
12-16-2000, 02:10 AM
Lemme clarify a bit..

I do have a qualified instructor, who is a very high level Choy Lay Fut practicioner.

I take Wing Chun from him, not Choy Lay Fut

We are holding a presentation on Chinese New Years to try and attract more members

I want to take part in it

I do not want to do Wing Chun in it (i'd look like a retard.)

I wanted to learn something that didn't require years of flexibility work, but still looked impressive

He offered to teach me this set

I have the video (Tat Mau Wong)
I just wanted the names of the moves so I could read over them in school while I'm bored

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

Jimbo
12-16-2000, 05:00 AM
The Siu Moi Fa form is to CLF what the Bung Bu form is to many N. Praying Mantis systems. It is a mid-length form that is learned in our school in the intermediate level. I like it, there is enough variety in the movements. I'm sure different schools of CLF perform it a little differently, like the Bung Bu form often has variations from one Mantis school to the next (I used to train Mantis for several years).

Once your learn the whole form from the instructor, it's good to break the form into, say, 4 parts. Work each part separately, and vary your practice speed. Figure out which movements flow together and where the pauses are. Once you feel you have all 4 sections down pat, get used to doing the whole set.

This method is a better way to improve than just doing the whole set every time you practice.
Jim

ppp
12-16-2000, 08:23 AM
I feel the same way about Siu Ba Qua (though I'd say it's 5 parts). Many other forms too, but especially Siu Ba Qua.

kookyguy
12-17-2000, 12:08 AM
If so just ask Shane to show you the form :)

CLFNole
12-17-2000, 05:39 PM
The Plum Flower Fist Form from the Tat Mau Wong video is from the Lee Koon Hung lineage. What do you want to know about this form?

WuXia
12-19-2000, 09:43 AM
This is one of the first forms taught in CLF. In my Lineage (CLFNole would also know- Master Lee Koon Hung), we learn this form after about 3 months of training. When Master Lee Koon Hung first taught the style to my sifu and his senior, he taught them a very basic fist form first. This is called the Fundamental fist, or Che Keun. We learn this form in the first 3 months (along with the basic staff form - shaolin staff). As CLFNole said, there after we learn Ping Keun, Sup Ji Kao Da, Teut Jin, and Ping Jang (along with various weapons). I know that sometimes the order of the curriculum could be different, but I think generally that the schools from the same line teach more or less in the same order.

I would like to know what 14 forms you know.

PS_ they need to put an english spell chekker on this forum. My english spelling is not to good.

ppp
12-19-2000, 10:49 PM
I though I already explained, but here's the forms again:

Ng Lung Ma
Ng Lung Chui
Wallbag Sao Bao Jong
Sandbag Sao Bao Jong
Seung Cup Darn Gwun
Yor Yac Chit Da Gwun
Two man staff (I think this might be called Sup Ba Yin Yang Gwun, but I am not sure)
Moi Fa Darn Do
Soi Sau Sin
Seung Pei Sau
Tid Jin Cheong
Ba Gua Sam
Dah Ting Ba Gua
Siu Ba Gua

I also know the qi gong form Sup Ba Lohan Sau.