PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Size VS Muscle Density

TheHype112
01-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Hey all I'm looking for some advice on how to rebuild my training.

For two years I'd been listening to those idiots at the gym tell me how bigger was better, and what exercises to do to get to lifting over 300lbs, and in the end got nothing from it. My frame is simply not capable of generating that much muscle mass, but of course not one person thought to tell me that, their answer was always "Just put another 25 pounds on there and have a protein bar."

So now, to revamp what I do (now that I've been out of lifting a year and am all skinny again) I'm looking to do exercises that make my muscles dense without increasing their size too much, any exercises or diet pointers that you all can give me?

~Eric

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-26-2003, 04:32 PM
get yourself a copy of power to the people, search through the countless threads about lifting on this board, and listen to ironfist, ford perfect, and el pietro. im sure there are a few others on the board with rivaling knowlege, but these guys have the happiest typing fingers.

IronFist
01-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Welcome to KFO.

So you want to get strong without getting big and having to eat a lot (to get big).

Do as GDA says and buy Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline. Search for my post where I lay out the routine, but buy the book anyway because you'll learn a lot from it. Some of the stuff will completely contradict what the "big guys" told you in the gym. It's cool.

As far as diet, just eat enough. Try to get about 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. So if you weigh 150 eat 150g of protein per day. Some people say more, some say less, but I think 1g per lb is a good guideline.

If you have more questions as here.

IronFist