PDA

View Full Version : specific cario help

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-26-2003, 12:11 AM
my sister quit smoking a couple years back and put on about 40lbs. she's tried walking to lose it, but slacked off when it started getting cold and has since discovered that her hip keeps popping out of place and she has to see a chiropractor because of it once a month (the hip problem is somehow realted to her spine).

what types of cardio could she do that wouldnt be too stressful on the hip. i kept mentioning walking up steep hills before the hip problem, but i dont think she could handle enough of it right now for it to do any good.

the only thing i can think of is that tony pony tail ski type thing machine. people on here have dissed this piece of equipment before, but do you think it would be good for someone currently pretty out of shape? money isn't really a problem for her right now so she wouldnt mind dishing out the cash if i told her it would work. the main reason i think of this machine is that the movement seems like it would be little to no impact which would be good for her hip. if you have no idea what im talking about ill try to find out the name of it.

if not this machine what other cardio things would be good?

SevenStar
01-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Can she swim?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-26-2003, 03:04 AM
well yes and no. i admit i hadn't thought of that, but im not sure how viable of an option it would be. the main thing is that she runs a daycare out of her house and is stuck inside quite a bit. walking was easy as it was something we were able to do late at night after all the kids were picked up. she does have a pool, but im not sure you could really do laps in it. its 4 feet deep and id say about 15 or maybe 20 feet accross. it's mainly for the kids and wont be uncovered until late spring. also getting her to even buy a swimsuit would be difficult. she used to weigh about 95lbs and is extremely self concious about her weight.

i'm not trying to shoot down suggestions .... swimming is an excelent one .... but it's hard to convey with words exactly how stubborn my sister is. she is also very desperate so i will bring it up when i talk to her tomorrow.

i also want to say that while her situation and attitude makes this difficult i don't believe she's a lost cause. she walked religiously every single night until her friend stopped due to the weather (reasonably so ... its been fu cking cold) and i was too sick to go anymore for about 6 months. being that she could only do it late at night she really didnt like walking alone (nor did i want her to). i ask for advice now because she told me tonight that she "better start smoking again." i know that she can be dedicated so i think if i figure out an activity that would suit her circumstances she could finally drop the weight.

i was also thinking about a body weight routine, but i doubt shed ever get started because she whole hartedly believes she's not capable of doing the exercises. if she ever did try it i think she'd get extremely frustrated while learning how to pace herself. if it's extremely difficult for her to get the hang of im afraid shed drop it before getting anywhere. shes got a pretty deep rooted problem with her confidence that effects things like that.

im trying to think of somethig easy to learn, simple to do, with little to no impact. swiming would be fu cking perfect if a pool were more easily accessible at the right times.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-26-2003, 03:07 AM
even though im not sure she'll do it, i can't believe i didnt think of swimming. i was staring at their pool tonight while trying to think of differant things for her to do. im a fu cking moron.

StarBoy
01-26-2003, 06:55 AM
my suggestion: gator wrasslin. :p

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-26-2003, 01:41 PM
haha ... i had that comin huh.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-27-2003, 12:30 AM
come on guys ... any other ideas .... i guess im looking for a gay ass piece of equpipment that would only help an overweight person burn some calories. but something more efficient than a stationary bike. she wouldnt care that she'd outgrow the machine as she lost the weight ... it would be worth the investment just to shed the pounds.

again swimming is an awesome idea but i guess im looking more for something she can easily run to for a half hour to an hour at the end of the night.

SevenStar
01-27-2003, 12:54 AM
what about something low impact, like yoga or pilates?

Cheese Dog
01-27-2003, 01:12 AM
Actually, I think a stationary bike might work really good for her. Especially if it has some sort of handle upper-body exerciser too. If she doesn't like that, rowing machines are good. Most people find them too boring though. She could find some video tapes of low impact aerobics, that shouldn't hurt her hip.

Personally, I like the gator wrasslin' :D

FatherDog
01-27-2003, 09:26 AM
I dunno what your financial situation is right now, but if you can buy a stationary bike or rowing machine, she could set it up in front of the TV. If she just uses it whenever she watches her favorite shows, depending on her tv habits that might be more than enough cardio to result in some weight loss. And the fact that she's watching TV, and thus not bored, while she does it would make her more likely to stick to it.

If you don't have a big budget, try cruising yard sales for a while. You can often get exercise equipment for really cheap at yardsales, because people buy it, realise they're lazy *******s and will never use it, and sell it to get it out of the way :D My mother picked up a decent rowing machine for $10 last year...

StarBoy
01-27-2003, 05:00 PM
seriously? what about an eliptical machine? It's virtually no impact, similar to walking (without having to put so much strain on her knees), and she can get a decent one for under $600.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-30-2003, 01:40 AM
starboy .... that's exactly the type of machine i was trying to describe.

i been talking to her and swimming is out for the exact reasons i said . she definatley wants a machine of some sort so ill probably start a new thread about what's the best home cardio machine. (her financial situation is actually pretty sweet for the first time in her life).

fa_jing
01-30-2003, 08:50 AM
I'd go with the Tony Pony machine. It's actually good for people who aren't in great shape.