PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Every Day

ricksitterly
01-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Just out of curiousity, what would happen to your body if you did actually lift weights EVERY day. And I do mean the same types of lifts. For example: Doing bench press and squats - every single day.

Are there people who lift weights every day? Does anyone have any success stories? Not that I even lift much at all, but I was thinking today and was wondering if somehow your body could adapt to daily stress... of would you slowly degenerate into this lean, ghandi looking dude.

(update post) ALSO, what about lifting very heavy, same type lifts, two days in a row andthen taking several days off.

I was also curious as to whether you could do MA training every day (as i do), involving high rep kicking and punching, yet still be able to work in a heavy lifting program (say 3 times a week). Given the strenuous MA training schedule, is there still room for a mass building program?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-26-2003, 09:50 PM
your teeth would rot out from the extreme stress placed on the gums. better to grapple everyday as the results are far superior anyway.

ricksitterly
01-26-2003, 10:27 PM
thats right, your teeth need at least 24 hours to recover from weights... what was I thinking

IronFist
01-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ricksitterly
Just out of curiousity, what would happen to your body if you did actually lift weights EVERY day. And I do mean the same types of lifts. For example: Doing bench press and squats - every single day.

Are there people who lift weights every day? Does anyone have any success stories? Not that I even lift much at all, but I was thinking today and was wondering if somehow your body could adapt to daily stress... of would you slowly degenerate into this lean, ghandi looking dude.

If this is a serious question...

Weightlifting routines that call for performing the same lift every day are generally low volume. For example, you might do 3 sets of 3, or two sets of 5, with a lot of rest between each set. You are not going to be able to perform bodybuilding type routines for the same bodypart every day, because the volume would be too high.

This type of routine is designed for building strength but not size. Over time, the muscles are able to contract "harder" and therefore move more weight.

So to answer your question, you wouldn't overtrain if you lift weights every day provided you keep the volume low. If you try to do too much, then you will overtrain.

IronFist

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-27-2003, 12:34 AM
what's sad is that i actually could of answered that if i thought it was a serious question.

you forced me to learn something. bast ards.

SevenStar
01-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Iron beat me to it. As for the second part of your question, I lift like that.

IronFist
01-27-2003, 11:29 AM
I've trained that way before, too. It works very well, but only builds strength, not endurance.

IronFist

ricksitterly
01-27-2003, 01:06 PM
what about punching/ kicking heavy bag every single day. can your body adapt to it to a point where you may add in some heavy weight training excercizes ( like say three times a week) in addition to your daily MA practice, would you build volume, or would you be taxing the muscles too much....would gains come slower or faster than in regular body building.

What about lifting two days in a row, very heavy, same type of lifts, and then taking several days off.

just some thoughts.... anyone care to comment ?

Ford Prefect
01-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Depends on your approach, diet, amount of rest, daily schedule, etc. Really too many factors to give a general answer.

WinterPalm
01-27-2003, 05:44 PM
People doing heavy labor work every day. Maybe that can be considered, I've heard that farmers and laborers are among some of the strongest people out there. Usually they dominate the strongman competitions.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-27-2003, 06:58 PM
I lift weights everyday, as well as train everyday. I do three hours training in the morning, as soon as i wake up, then i have a nice big breakfast full of protein and carbs. Then 1 hour after that i hit the weights for an hour, after which i eat another big meal. Afterwards i go for a run, and come back and train for another 2 - 3 hours. This is 7 days per week, and i get nothing but benefits from it.

Edit - Sorry, i didn't read your question properly. I do a different muscle group everyday on weights.

ricksitterly
01-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Good point winterpalm... I guess that also explains the good muscular builds you tend to see with carpenters and masons. However I did work at a factory once, loading trucks, for about four months... but I actually slimmed down a bit while working there. Go figure. Damð this body!!!

IronFist
01-27-2003, 07:19 PM
I poop every day. Sometimes twice a day when I eat a lot.

IronFist

IronFist
01-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by ricksitterly
Damð this body!!!

Damth?

IronFist

Samurai Jack
01-27-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm looking to change up my routine and have tried all kinds of things. I was just thinking the other day of something like this:

Mon - Squats "twenty rep" program Ironfist posted (for a good GH pump)

Tues - Bench Press five sets of five

Wed - Lat pulldowns 5 of 5, I do them one armed so I can exceed my
bodyweight

Thurs - Calf Raises 3 sets of 10

Fri - Bicep dumbell curls / Tricep dumbell extensions 5 of 5 (Superset)

Sat - Rest from weights

Sun - Rest from all exercises

Mon/Tues/Wed/Sat I train Aikido. What do you guys think, good plan or recipe for overtraining hernia death? It'd make a good headline...

Man Rips Own Body In Half In Freak Gym Accident

:eek:

ricksitterly
01-27-2003, 11:06 PM
samarai jack -You should take korean ginseng so you can get a big boner

IronFist
01-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Samurai Jack, on the 20 rep squat program you're supposed to squat 3 times per week. Or at least 2. I think.

IronFist

fa_jing
01-28-2003, 10:34 AM
You brought up a good point. Some of my best gains in weight lifting, were when I performed the same exercise (bench or squat) for 2 days in a row. Then I would take at least two days of rest. In fact I would definitely recommend it for breaking past a plateau.

Samurai Jack
01-28-2003, 11:01 AM
fa_jing : I've been lifting pretty heavy and often end up overtraining. I figured I'd start incorperating more rest days between muscle groups since my goals are purely strength and size.

Ironfist: I've done several searches for the twenty rep squat program, but no dice. Can you direct me to the right place? I based my concept of the twenty rep program on your thread asking for success stories.

ricksitterly: How has that ginsing thing worked for you? Care to post YOUR
success story? :rolleyes:

rubthebuddha
01-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
You brought up a good point. Some of my best gains in weight lifting, were when I performed the same exercise (bench or squat) for 2 days in a row. Then I would take at least two days of rest. In fact I would definitely recommend it for breaking past a plateau.
what types of gains were these -- weight or reps?

me curious :)

ricksitterly
01-28-2003, 02:39 PM
samurai jack- i DID post my success story. (it's not really a success story) it's in the reg. kung fu forum under a thread titled "kF training and ginseng" or something.

fa_jin - Thanks for the feedback. When ( and if ) I start lifting again I think I'm going to lift like that ( same excercize two days in a row, then rest for a couple days). I'm leaving for active duty in the Air Force in a couple months so I dont think I'll have much else to do... just BS, work, and workout so I'll probably get back into lifting. I've been grappling, tkd sparring, and hitting the bag a lot and eating like a horse. I've gotten pretty lean considering I haven't lifted in like 7 months. I'm up to 170 lbs and my normal weight is like 155. I'm 5'10''. Actually.... maybe I'm "filling out" as they say, as I get closer to my 21st birthday. What do u guys think? Is it common to still be growing when you're 20?

Cheese Dog
01-29-2003, 12:42 AM
My father didn't reach his full height (5'10") untill he was about 25. I've heard similiar stories from a few other people.

ricksitterly
01-29-2003, 09:49 AM
When do boners reach their "full height" ?

Cheese Dog
01-30-2003, 12:12 AM
Rick, boners reach their full height when the right female gives you "the look"! :D:D:p

fa_jing
01-30-2003, 08:55 AM
RTB - at the time, I was keeping the reps pretty constant (8-10) and moving up in weight. What I remember is that after the second day, I'd be REALLY sore. I think it was also helpful that I was 20 at the time - faster recovery than now, I'm 28.

morbicid
01-30-2003, 07:08 PM
did someone say.... boner?

Serpent
01-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by morbicid
did someone say.... boner?

Is that a name you respond to usually?