PDA

View Full Version : Where are you guys at in your training?

cha kuen
01-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Where are you guys at in your training? Learning a 2 man set? Sparring? Basics? Weapons?

I thought it would be interesting to hear about our progress! I'm working on 3rd set in wing chun. Slow progress but I'm getting there. :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-27-2003, 12:20 AM
i currently beat my bi tch with the dog's leash until im out of breath and nausiated.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-27-2003, 12:21 AM
sometimes i last a full five minutes.

Mr Punch
01-27-2003, 12:38 AM
I'm still working on the first three sets of wing chun, and busy forgetting the sixth section of the dummy again.

I left my last kwoon cos there wasn't enough hard training or training with other people... too much standing around doing the things I do every day in my room. So I've been training with a lot of people from different styles and from different lineages in WC and doing a lot of light sparring which sometimes goes a bit hard...:D

And a helluva lot of chi sao!

Every day I do 10 single punches, 10 doubles, etc, up to 100 straight, then back down with varying target levels of palms, with 500g weights on my arms.

I usually do sets 1-5 extra relaxed and slow, and sets 5-10 relaxed and fast. Then I do them all again without the weights.

I then do lots of shadow WC boxing, with emphasis on getting the footwork as fast as I can, changing the weight and trying to keep a good connection between the whole of my body to maximise the speed, power and relaxation of my punches. I'm not too concerned with my positioning at this point and often have fun mixing up a few boxing combos off the centreline then switching back to the centreline with a chum jarn, jum sao or something. I usually do this until I can't do any more, or until it's time for work (I'm usually late! :D ).

I also do a few push ups, usually ten slow along the centreline to work the triceps, then ten fast, then ten slow wide ones to works the chest, then ten fast. I also do bridges, hindu push-ups, hindu squats, sit-ups, and back raises.

Every third day or so (whenever I have the time anyway) I throw in more sit-ups and oblique sit-ups, or more explosive push-ups.

On every third day or so, I mix in a gruelling leg workout, with as many WC kicks as I can, and multiple knee combos, plus more hindu squats, and horse stance, plus slt on one leg or with a bottle of water between my knees. I then do the kicks from chum kiu and the huen bo from biu jee with 1kg weights on my ankles. I do these until I can't really lift my legs, to varying heights.

Everyday, to finish my workout, I do six-hand chikung, and some horse, followed by whatever the days most relxing stress-free chikung was, folowed by a really really relaxed (read = knackered! :D ) slt, chum kiu, biu jee, and the first five of the mook in the air. Once a week I get to practise lots of aiki footwork and air techniques and/or kendo basics.

BIG PROBLEMS: as ever, equipment and time. Really really need to get to a heavy bag for speed, endurance and power combos, to a wallbag for relaxed chainpunching and inch punching, and a dummy for wailing and gnashing of teeth!!!

Also need more time and training partners with more time to do our version of one-step sparring!

Mr Punch
01-27-2003, 12:39 AM
And THEN I beat GDA's bi tch for him when he's collapsed!

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-27-2003, 01:19 AM
the both of us really appreciate it man.

Mr Punch
01-27-2003, 01:38 AM
No worries man, but one question... should I take the dog out of it first?

JusticeZero
01-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Trying to correct some deficiencies in my practical skill and figuring how to teach. Oh, and trying to learn more songs, as I don't know as many as I need to advance.

Chang Style Novice
01-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Still healing. I can walk just fine now but can't run. Today I tried a deep tiger stance for the first time since I hurt myself and started gasping with pain about halfway down. Better give it a few more weeks before doing anything serious.

joedoe
01-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Learning how to throw chi-blasts. Killed the neighbour's cat the other day accidentally with one. :D

dezhen2001
01-27-2003, 06:27 PM
joe man... u really have to sort that gas problem ;)

dawood

Serpent
01-27-2003, 07:00 PM
I spend a lot of my practice time working on dodge techniques to avoid the great flying gobs of ****e that come flying from KFO.

Then I flirt a little with eulerfan (how you doin'?) and mock HuangKaiVun. He's the guy with the little man complex that learned all his stuff from books, including Ashida Kim's works.

Maybe I should start beating GDA's ***** some to round out my training a bit.

IronFist
01-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Since I finally found people to train with, I'm working on the following:

1. Learning how to not suck at grappling

2. Trying to resist the urge to out-muscle people on the ground.

3. Learning how to not suck at Western Boxing

4. Getting my body adapted to recovering from sparring and fighting instead of just recovering from weight lifting.

Wish me luck!

IronFist

SaMantis
01-27-2003, 09:06 PM
You know how you think you're doing pretty good at kung fu, until you move up to a new level and get your ass handed to you and realize you've got much ****her to go than you thought?

That's where I'm at now. Moving from just taking basic classes (because of my schedule) to the intermediate-level classes that I should have started a year ago.

Ouch, I'm hurtin'. :(

SevenStar
01-27-2003, 10:56 PM
grappling, grappling, grappling, standing and ground. That mixed with drills/forms and weight training is pretty much my life.

yenhoi
01-27-2003, 11:07 PM
12 thai rounds today.

Lots of sparring.