PDA

View Full Version : Advanced breathing techniques in Hung Gar?

Pablo
10-01-2000, 03:59 AM
First question: I would like to know if there are some advanced breathing techniques in Hung Gar. As far as I know, there is the basic one ( I don't know the Chinese name for it ). Are there some other exercises to develop the chi flow?

Second question: Did any of you heard about " The Red Brothers " ? I heard that they are great Hung Gar Masters, teaching in North America.

Third question: Is there an equivalent of University, but in Kung Fu? A really good, intensive, and of high level school in China? Because of what I heard, there are some, but it is very expensive, and the teaching not complete.

Thanks everyone!
By the way, I am new here.

Paul Skrypichayko
10-01-2000, 04:19 AM
Hello, and welcome to the board.

There are dozens of exercises for qigong (breathing/energy work/qi flow).

I have heard about two brothers in teaching in Canada named Hung. I don't know how they write their name, so they could be "red" or a few other names.

There are many different types of schools out there, some claiming to be the best, but there are no real official schools/universities for kung fu. Not even in China.

Can you tell us more about you? Like where you are from, who your sifu is, et

illusionfist
10-01-2000, 04:32 AM
I would say that all the breathing techniques in hung gar are "advanced." In that i mean there is always something happening on an energy level when you use the different breathing methods (tones/sounds). All the forms work on chi flow, so yes there are tons of exercises for chi cultivation.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kung Lek
10-01-2000, 03:22 PM
Hi, the Tid Sen Kuen contains a lot of learning concerning the breath in tandem with the movement of the body.

This is a really great power development set in the Hung ar regimen.
You may find some answers if you get the opportunity to observe a practitioner doing this Kuen.

peace

Kung Lek

Pablo
10-02-2000, 04:49 AM
My name is Pablo, and I live in Canada. I'm 19 years old. It's been two years since I started my study of the Hung Gar system, and I really enjoy it: even more than that, but I just can't find the words. Before Kung Fu, I trained three years in Tae Kwon Do with a Korean Master, and one year in Judo with a Japanese Sensei. But I was searching for the art that was the best for me; and finally I found it. There is so much to learn in Kung Fu; it is like an endless journey through the art of the peacefull warrior. I am really interested in breathing techniques and chi, and my Sifus are putting an accent on chi. Is it a matter of more advanced training? Are there some REALLY GOOD books on that?

By the way, can you people tell me where are you from, and what are you studying in martial arts? And also, what made you start studying martial arts?

Paul Skrypichayko
10-13-2000, 04:23 AM
Hello Pablo, my name's also Paul, and I also live in Canada. Edmonton to be exact, what part are you in?

I practice hung gar, tai chi, and hapkido, but there are many other great styles out there. There were a few reasons why I started. I needed to get back into shape, needed something to do, and I figured that kung fu was pretty cool and it would protect me if anyone messed with me. Over time, most people's reasons change though. For books, I'd recommend anything by Yang Jwing Ming. Wong Kiew Kit also has some good material out there

Shaolin Master
01-24-2001, 07:27 AM
There is a few schools in china that integrate Academic studies with martial studies. Universities and High School Colleges, complete or not well depends on the school.

Hung Gar Tit Sin Kuen - Breathing a sound per Zang organ, a breath pattern per fu conterpart organ and a streamlining for Qi development throughout. Different sounds massage (so called) the organs.

WongFeHung
01-28-2001, 09:50 PM
Yang Jwing-Ming's book of Fukien White Crane has many hei gung excercises that are also found in Gung Gi Fook Fu Kuen and Tiet Sien Kuen. Interesting reading