PDA

View Full Version : Lung Capacity

red5angel
01-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Ok, see if this makes sense to any of you. I have this issue where my lungs are good, but don't have a large capacity.
What I mean is when I run and I have been running since 6th grade, I take short shallow breaths, but what I want to do is increase my lung capacity.
Is this possible? Have any suggestions?

MightyB
01-27-2003, 09:31 AM
I've heard of runners using devices that make it harder to breath when they work out. You could probably simulate that by wearing a bandana around your mouth and nose like in the old western tv shows.

I've heard that you can get a dumbell and lie on a bench crossways so that only your back immediately below your shoulder blades is supported by the bench with your feet wide for a good base. You keep your arms somewhat bent with both hands holding the dumbell and you start with it above your chest and slowly allow it to pass in an arc over you head letting it go as close to the ground as possible so that you really feel your ribcage and lats stretch out. Then you raise it and repeat. 10 reps 3 sets.

red5angel
01-27-2003, 09:35 AM
MightyB, I know what excersise you are talking about. I did some research on it just recently actually because we used to do it all tghe time when I ran in high school. that particular excersise doesn't really do anything for your lungs, it just expands and strengthens your rib cage.

I was thinking that maybe if I just spent some time each day breething deeply, bringing in as much air as I can, holding it for a few counts dn then breathing out, with control.....problem is, with as much running as I have done, I don't know too much about how the lungs work as far as what is the best way to expand actual capacity.

MightyB
01-27-2003, 09:40 AM
I think the labored breathing thing might work for you-- the bandana thing. It doesn't so much increase capacity as it does increase efficiency. Also, you may try running at a moderate pace while holding your breath. Mark your distance and try to increase it through practice. It's a skin diver trick that's again used to increase efficiency.

red5angel
01-27-2003, 10:29 AM
MightyB, as far as efficiency goes, my lungs are efficient I just do no thave the capacity I want. There is a difference. For instance, When I run I breathe shallowly, a bad habit I formed when I was young, but I have no problem breathing. However, if I hol dmy breath, I can't hold it for near as long as you think I would be able to with all the running and cardio I do. does that make sense? I think the holding the breath and running suggestion is a good idea though, just what I was looking for.

guohuen - that's the impression I was under! Thanks.

Souljah
01-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Red have you ever done free diving before. Or just practicing holding your breath for progressively longer periods of time under water. This may help in learning to take as much air as possible in and being able to use the oxygen most efficiently. (but under instruction would be better I guess)

IronFist
01-27-2003, 11:04 AM
The people on DragonDoor.com talk about some breathing devise that's supposed to do something like that. I forgot what it's called and what it does, but you might want to check it out.

I think it starts with "Fro" something. Sorry. I can't remember that much about it.

IronFist

IronFist
01-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Frolov Breathing Device. That's what it's called.

IronFist

red5angel
01-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Souljah, not sure what freediving is but I spend a lot of time in the water too, thats where I have started to notice it really. While I can run several miles with no issues, swimming across the pool really kicks me in the pants.

IronFist
01-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Here is the link to the Frolov website. (http://www.frolov.com) I suggest clicking the "English" tab in the upper left corner, unless you speak Russian.

IronFist