PDA

View Full Version : Arginine

Rolling Elbow
01-27-2003, 12:25 PM
People,

have any of you looked into arginine as a supplement? Supposedly it pumps not only blood to your nether regions (johnson) but it is supposedly taken by athletes as it promotes lean body mass, fights cholesterol while doing a whole wack of things..wondered if anyone ahs tried it. I have not heard too many bad things yet.. i know that bodybuilders have been known to take 8 times the recommended dosage daily but if you stick to the basic dose there should be no problems.. Let me know if you guys have come across this.

lowsweep
01-27-2003, 06:23 PM
I heard it released free radicals as it was broken down by the body. These can cause cancer. Look at

http://www.realtime.net/anr/aminoacd.html

http://www.health-n-energy.com/arginine.htm

several companies recently began to add it to certain protein shakes, though. Apparently it stimulates Growth Hormone release and some other nice things.

Kempo Guy
01-27-2003, 06:45 PM
I have heard the same...

I don't know if you have looked into these, but I'd suggest looking into ZMA and Glutamine...

KG

IronFist
01-27-2003, 07:22 PM
The N-Large shakes I use now have 1.2g of L-Arginine per serving.

What is the RDA? I don't want cancer.

Is Arginine the same as L-Arginine?

IronFist

PLCrane
01-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Yes, the arginine in food is the same as L-arginine in supplements. I'm not sure what the requirement is, but a pound of meat has about 5 grams of arginine.

I sometimes take a gram before sleep or before a workout, in hopes that it'll increase growth hormone. And yes, it does make Mr. Happy a little happier.

Rolling Elbow
01-27-2003, 09:49 PM
I don't know about the cancer side of things.. i suppose after prolonged imsuse it is possible. I know that the liver is impacted if arginine is misused.. i don't think you have to worry about the amount you are taking iron fist, its like taking 2 500mg capsules a day.. no biggy. Body builders have been known to take 12-15 g a day!!!!!!