PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Long Pole!

MustafaUcozler
01-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Hi guys!

After a LONG search I have finally found a place that can get me the really, heavy and thick poles that I have been looking for years for.

The pole is 10 feet long (yeah i know, pretty long), 2 inches!! thick at the thick end and 1.5 inches thick at the thin end. The weight should be over 10lbs, probably around 12lbs (usual pole you find in Martial arts stores is about 5lbs). So this looks like one hell of a pole!

The only problem is that they will only send a minimum of 20 poles at a time, airfreight to New York City. Since I don't need 20 and would like to buy only 2 poles I need at least another 18 interested parties that also want such a pole.

You would have to be in the New York City area or willing to drive here to pick the pole up, as I will not ship (maximum UPS shipping length is 9ft).

The price would turn out to be $116 per pole. Prepayment is required before I order the poles. Certainly, you would get your money back if we do not reach the 20 pole barrier.

Let me know if you are interested by emailing me under this address:

yongchunman@yahoo.com

Take care,
Mustafa

Subitai
01-29-2003, 10:27 AM
You can also get your own here in the states...with a little work

Same size as what your saying.

1) A boat yard or sailing outfitter. Get a small mast or other connecting piece to the main mast.

2) Make one from an OAK or other hard wood stairway banister.

**The fat end remains the same, just use a plainer on the last 1/3 of the pole to produce the rat tail end you are looking for.

I'm glad at least there are some people left who like to train with big heavy long poles.

peace,
"O"

CLFNole
01-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Wing Lam sells 8' to 9' poles that are nice and heavy. They are not shown on the website you need to ask them. They sell for about $60 plus shipping if I remember correctly but you need to buy about 4 at one time. I got some people together and we bought them. They are real good for practicing.

Peace.

MustafaUcozler
01-29-2003, 03:38 PM
@Subitai
Oak and the usual "hardwood" types are not heavy and hard enough and break easily, especially during heavy two man practice. You need a pole made of of one of the varieties of "Ironwood" such as "Lignum Vitae" "Desert Ironwood" or "Black Ironwood" etc. Basically, the wood has to be so heavy and dense that it does not float in water but rather sinks.

Be careful though, since some "Ironwood" species are not really that hard and heavy....

Are you practicing the "5 Sons 8 Trigram Pole Form" of Hung Gar?

@CLFNole
Those 8-9ft poles are usually not made of the right kind of "Ironwood" and are about 5lbs (I have one). It feels heavy in the beginning still, but feels almost like a toothpick after a while. You really need the pole to be at least 8lbs in the long run for the "power" training to make sense.....

Take care,
Mustafa