PDA

View Full Version : Weak Forearms!!!

red5angel
01-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Ok, last night we did copious amounts of mitt and bag drills. This morning I can barely hold on to anything. The top of my forearms are really weak at the moment.
Anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be happening and ways to correct it?

Crimson Phoenix
01-29-2003, 09:26 AM
it might be happening because you're a wuss. To correct it, just become a real man...

dayamn, seriously you asked for it, after this "ahhhhh myyyy ssshhhiiinnnnnssss arrreeee sseeennnssssiiitttiiiiivvvveeee" thread...

LOL just messin' with ya' :D

It might just be that the muscle is stunned due to overexertion...it happens sometimes...bag drill surely made you very very tense without noticing, hence the feeling today...

it will go away quite soon...just massage your forearm, using arnica oil, or other soft muscular decontractant...

red5angel
01-29-2003, 09:33 AM
LOL! Don't make me challenge your mother to an all out don't stop till you drop fight to the finish!!!

I figured as much, in the past it hasn't been a problem but for some reason last night I was apparently harder on my forearms then usual!

Souljah
01-29-2003, 09:45 AM
was it more than usual you did last night?

also, have you been continually training? maybe Its because you havent given your muscles any time to 'recoup'.

MightyB
01-29-2003, 09:50 AM
This morning I can barely hold on to anything.

There goes your love life.

red5angel
01-29-2003, 09:51 AM
MightyB - Only when she is greased up....

Souljah - Not continuously, but we don't always do hand drills like we dd last night. We pretty much focused on punching/boxing, and I stayed later to work with some guys on the bags.

ricksitterly
01-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Has this affected your ability to get a boner ?

Oso
01-29-2003, 10:05 AM
r5a, I was going to comment on the weak shins/weak forearm
thing as well but CP beat me to it.

Just wait till your mid 30's.

Right now my back hurts, I have a bone bruise on the bottom
of my left foot, my shoulders want to pop out of the socket
at the slightest provocation, and the bursa of my right hip
is swollen.

eulerfan
01-29-2003, 10:11 AM
If you lift free weights, give the weight a little twist at the end of a lift. Don't just go straight up and down. Move your wrist as well.

That'll work your forearms.

Losttrak
01-29-2003, 10:21 AM
forearm muscles are what keep your hands in line with your forearms... and maintaining the alignment of them last night was obviously challenging. Usually these sort of stuff is a one-time deal... but if its constantly aching then definitely do some wrist rolls with freeweights. The best thing I have EVER used was a dowel rod with a hole drilled in it. They inserted a rope with a weight attached to the end. If you hold it entended in front of you and roll up and down... your arms will become rock solid. great stuff....

yenhoi
01-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Sounds like wuss to me.

I prescribe more focus mitt and bag drills.

:eek:

red5angel
01-29-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the advice people!

Yenhoi - I plan on going back tonight for 2 hours so we will see if a repeat of last night will help the situation. For now I stretch about every half hour or so.
I think it may have been the holding the focus mitts last night that did me in.

yenhoi
01-29-2003, 10:53 AM
I dunno, if it really does hurt that bad, then maybe skip tonight or at least take it easy (you dont always have to hit the pads as hard as you can...etc..)

If it really is just *****ness then stop it.

:eek:

red5angel
01-29-2003, 11:16 AM
"If it really is just *****ness then stop it."

LOL! It's not that it hurts so much as it just feels weak. For instance when I pick up a glass I don't feel like my grip is strong enough to hold it. It's sort of a stiff numbness on top of the arm. My wrists aren't that flexible so it may have been just holding up the mitts for my partner as long as I did.

SevenStar
01-29-2003, 11:20 AM
did you relax your fists when you weren't punching?

SevenStar
01-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by MightyB

There goes your love life.

Nice.

Oso
01-29-2003, 11:28 AM
sounds like just muscle fatigue.

you should probably give the forearms a night off.

do something else. Others can correct me but as I understand
it the smaller muscles need the 24hours to recoup if they were
burned to failure. Only the abs and legs can take day in day
out work, I think.

Crimson Phoenix
01-29-2003, 11:41 AM
oohhh, THAT feeling?? Well, don't worry, it will fade...

When I practice on the heavy leather bag in our kwoon (the stuff has been around for like 30 years, made of very thick leather), I have to clench my fists real hard because the stuff is so heavy and hard that any incorrect angle can make me screw up my wrist or fingers...no need for makiwaras when you got bags like that...
So after a good session, I can barely hold on to anything, and my fingers shake so much I cannot type, draw or write for a great while...

Well, the difference, if you ask, is that I just don't whine about it on a net forum hehehehehe...
kidding once again :D
My mother called and she declares you the winner already...it's a no contest ;)

red5angel
01-29-2003, 11:42 AM
7*, that occurred to me too and that may have been part of the problem.

Oso- probably right, just muscle fatigue, but I hate missing class, especially for something so small!!

Crimson Phoenix - did you or do you take a day off when your hands feel like that or do you just work through it?

hehe, your mom said that last time we had a challenge match and you were the result so she lost that one too. ;)

IronFist
01-29-2003, 11:51 AM
r5a said:
My wrists aren't that flexible so it may have been just holding up the mitts for my partner as long as I did.

You said it was probably from holding the mitts. Probably, cuz if you're holding them with your hand pulled back (in like the "Stop!" position). It's the top of the forearm that pulls the arms up like that, so that's probably why they're sore. I think that makes more sense than the top of your forearms being sore from punching too much.

IronFist

red5angel
01-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Ironfist I think you hit it on the head! If I hold my hands up like that that is when I feel it the most.

Oso
01-29-2003, 12:33 PM
would you have to do the exact same drill tonight?
seems like you should still be able to go to class and
work something else to exhaustion tonight?

red5angel
01-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Not sure really. Tonight is Muy Thai night so possibly. Honestly I hate to look like an idiot too walking in and saying, "hey I can't do punching tonight, my arms hurt." since I have been only going for a few weeks. It sounds dumb but hey we all have our things. I don't mind exposing myself on the forum here cause you guys are all out of arms reach anyway. ;)

fa_jing
01-29-2003, 10:33 PM
I remember that when we did lots of work, it was difficult just keeping my hands up with the focus mitts, and tiring just to hold the air shield for the other guy. That's because we had already exhausted ourselves.

IronFist
01-30-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
Not sure really. Tonight is Muy Thai night so possibly. Honestly I hate to look like an idiot too walking in and saying, "hey I can't do punching tonight, my arms hurt." since I have been only going for a few weeks. It sounds dumb but hey we all have our things. I don't mind exposing myself on the forum here cause you guys are all out of arms reach anyway. ;)

**** that ****. If you're too sore, don't do it. At martial arts club tonight I told them I wasn't doing the exercises at the end of class because i was sick. I am kind of sick, and I knew I might get worse if I did all those pushups and situps and etc. At least they were cool tho, they were like "if you're sick, that's ok."

I had other reasons for not wanting to do the exercises, too, but the main one was because I'm kind of sick. Normally I'd just go along with it and bull**** my way through it. Sorry, but pushups and situps and other bodyweight calisthenics to failure are not my idea of an awesome workout, especially when it's not on MY workout schedule. Like what if I was supposed to bench tomorrow? It would mess everything up if I did a bunch of pushups tonight. Exactly.

So just be like "hey, my forearms are sore from this so I can't do this tonight." If they give you ****, tell them it's stupid to train when you're especially sore.

I need to stop abusing my KFO swearing privlidges. I know I spelled that word wrong.

IronFist

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-30-2003, 02:39 AM
i would recommend forearm curls. i learned to start with outer and then do inner. you just lay your forearms along your thighs with your wrists about 3 inches past your knees or whatever is comfortable. outer is palms down inner is palms up. i liked dumbells better for the outer forearms and the bar better for inner (though i wound up using a bar for both after a while for convenience).

before i got the cancer i had worked my way up to 60lbs (3 sets of 8) for outer curls and 75lbs (3 sets of 12) for inner. i did this 3 times per week and never had a problem with overtraining them. i know this is a lot of reps for the inners, but this is what worked for me personally and i never had any problems with adding weight or soreness. my forearms got huge too .... i looked like popeye when i first got done with the sets. having short man's syndrom this is exactly what i was going for.

Crimson Phoenix
01-30-2003, 05:48 AM
R5A:

DDDAAAADDDYYYY! This can't be...my mother always told me I was the son of God...or maybe it was just a convenient explanation for my half chromosomal count LOL

Anyway, it just goes away after a couple of hours...there were times when a little pain persisted, but as soon as I'd train again it would disappear (or at least I didn't notice it).
Juqt go training and see what happens. If it really hurts too much, then take a little break. Knowing when to let your body recover is an integral part of an intense and dedicated training regimen...

red5angel
01-30-2003, 07:44 AM
Well, I decided to go to class, and if my arms couldn't take it I would do other things. It turns out I was ok though, we did plenty of kicking drills. Today they are a little sore but not as worn out so I am going to take a day off.

Crinmson Phoenix, she probably meant to tell you at some point but you seemed to attached to your other "father".

gnugear
01-30-2003, 03:16 PM
That pole lifting excercise I told you about will blast the hell out of your foreams! My grip is a heck of a lot stronger now.

red5angel
01-30-2003, 03:28 PM
yep! I keep forgetting about that one, especially now that I have the spear!!