PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Yenhoi

red5angel
01-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Are you just doing the JKD thing or do you do any of the silat/kali stuff as well?

What will you be testing for when Rick Faye comes out there?

yenhoi
01-29-2003, 10:51 AM
I learn daves martial art from dave.

:D

I am unsure about the details concerning daves program vs ricks program over there. Kali/Panantukan and Silat are integrated into "our JKD." We dont study this martial art stuff by individual 'art' we study training methods and principles etc - so a Phase I student here would have elements from many of ricks Individual programs. I think, just from looking at ricks website.

I dont know the details on 'the test.' Nothing about our group is formal, so I dont know what exactly will be going on on how the politics or the officialness of any of it works. I have a phase 1 outline, so I would assume that has something to do with it all, but I think his visit is really just to see where the 6 of us are "at."

red5angel
01-29-2003, 10:56 AM
There is some bleed over from each art in the way Rick teaches it. Panantukan seems to gell nicely with JKD, although it seems JKD tends to have more legwork and Panantukan tends towards fist work, boxing.
The phase programs are kind of cool, they blend in a little of everything a sort of a way to get a solid foundation, develop connectedness, control, and unity. I've never been to one but it looks like they go through a few different things. Last night they went through sticks, then some focus mitt work, then some kicking. I am actually considering getting into the program just to help with the foundational stuff.
Ricks a cool guy, I haven't got to spend a whole lot of time talking to him but he makes sure he touches bases with everyone at some point during the classes.

I am getting a kick out of the panantukan, it has been a hell of a lot of fun so far. I haven't done much with the JKD yet but plan to in the future.

yenhoi
01-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Doesnt mnkali offer a Jun Fan program and a JKD program?

Anyways, ricks phase classes sound extremly similar to ours.

Might go like, warmup, few thai rounds, sticks, focus gloves, open hand drill (like a panantukan salute drill.)

Kali/panantukan handwork and trapping go very will with JKD trapping (which in most places comes directly from Jun Fan trapping.... wing chun trapping...)

You will find the same type of training/hands in sacramento at pat kelly's. And they officially train in some Japanese kyotokushotokan ryu thingie.

Silat has alot of trapping and grappling. mnkali silat and grappling (not bjj) probably is very similar to Larry Hartsell's JKD/Grappling association, and so would also be very similar to the grappling program I train.

:eek:

red5angel
01-29-2003, 11:13 AM
How big is your class there? Is it something sort of thrown together or is it an actual location?

Yep, they do Jun Fan and JKD, although I am not real clear on the differences really.

Do you train the grappling at the same school or do you go elsewhere?

yenhoi
01-29-2003, 11:26 AM
There are 6 of us that train on a regular basis together. During warm weather class is held in my teachers backyard. During winter he usually only offers private lessons or small groups, but since I have a small dojo in my basement, we have class there. The only thing formal is the little handout you get when you start. I train the grappling with the same teacher, but I also goto the local bjj academy's open roll night and kinda train there on tuesdays for a couple hours. Its like being a kid in a candy shop, there is like 25 guys and gals over there that you can roll with.

red5angel
01-29-2003, 11:47 AM
The grappling at Ricks school looks like BJJ to me, but I could be wrong. I am going to check it out more next week, I have been mainly doing grappling at the other school I was attending.