PDA

View Full Version : sparring?

stubbs
04-29-2001, 05:14 PM
when you see tv shows about shaolin kungfu, you see alot of forms, weapons forms, qigong and alot of fitness, but i haven't seen any of them spar.

if i was to go to a shaolin school in china(which i hope to do) will i do any sparring or practical applications?

i was also wondering how effective people think shaolin kungfu is against modern fighting, such as straight line styles( eg JKD) or freestyle fighting and cross trainers.

"satisfaction loses, humility gains"

Fu-Pow
04-30-2001, 02:37 AM
The reason that you don't see them spar is that the "shaolin kungfu" they do is really sport wushu. It doesn't have realistic martial application...its just a lot of hopping around in monks robes. Today "real Shaolin" techniques exist in Hung Gar, Northern Long Fist, Choy Lay Fut, etc, etc....its not as pretty or flashy but unlike modern wushu it gets the job done....get out of those **** robes people.....

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Brad
04-30-2001, 05:07 AM
Actualy many do spar. It will probably depend on which school you go to though.

Brad
04-30-2001, 05:10 AM
If you want to focus on fighting a lot of schools will probably let you do that.

Sun_Tzu
05-01-2001, 04:09 AM
They showed the Neo-temple people sparing. Wasn't that great, matter o fact it was lame.

....The skilled commander

stubbs
05-07-2001, 10:58 AM
alot of people say that shaolin monks are the best martial artists in the world, how have they recently proved this if they don't spar or show any practical applications?

i dont mean to sound disrespectful but apart from the stories of when they needed to defend the emperor, i haven't heard of any of them in a real fight. does anyone have any modern stories of some monks or people that train in shaolin kungfu that have been in a fight?

stubbs
05-07-2001, 11:34 PM
:( anything at all? there must be some stories

ope
05-08-2001, 05:21 AM
I have a story for you very true.. i dunno if this person is a monk but he is a master in shoalin kungfu.. is name if i remmeber was master woo (sp?) anyways i think he lives in newyork not sure what part.. he was famous in newyork of his abilities so no one realy bothered him.. i heard 2 stories this is the first one.. once master woo was walking down the road he had just boat groceries from the store when 2 men jump infront of him one had a gun the next one did not obviously they tryed to rob him.. before the man with the gun could say anything he shot his hands with his fingers sticken out into the mans chest some say that his hand actaully penetrated anyways the man with the gun droped on the floor and with 2 strikes he crimpled the next man sending him to the hospital.. the man with the gun died..

Another story is that a few years back the muai tai kickboxing champion was in new york and he went to a resturant were master woo was.. he had heard of the oldmans skills and confronted him.. Master woo tryed to ignore the fool but he grabed him and before he new it the muai tai fighter was lifted off the ground and slamed on the table and master woo stared into his eyes and the muai tai guy quickly backed off and left..

Let me also add that i do not really beleive in sparing a little is ok but to much is not good.. sparing teaches you to hold back which is not always a good thing..

joedoe
05-08-2001, 07:47 AM
The late Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong was a formiddable fighter. While he wasn't a monk, he certainly was a master of Shaolin, and his life reads like a movie script when it comes to fighting. Several sword fights against Japanese soldiers, and many challenges fought at his school in Kuala Lumpur. At the age of 65 he defeated a Muay Thai fighter easily.

Shaolin is an effective fighting system, but ultimately it depends on the fighter.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

WenJin
05-08-2001, 10:41 AM
The late Grandmaster Chong Beng Joo was a formiddable fighter. While he wasn't a monk, Though he did learn from the most famous southern shaolin monk SekGok Sum. He certainly was a master of Shaolin, and his life reads like a classic novel when it comes to combat. Famous for winning the first South East Asia tournament (ie no gloves nor rules) he won every battle with a single blow thereafter named the Iron Fist. Endless amounts of challengers through years after with people attempting to prove themselves fell to his fist and on his travels to China his students took the Songshan shaolin monks with ease. For these and many other achievements he became the instructor of the National special forces in Singapore amongst other posts....though he remained inheritor of southern shaolin from Abbott Sek Gok Sum all other disciples branched off to Malaysia Indonesia and other places though only he thrived in respect within Singapore.

Shaolin is an effective fighting system, but ultimately it depends on the fighter, the teacher and the practice.

Abandit used your style :) thanks

Grappling-Insanity
05-28-2001, 07:37 AM
I'm sorry but those stories sound REALLY fake. His fingers penetrated his flesh???. In his CHEST!!! lol thats the most phony thing I've heard in quite awhile.

Internal Flow
05-28-2001, 07:45 AM
A martial technique that cant kill a man is not a martial technique. Why not believe it? it is something that can be achieved with hard training and time.

Grappling-Insanity
06-02-2001, 10:29 AM
How is it not hard to believe?!?!?!!!. OMG you got to be kidding me here!!!!. SO your saying that the guy seriously jammed his fingers through flesh and into the guys CHEST!!!!. Think b4 u say it man.

Grappling-Insanity
06-02-2001, 10:32 AM
Buddy here's a leson in life, you dont wanna go around maiming/killing ppl. A "martial technique" does not have to be able to kill some1. To merely KO or break a important joint (i.e. elbow :) ). Thats the ****hest I would probably go unless he was going to kill me.

doug maverick
06-02-2001, 06:48 PM
theres an anual compition they have thats for kung fu and shaolin usually wins!!!!!! if u think they do wushu u are mastaking while they do have wushu in shaolin they also have traditional kung fu so just calm down. the wushu is just for show as everyone knows. but the real kung fu is for training!!!!!!!!!