PDA

View Full Version : Question about Protein shakes

Epyon
01-30-2003, 01:56 PM
I am interested in using protein shakes for a post work out supplement (not a meal) , but I have a few questions about them.

1. Do you recommend having a shake just after lifting or after any kind of workout (cardio and training)?

2. What are some things I should look for in a shake mix at the store (like good and bad things)?

3. If you have use a shake or have what brands do you recommend?

4. Do you prefer to just have the shake raw or do you mix in stuff with it (like fruit, ice-cream, ect)?

Kempo Guy
01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
First off, are you going to be using a protein shake as a MRP (meal replacement)? OR is it just to add more protein to your diet in order to gain mass or....? If you are looking for a MRP, then I'd suggest going with something like EAS Myoplex.... If you're looking for just a plain protein shake look for product with "Whey Protein Isolate" (although it's more expensive), or "egg protein". The former is apparantly the most potent protein...

In any event, a lot of people take a protein shake about an hour after your workout (cardio and weight). Some people also take a protein shake before going to sleep...

There are many brands out there but "N-large" and "Designer Whey" has been recommended in the past. Another decent source is "Protein Factory", who will customize your protein powder...

I generally mix my protein shake with water (and occasionally milk) and throw in some strawberry's or bananas. When using MRP's I just mix it with water most of the time as I don't have access to a blender.

I'm sure there are other here that can give you better advice than I...
KG

Epyon
01-30-2003, 04:28 PM
In my post I said not a meal so im just looking to add some protein to my diet, not a MRP.

lowsweep
01-30-2003, 04:36 PM
I would recommend a pre-workout shake instead of a post-workout one. Studies have shown that whey protein isolate already in the blood stream at the time of the workout helps with the nitrogen and adds a lot to your gains. Most powders you buy in GNC or health food stores are overpriced and include lower quality protein (it will be less digestible and the amino acid chain will be less desirable for building muscle). Also, nearly all of these mixes contain chemical thickeners to make the shake more milkshake-like. Unfortunately, they also stick to the inside of your arteries...
Try going to:

http://www.proteinfactory.com

That's where I order all of my protein, as you can put anything you want in your mix and avoid low quality protein as well as harmful extras. Go there and read about all of the proteins and either choose one of their mixes or make yor own. I use a mix with 70% CFM Whey Isolate (highest quality whey protein available), 20% Egg White Protein (I throw it in for amino acid diversity) and I switch up the remaining percentage with MCT 60 powder (helps you make gains if youre a hardgainer like me...) and flax seeds (great for the heart, excellent source of omega healthy fats). Also, for something like 25 cents a pound you can have them add aminogen to the mix. This is an enzyme which nearly doubles the levels and duration of protein in your blood stream (or so they claim, I think its worth it for a quarter).

I use a protein shake for two things: making sure I have high quality protein in me before I lift, and as a supplement to the protein I get in other meals if I seem to be falling short of the 1 gram per pound of bodyweight amount. Also, I would recommend eating something, preferably something with sugar and fat in it, at the same time you take the protein shake. Sugar helps with protein distribution through the blood to muscles and both fats and sugars can be used for energy so your body doesnt burn up the protein for energy instead of using it to build.

As far as taste goes, try buying some cocoa and putting it in if your needs some help drinking it. I mix mine in water usually, as I've heard milk may cause the shake to be harder to digest.

hope I could help,
adam

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 04:46 PM
From what I have read and heard from (hopefully) reliable sources it is best to use a whey protein isolate for pre/post workout shakes. You can use whey protein concentrate and/or calcium cassinate for more slow release protein (ie. before bed to reduce catabolism).

I am using AST VP2 at the moment. Tastes good and mixes well although it is a little pricey. Web: www.ast-ss.com.

I am about to try MRM Massive Whey which is about 1/2 the price for a similar product. Web: www.mrm-usa.com.

Also, visit www.sizematters.com.au, they have a great forum and www.testosterone.net is full of info on these topics.

FYI - I have been told to steer clear of soy protein products due to their ill affects on men.

Peace.

Cheese Dog
01-30-2003, 11:58 PM
I think it is a good idea to have more than one source of protein in your shake because different proteins are absorbed at different rates. Also include some good fats and fiber for your health. I usually do a "recipe" like this:

Tablespoon of Whey protein (fast absorbing)
" " Egg protein (medium absorbtion rate)
" " Soy protein (also medium)
" " Milk protein (slow absorbing)
This gives your muscles a steady feed of amino acids over a period of time. Also keeps you from getting hungry as fast.

Then I add:

1 or 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil (for essential fatty acids)
1 or 2 tablespoons of psyllium (fiber-also keeps you full longer and good for your health.)
1 teaspoon of creatine.
1 cup of milk, you can use water if your lactose intolerant. Soy milk is good also.

This makes a HUGE shake, but it works well for me, I don't get hungry for 3-4 hours, so it works for weight loss. If you want to gain, just eat a solid food meal about an hour later.

As for brands, I usually buy whatever is on sale at GNC or the local health food store.

You should have the shake right after working out, your body is "primed" by exercise to use large quantities of aminos for repair.

Sho
01-31-2003, 12:38 AM
I make protein shakes from soy bean powder, banana and milk. By the way thanks for the tip of using cocoa, lowsweep.

IronFist
01-31-2003, 02:02 AM
Ok, I'm a bit wasted right now. I didn't read any of the other replies.

Let's see how much sense I can make when I'm wasted.

1. Do you recommend having a shake just after lifting or after any kind of workout (cardio and training)?

After any kind of workou where your muscles have been worked is a good idea.

2. What are some things I should look for in a shake mix at the store (like good and bad things)?

It depends if you want a plain protein shake, or a MRP (meal replacement shake). A protein shake is obviously mostly protein. A MRP has a lot more calories and should have a lot of protein as well.

If you're using protein shakes, look at the label. It will say grams per serving. Then look at grams of protein per serving. If one serving is 35g but there's only 27g of protein per serving, then that means that you're getting 8g of stuff that's not protein. You need to look at what that is. Most protein shakes will have a little fat and carbs in them, but most are mostly protein. They might also have some amino acids in them. Glutamine is a good one. Most protein shakes are probably around 100-150 calories per serving.

If you're getting a MRP, it should have more calories. After all, it is designed to take the place of an entire meal and not just be a protein supplement. Make sure it has some fat in it, not a ton of saturated fat, but some fat in it. Some MRP's have only carbs... one I saw had like 150% of the RDA of carbs. Enough of that and you'll become a diabetic. Anyway, N-Large is a decent one.

But if you're just looking to add more protein to your diet and nothing else, go with just a protein supplement. Designer Protein is a good one.

3. If you have use a shake or have what brands do you recommend?

MRP - N-Large
Protein - Designer Protein

4. Do you prefer to just have the shake raw or do you mix in stuff with it (like fruit, ice-cream, ect)?

Desiginer protein is alright by itself in milk. For N-Large shakes, I use vanilla. 20oz of water, 4 scoops of N-large, 8 frozen strawberries, mix it in a blender.

I hope this made sense. Like I said I'm wasted right now.

IronFist

IronFist
01-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by morbicid
inappropriate quote from user was once here. is now gone. that is all. -rtb

That would make sense if you said "I would advise against using your own 'special cream' to mix... regardless of how tempting it is."

You tool, you can't even troll right :rolleyes:

IronFist

Epyon
02-03-2003, 03:06 PM
I got one called "Designer Whey Protein". Is that the kind you were talking about IF? I didnt see any called just "Designer Protein".

TaoBoy
02-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Epyon
I got one called "Designer Whey Protein". Is that the kind you were talking about IF? I didnt see any called just "Designer Protein".

Same thing.
I'm gonna try it soon too.

Hey Aussies - cheap online supplements at:

www.cityhealth.com.au (NSW)
www.vitaminzone.com.au (Vic)

Mr. Bao
02-06-2003, 01:14 PM
There are plenty of reserch that taking a protien shakes will increase recovery and improve stregth gains. There is no questions about that, but the tricky part is knowing how to separate the hype from the bs of the marketing supplement companies.

I personally do not like wasting money and I do not live like a body builder. I try to do simple things to make my body stronger and healthier.

Here is a cheap, effective, simple drink you can make with a plastic shaker, water, "designer whey" which you can buy in bulk, EAS l glumine also in bulk, Simple Cretine by EAS in bulk.

Before an hour of your strength conditioning and after your workout: two scoops of whey by designer, one serving of creatine, one serving of L glumine. You can buy two shakers, prepare the servings above and the add water and then shake it up and drink the sucker. Make sure you do the loading phase of the creatine tho. and you can do the same with the L glumite too but not necessary tho.

As for MRP, I do not even use them. It is a waste of money if you aint of a body buiilder. I am on the warrior diet and dont need that kind of expense to my list. I personally like real solid foods and I hate liquid diets anyways.

Well, that is my drink before and after my workout which I drink four times a week since i train four times inside the gym. I hope this helps and try to make things simple because if it gets too complex, then you wont do it from my experience.

IronFist
02-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Warrior Diet is not a hypertrophy diet. Mr. Bao, what has your experience been with this diet? I've heard mixed things about it. I would stay away from the supplements they sell becaues they're way over priced for what they are.

IronFist

Mr. Bao
02-06-2003, 06:29 PM
IronFist

Greetings. You are right in saying that the Warrior Diet is not a hypertrophy diet, but it is a radical diet which works for me. I have stated before I am not a body builder and dont want anything to do with that sick sport. I think of long term goals and results.

IronFist, you can build lean mass on the warrior tho in long run tho. I follow the diet to the T. I have been on this diet for awhile and I feel great! I have more energy and I have gotten stronger in the gym while on this diet. I am not kidding I am under the PTP/Poliquin hybrid strength training program which my max strength has not decreased but progressively went up even under this kind of diet. In addition, I feel my body is more cleaner, lighter, less bloated, and the detox effects are great. Plus, I have saved money in the long run on MRP and the old six meals a day diet crap.

Yes I too stayed away from the warrior supplement lines because it is filled with hype and cost too much. I am too practical and I know there are better, equal, or similar products out there in the market. That is why I have chosen Designer Whey instead of their Warrior MIlk/protein.

I would give the diet a chance, iron fist. If your strength gain decreases on any diet and you look and feel like crap then you know the diet aint working for you. My body is harder and stronger on this diet, that is all I can say about the warrior diet.

IronFist
02-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply, I forgot about this thread until just now.

You said:
I would give the diet a chance, iron fist. If your strength gain decreases on any diet and you look and feel like crap then you know the diet aint working for you. My body is harder and stronger on this diet, that is all I can say about the warrior diet.

Your strength will decrease on any diet if you don't lift for long enough. Diet can play a role in it, though. The reason I won't do the warrior diet is because I'm already lean as hell and I would never get enough calories on it. But if it works for your goals then that's cool.

Designer Whey is a good choice, btw.

IronFist

Mr. Bao
02-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Iron Fist:

I am lean as hell myself and I am 5'7 or 5'8? and weigh between 165 to 170 depending if I crapped or not. I am by no means am I a huge muther ducker and I am not some skinny looking weakling. I haven't lost any weight on this diet and when I do eat it is big time portion, my friend. Now if you have a high metabolic rate like myself, I am sure you wont get skinny on this diet. I am not forcing you or encouraging you to the warrior diet. I am just telling my experience. Best of luck with your training iron fist.