PDA

View Full Version : Focus

mtod1
01-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi all.

Does anyone have any suggestions re: increasing focus/concentration when blocking, countering etc.

I find that maintaining focus around my opponents sternum allows me to react, without thniking, to whatever comes at me. Sometimes however my concentration is completely shot and I can't block etc to save my life. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
seeya.

S.Teebas
01-30-2003, 08:16 PM
SNT

yuanfen
01-31-2003, 01:15 PM
Yes SLT/SNT (long live the anarchy of English letters for Cantonese terms!)- including proper head and eye alignments.

Mr. Bao
01-31-2003, 05:59 PM
Look at the whole picture, no just focus on one place. Proper structure and proper training will do the rest.

S.Teebas
01-31-2003, 06:29 PM
no just focus on one place.

Why not?

Mr. Bao
02-01-2003, 02:09 PM
ST

If memory serves me correctly, you practice traditional wing chun of the william cheung branch. I am well aware off the the William Cheung eyes drill exercises and the focus on elbows and knees in determining a line of attack. I do not agree with such things and believe in something else that works better for me. Nor do I wish to convince you to change your view.

S.Teebas
02-01-2003, 04:05 PM
I don't practice TWC. I'm just interested in what you focus on? :)

Mr. Bao
02-01-2003, 05:47 PM
ST:

Sorry for my mistake. My focus will depend on the range and circumstance. I was taught many ways to focus within my wing chun education. Generally, I look at my opponent's eyes, but can see his whole gate and read his body language. I don't focus on one body part or assume I am faster than the person who I am engage in combat. There are some tricky and sneaky people out there and looking at their elbows and knees is asking a world of pain in my opinion.

anerlich
02-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Looking at the eyes is a bad idea as it tends to engage the emotions and skews one's awareness inward rather than outward.

I have heard from what I regard as reliable sources that peripheral vision is superior in concert with conditioned responses and pre-conscious processing, which is what you are generally looking for in a fight. The use of central vision, the foveal cone, inside about 15 degrees off center, tends to engage the conscious brain and results in increased (bad) reaction time.

In TWC the beginning student is taught to watch elbows and knees, but most graduate to a more diffuse gaze and take their cues from the movements of chest and hips. Judicious eye movements can also be used to feint and misdirect the opponent's intention.

CONTROLLING the opps's elbows and knees remains sound TWC strategy.