PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to quit?

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 08:52 PM
I've been working in IT for 5 years now. And I've grown to dislike it with a passion. I am currently studying in order to follow another career path.

So, when is it a good time to quit?

1. As soon as you hate going to work everyday?
2. As soon as you have chosen your new path?
3. As soon as you can make enough $$$ to eat?
4. As soon as you have shagged the gorgeous brunette in accounts?

Happiness is more important than work...

Your thoughts?

dezhen2001
01-30-2003, 09:03 PM
i would say its prudent to have something else lined up or at least a clear sense of direction first... but being happy IS more important.

more important to quitting the job is to try and understand WHAT is making u unhappy... for example:

lately i have absolutely HATED doing any design work... my work sucks, my mind isnt in it and it has no character.. just run of the mill garbage. not good when you are at university. but i found the problem is based on many things 1) my personal life and some bad stuff thats happened 2) my lecturers suck and dont have a clue about the subject 3) my class is full or arrogant *******s 4) all the above lead to a big spell of depression which means i am resitting my final year.

but now i have changed some simple things in my life and have someone to share my probs with (and who cares about me), things are starting to get better.

so i think its important to find out whats causing it more than just leaving, or it may happen elsewhere too.

just imo and good luck:)
dawood

ps. to answer the question, all 4 is best - 1-3 being optional :D

Serpent
01-30-2003, 09:03 PM
I'd go with a combination of 3 and 4.

If we stopped working as soon as we hated it most people would be unemployed!

David Jamieson
01-30-2003, 09:22 PM
when it is hurting your soul, you must leave.

when it is stopping your mind, leave.

when it fades your life into nothing, leave.

leaving may be the most difficult experience you have, but in the end, you will have learned from it and you can go on with what you want you life to be.

be what YOU want to BE.

cheers

Serpent
01-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
when it is hurting your soul, you must leave.

when it is stopping your mind, leave.

when it fades your life into nothing, leave.

leaving may be the most difficult experience you have, but in the end, you will have learned from it and you can go on with what you want you life to be.

be what YOU want to BE.

cheers

All very well, but when there's rent to pay and food to buy you can't just walk away.

Any chance of some realism with that fortune cookie, Kung Lek?

SevenStar
01-30-2003, 09:32 PM
sure you can just walk away. Of course, you need to have something planned - have a job lined up before you leave - but it doesn't have to bein the same field.

SevenStar
01-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
I've been working in IT for 5 years now. And I've grown to dislike it with a passion. I am currently studying in order to follow another career path.

So, when is it a good time to quit?

1. As soon as you hate going to work everyday?
2. As soon as you have chosen your new path?
3. As soon as you can make enough $$$ to eat?
4. As soon as you have shagged the gorgeous brunette in accounts?

Happiness is more important than work...

Your thoughts?

I've done 3 and 4. That's not enough to make me leave my field ;)

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 09:44 PM
To put everything in context - I am wasting my life away in front of a computer. Now, that would be cool if I made as much $$$ as Bill Gates but I don't.

Gonna give IT away in the next couple of weeks. I'll either find some part time work that I like or go back to my old uni routine (study, bar work, work out).

Thanks guys!

Serpent
01-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Good luck! Let us know how you go!

SevenStar
01-30-2003, 10:07 PM
what made you hate IT and what exactly do you do?

TaoBoy
01-30-2003, 10:33 PM
I'm dissillusioned with the whole industry.

How so many people with vacuous minds can be part of one industry astounds me.

I am a developer although I have been a technical consultant previously. I am not working for a rather large, multi-national ERP company. I'm stuck in a programmer role, am mis-managed and have no chance of promotion. All bonuses and salary increases have been frozen and there is nothing here to motivate me anymore. Further, I am on a project that is DOOMED.

I've had a run of **** jobs, most with big organisations. The one job I really liked ended badly when I was retrenched after pouring a lot of time into it. *******S.

'nuff said!

Serpent
01-30-2003, 10:39 PM
The corporate world simultaneously sucks and blows. It's that bad.

Losttrak
01-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Its a managers market right now... Even a ****ty job, if its paying the bills is good right now. Bite the bullet until the economy picks up... then hop to something else. Fortitude... survive... dont let it get to you. I work for Allegiance Telecom... i know the feeling!

joedoe
01-30-2003, 11:02 PM
The whole industry right now is really tough. I am involved in a startup and the going is excrutiating because the market is just not picking up.

If you still enjoy the work itself, don't give up on it. If your problem is with the organisation, then try to find somewhere new. I know that even though times are tough and sometimes you just wanna toss it in, I still love programming.

FatherDog
01-30-2003, 11:33 PM
When you have another job lined up. Period.

That's my opinion. Of course, I've never been without a job since the age of 14.

And yes, the corporate environment sucks. That's why I work for a school. It sucks too, but in a different way.

Laughing Cow
01-31-2003, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't quit right now, the market is too unstable, unless you got a much better deal lined-up.

Said that I work in one of the Companies that really is "cutting edge", we introduce new Software from worldwide suppliers into the local market.
i.e. EAI, Webserver and so on.
In short we help Companies connect to the Net and optimise/integrate their systems.

We are also at the moment ranked as IBM's No.1 Solution provider here.
The market is slow but will pick up towards the 2nd half of the Year.

Said that we don't do much development in-house, most of that we outsource to China and our SE's are more Consultants/Pre-sales/Q&A guys.

We get to play with some of the coolest tools out there too.

So my suggestion is look for a chance of work within your field.
If you got enough experience consultation sor sales support might just be the thing.

Cheers.

morbicid
01-31-2003, 12:44 AM
I have decided to give up supporting the war on aids and join support for the war on herpes. It's a war that's been around much longer, and there's a LOT more people involved. Plus, people with herpes are more annoying than people with aids.

HERPES IS GOIN DOWN!!!! Not in a literal sense, I hope.

Sho
01-31-2003, 12:56 AM
Hey, IT is a great profession if you like it and especially if it's your hobby - it's a very creative job. One would probably die of boredom if he coded PHP for 8 hours a day and wasn't interested in it. I'm not saying that there aren't any worse jobs out there, but as it was the topic of discussion I brought this up. Just my two cents worth.

MightyB
01-31-2003, 06:46 AM
Have you ever thought of starting your own business?

I hate my job too and it's supposed to be one of those really creative jobs that everybody wants to do. In the end, it's just a lot of sucking up and ego stroking of people who do bad things and try to cover them up with broad smiles. But, my golden parachute, the thing that keeps me going is that I know that I won't be doing this here forever.

Think about this though, 65 is the retirement age in the US. Most have to work after retirement. (using myself as an example) I'm 28 so that leaves a mininum of 37 more years that I have to work. I was supposed to figure out what I'll be doing for all those years in 4 short years of college? I don't think so!---

Soul search, retrain if you have to, but in the end, follow your heart. It won't be easy, but you'll be better off because of it. Remember, those who dare, succeed. You can take the safe/conservative route and be miserable for the bulk of your life and waste the one opportunity you get, or you can say F___ it and do what YOU want, not what somebody else wants you to do.

Budokan
01-31-2003, 08:36 AM
If you're as unhappy as you say then the time to leave is now. Good luck!

Suntzu
01-31-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm going thru the same ish… this job sucks… all I get out of this place is a paycheck… free unauthorized internet use… and not having to be home stuck watching Jenny Jones… I could think of better ways to spend 8 hours a day… but the banks don’t play… they want there $$$ or they come in with guns blazing... but now is not the time to quit without a plan… one that will pay… folk is azz out these days… Enron and 'em exploded that 'good times are here again' bubble… and everybody is hurting… get/stay creative… keep $$$ from the job coming in… and find other ways to get $$$ comming in OUTSIDE of the 9 to 5...

*going to follow own advice*

red5angel
01-31-2003, 09:26 AM
Taoboy - nail the brunette first if possible. Preferably, put in your 'notice' by screwing the crap out of her on your bosses desk on your lunch hour and don't clean up the mess.

BrentCarey
01-31-2003, 10:06 AM
I also spent too many years in that industry. It will suck the life out of you. I think this is a good thing though. I have seen so many people get worn down so much by the IT industry that they finally give up (or are laid off). This seems like a terrible end to an unfortunate situation, but an interesting thing happens.

Most of these people are so ready for a BIG change that they finally have the guts to follow their dreams. Most of the people I know that have left the IT industry in the past several years, are now doing what they've always wanted to do anyway.

So, there you have it. I say that prudence is highly overrated. It is never the "perfect" time to do anything. There are always reasons to wait. If people always waited for everything to be in order before making major changes, we would never get married and have children.

Two things I have noticed about one's career. If you love what your are doing, you would pay someone else for the opportunity to do it. If you hate what you are doing, no amount of money makes it worth it.

-Brent

David Jamieson
01-31-2003, 10:47 AM
serpent-

no fortune cookie about it.

money is not greater than personal peace of mind.
If you are willing to do anything for money then, well, that's up to you.

Of course one must make provisions. I'd leave if I was becoming affected and effected negatively. It is not worth it at all. Nothing is worth your time that cause you emotional distress.

Money is the most shallow reason for continuation with anything.

cheers

TaoBoy
02-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by BrentCarey
I also spent too many years in that industry. It will suck the life out of you. I think this is a good thing though. I have seen so many people get worn down so much by the IT industry that they finally give up (or are laid off). This seems like a terrible end to an unfortunate situation, but an interesting thing happens.

Most of these people are so ready for a BIG change that they finally have the guts to follow their dreams. Most of the people I know that have left the IT industry in the past several years, are now doing what they've always wanted to do anyway.

So, there you have it. I say that prudence is highly overrated. It is never the "perfect" time to do anything. There are always reasons to wait. If people always waited for everything to be in order before making major changes, we would never get married and have children.

-Brent

Aaaah, the return of Mr. Carey! Hope you have been well.

Your words are like my thoughts.

I have made my decision. I am handing in my resignation Monday morning. I am going to follow my dream. Over the next year I will be completing my Traditional Chinese Medicine (massage) course and my Fitness course. Soon, I will be doing what I really want to do. That is, working in the health and fitness industry!!

Fingers crossed.

BrentCarey
02-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Aaaah, the return of Mr. Carey! Hope you have been well.

Thank you sir. I have been quite well. I trust things are about to get much better for you.

I have made my decision. [...] Soon, I will be doing what I really want to do. That is, working in the health and fitness industry!!

I have never looked back. I hope your future is without regrets.

-Brent

Serpent
02-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
serpent-

no fortune cookie about it.

money is not greater than personal peace of mind.
If you are willing to do anything for money then, well, that's up to you.

Of course one must make provisions. I'd leave if I was becoming affected and effected negatively. It is not worth it at all. Nothing is worth your time that cause you emotional distress.

Money is the most shallow reason for continuation with anything.

cheers

What causes more emotional distress? Having a ****ty job or living in a cardbox eating rats for dinner, assuming you have the energy to catch one?

David
02-02-2003, 05:51 PM
When you're seeking happiness (surprising the ppl who aren't!) then the thing you have to be wary of is seeking the easy way eg 'hey I'd be happier if I didn't have to do loads of stuff'. That way makes u feel clever until u find that u wish you;d done something with your time because all you have to look back on are wasted opportunities.

I've had a lot of negative feelings about my place in the IT world over 9 years. When it's got it's darkest, it got darker and then darker again. Then, against all expectations, a light appears lending vigour to the enterprise of fulfillment.

Read Dilbert. Find out what kind of worker you are and then bend the job to fit. ;)

Suntzu mentioned the keyword that turned me around: "creative". I had a long time off sick and the one thing that crystalised out of all that free time was that to be happy in IT, I had to be doing something truly creative. When I got back to work, it wasn't long before it was written into my job description, such was my enthusiasm.

Brent said good stuff too. I'd modify that to say you're doing IT probably because it seemed a good thing before it all got 'serious'. Rediscover the original impetus and don't waste your experience. We're talking about money as well as happiness, after all.

Saying all that, I read that you've made a decision - one that I envy. Credit card debt means I can't drop out and do the TCM course I'm attracted to so I guess IT is second best choice, but I'm making it into the best I can.

Serpent, back along, I wsa a carefree soul, living in boxes and eatin rats. Oftimes, I think back on those days and sigh. Seriously.

Good luck, Taoboy!

-David

Serpent
02-02-2003, 06:07 PM
It's a difficult situation though. I'm not too attached to material things, but I need ot pay rent, buy food, pay school fees so that I can train, etc.

Moving into a new career without any cash during the transition is close to impossible in this day and age which is why I brought it up. And Kung Lek's comment is pretty fatuous really considering the nature of the real world.

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 06:38 PM
i think its important to at least have enough money to keep u going till at the worst the unemployment benefit starts to come in :p

Serpent, back along, I wsa a carefree soul, living in boxes and eatin rats. Oftimes, I think back on those days and sigh. Seriously. u mean u were a student like me? :D

my 2nd semester starts tomorrow and i have no idea how i can get the money for food to last let alone module fees and equipment :(

dawood

Serpent
02-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
my 2nd semester starts tomorrow and i have no idea how i can get the money for food to last let alone module fees and equipment :(

dawood

Back to peddling that skinny white ass?

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 07:33 PM
wouldnt get enuff for it even if i did :(

dawood

TaoBoy
02-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Well, as soon as my boss turns up I'm handing in the letter.

It's a big jump because so far as $$$ go I don't have a lot in the bank. However, I have an investment that can save me if everything goes pear-shaped. All in all, I feel really confident about this move. There will be no way for me to retreat, so I can only go forward.

Yay for me!

Serpent
02-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Yay for you! All the best, dude.

You can do it!

Go team KFO!

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 08:15 PM
please dont make me pull out the Pokemon Team Rocket theme

TaoBoy
02-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Xebsball

No man. Don't do it!!!!!

Serpent
02-02-2003, 08:25 PM

For the love of all that's sensual, NO!

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Prepare for trouble!
Make it double!
To protect the world from devestation!
To unite all peoples within our nation !
To denounce the evils of truth and love!
To extend our reach to the stars above!
Jessie!
James!
Team Rocket, blast off at the speed of light!
Surrender now, or prepare to fight!
Meowth! That's right!

TaoBoy
02-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Prepare for trouble!
Make it double!
To protect the world from devestation!
To unite all peoples within our nation !
To denounce the evils of truth and love!
To extend our reach to the stars above!
Jessie!
James!
Team Rocket, blast off at the speed of light!
Surrender now, or prepare to fight!
Meowth! That's right!

Now we must battle!

Serpent
02-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Aarrrrggggghhhhh!

kungfumad
02-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I know TaoBoy pretty well...

... and with his tenacity he will surely succeed in his new chosen field.

By the time you guys read this, TaoBoy will have handed over that resignation letter... so well done my friend!

Boy you got guts and that's what I like about ya!

Even the longest journey begins with one step!

One step down...

P.S. That pokemon thing nearly made me puke!!

Serpent
02-02-2003, 09:40 PM
But the journey of a single step starts with a single step too.

;)

Laughing Cow
02-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Like I was taught:

"Once you hit rock-bottom there is only one way to go --> sideways like a crab"

"The journey starts before the first step is taken and continous after the last one was taken."

;)

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 09:45 PM
pika! pika!

Serpent
02-02-2003, 09:49 PM
pika! pika!

Don't make me come over there!

Laughing Cow
02-02-2003, 09:51 PM
pika! pika!

Digimon chokes Pokemon.
:D

Serpent
02-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Royce would...

Oh, it's getting so tired now.

Xebsball
02-02-2003, 09:53 PM
bulba bulba, bulbasaur!

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 02:58 PM
FYI - I resigned yesterday and walked into a fitness centre up the road from my office. And I got a job. How's that?

dezhen2001
02-03-2003, 03:11 PM
lucky man.

dawood

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't really believe in fate but this must come close...

A few months back some workmates and I walked past the empty building that is now the fitness centre. I commented repeatedly that it would be a great fitness/martial arts centre. Then yesterday we walked past it again and it's a fitness centre so I walked in and introduced myself. Told them the story and ended up with a job. It all has to be confirmed but the owner seems very genuine.

All that and I found it on the day I quit my current job.

A very interesting run of events.

joedoe
02-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Synchronicity?

BTW best of luck with your new endeavours. I must say you are a braver man than I am to take the step like that. I am waiting until I have made my first mill before I do that :)

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Synchronicity?

BTW best of luck with your new endeavours. I must say you are a braver man than I am to take the step like that. I am waiting until I have made my first mill before I do that :)

Your first mill hey?
I'd be waiting a while and in the mean time I'd become a withered shell of myself.

I was inspried my Eric Cartman. See my signature. :D

rogue
02-03-2003, 05:46 PM
I just had two clients go belly up within eight days of each other, which means I'm technically unemployed!!!:eek: There **** well be a silver lining around here somewhere.

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Good luck Rogue!

joedoe
02-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by rogue
I just had two clients go belly up within eight days of each other, which means I'm technically unemployed!!!:eek: There **** well be a silver lining around here somewhere.

Hope it wasn't your services that made them go belly up :D

Seriously though, hope everything works out for you.

rogue
02-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks, I was on death watch with them. Both were trying to save themselves but the writing was was the wall. What sucks is that I was getting moving on training and thinking of taking up kickboxing. Looks like that won't be happening.

Serpent
02-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I was on death watch with them. Both were trying to save themselves but the writing was was the wall. What sucks is that I was getting moving on training and thinking of taking up kickboxing. Looks like that won't be happening.

What does that mean, on death watch with them?

rogue
02-03-2003, 06:24 PM
They were circling the drain, assuming room tempreture. Feeling the results of several bad business choices. And I got paid to keep things working as they went under. One is still in business but just barely.

BTW, Goodluck Taoboy on the new career.

anerlich
02-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Adam,

sounds like things are looking up for you! Hope it turns out really well.

I've been in IT for 25 years, and still like it. But it certainly ain't the secure career it used to be.

As for the hot brunette in Accounts (from my second post-university job), I married her!

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by anerlich
Adam,

sounds like things are looking up for you! Hope it turns out really well.

I've been in IT for 25 years, and still like it. But it certainly ain't the secure career it used to be.

As for the hot brunette in Accounts (from my second post-university job), I married her!

Yes, things are looking up. This is really what I want to do.

And you're right about IT. It's changed in the 5 years I've been involved. Much more ruthless now.

As for the brunette - well done. I plan on marrying the brunette I met at kung fu. (The brunette in accounts doesn't exist.)

BTW, Goodluck Taoboy on the new career.

Thanks rogue.
I'm sure things will work out for you also.

Serpent
02-03-2003, 08:15 PM

As for the brunette - well done. I plan on marrying the brunette I met at kung fu. (The brunette in accounts doesn't exist.)

Aw, dude! How can we trust anything you say now!?

I bet you're actually a 300lb old woman in North Wales, tapping away with your stubby fingers, surrounded by your own feotid stench, giggling as you try to convince all us innocents that you're actually a career changing Australian male!

You b@stard.

Xebsball
02-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Congrats on new job :)

BEEEEFCAKE!!
You guys, this is so tits