PDA

View Full Version : Ever felt time was passing you by?

phoenix-eye
01-31-2003, 06:04 AM
I'm 32 and learning Hung Gar just now after numerous years in various styles.

I now know that Hung Gar is the perfect style for me and has so much depth. I just wish I had started years ago......

Now, all I want to do is learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. This is a BAD thing as I know that I should spend time, perfect a small number of forms and gradually progress.

However, although I would never say that my basics are anywhere near perfect I feel that they are fairly good. I therefore seem able to pick things up quite quickly and my Sifu has acknowledged this by allowing me to learn some forms a bit before some of the rest of the class. I've also been allowed to take private lesson with the Sigung before my grade would really allow.

I just want to cram as much in as possible. Do any other "old timers" or "late comers" feel the same? Do you think its harmful to your overall progress? Or, if you've been in MA for a long time but switched styles late in the day, do you feel that you can make faster progress?

eulerfan
01-31-2003, 06:21 AM
I think it's entirely possible that your feeling the need to learn as much as possible and catch up is a phase that will wear off.

Like, when you start a race, you want to go as fast as possible. But, if it's a long race, you will ultimately settle into a more sustainable pace.

So, I would just ride out this phase that you are in as a natural occurance. Don't worry about being in it but expect it won't last.

Budokan
01-31-2003, 08:40 AM
Like most other things in life learning MA should be viewed as a marathon and not a sprint. It's understandable that you're excited and want to learn as much as you possibly can right now, but that'll wear off and then it will be one long grind. Then you'll see whether or not you really are interested in learning everything about the style and have the fortitude to stick with it.

BrentCarey
01-31-2003, 09:56 AM
I spent something like 12 years primarily in TKD before I switched to kung fu. Prior MA experience definitely helps. Also, learning MA does not necessarily take a long time. Some people pick up a new technique after being shown just once or twice. Others take months/years to get the same technique.

So, if one has an aptitude for learning quickly, there is no reason to hold back. However, what does take time to develop is the physical conditioning, qi control, and mental readiness. Some people have of this naturally, but I have yet to see anyone that can bring it all together without considerable (years) of practice.

I was extremely fortunate when I started learning kung fu. I had nearly unlimited access to instruction, and nearly all day every day to practice. My progress was very rapid. However, it wasn't until I went off and studied on my own (for about 8 years) that I finally "got" it.

Although I was technically proficient and knowledgeable before that, I did not have a more profound understanding of the interrelationships of the techniques and the spirit of the style, nor did I have have the focus and mindset necessary to fully utilize the knowledge I had.

Admitedly, after 25 years of MA experience, I still have much room for improvement. As soon as I don't feel like I can improve anymore, I will quit. Anyone, student or instructor, that feels like they have pretty well mastered kung fu, obviously doesn't get it yet. There is always a new layer of understanding to discover.

I too feel the clock ticking. It is easy to think about how nice it would have been to take advantage of younger days. If I had the knowledge, skills, and understanding 10 years ago that I do today, I would have been an incredible martial artist.

That's the way it works though. Most styles of kung fu are really designed for a lifetime of training, and the ability to perform optimally (all things considered) at any age. The fact is, if I had this level of knowledge 10 years ago, I would have lacked the wisdom to take advantage of my youth, and would have ended up wasting the opportunity all the same.

So, my point is that regrets are pointless. It is difficult or impossible to say what would have been, since contexts change over time.

Now in my mid-30s, I am certainly not dead yet. I do lack the same level of vigor and invincibility I had 10 years ago, but that is just as well. It allows me the ability to slow down and learn with a deeper level of understanding. Yet, I am fortunate to still possess good physical health.

So, I find that I am at the perfect age. If one thinks about it, one will probably find that one is always at the perfect age for the way one studies. Granted, this is because one studies in a manner appropriate to one's age, but let's not split hairs.

My advice: Don't worry about what would have been. Start your MA practice over every day. Learn what you can learn that day, and start over again the next day. Listen to your instructor when he tells you that you can learn more, or when he tells you that you should slow down and digest what you have already begun to learn.

Within his guidance, go as fast or slow as seems appropriate. You may learn very quickly for a year, but then find that you have to slow down and digest for the next 5. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn quickly in that year though.

Most importantly: Don't fall into the trap of worrying about whether or not you are wasting your time doing this thing or that thing. There is much concern about that these days - wondering if my instructor is good, wondering if my style is good, wondering if my practice is beneficial, etc.

As much of a cliche as it sounds to be, learning kung fu is about the journey. If the journey feels right to you, don't worry about the details or the outcome, just enjoy the process. Pick a style, instructor, and practice that seem to match your goals, and stick to them. It sounds like you are finally getting some of that nailed down.

Best of luck to you.

-Brent