PDA

View Full Version : 2 Man Sets/Folded Form

Skarbromantis
01-31-2003, 12:40 PM
In the Mantis Quarterly, Issue#1, Tainan Mantis article on 2 Man Sets speaks on folded forms..

"Folded form set is one in which the second half of the form is the counterpart for the first half"

My question is what forms in the Mantis 7* system can be played like this? As I find it very interesting.

TM nice article, also Mr. Cottrell, very good work on the first issue.

Thanks

Skard1

4 Dragons
01-31-2003, 04:51 PM
How do I get this Mantis Quarterly?

Thanks,
4 Dragons

MantisifuFW
02-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Skarbromantis,

Thank you, sir. I hope that there will be enough interest and high quality submissions to keep things going. We have had a great response, so far!

I will let Tainan mantis address questions on his article. He is obviously very knowledgable on such things.

Those interested message me privately for information on the Quarterly as I do not wish to use this forum for advertisment.

Thanks again,

Steve Cottrell

Tainan Mantis
02-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Skarbromantis,
To my knowledge the only folded form in PM is called Tang Lang Chu Ji Chuen.
Originally called Chu Ji Chuen a combination of several Northern styles most prominent is Baji, but has PM and Eagle Claw as well.

My shrfu changed the entire form to follow the principles of PM.
Which means that if a certain move didn't follow those PM theories in its relation to the other moves he would make some changes.
The result is a longer more complicated form.

Folded forms are rarely complex, but many complex forms that I have seen have elements of the folded forms.

For example; TJPM has the form 12 Old Hands.
The third road starts with the 7* Ling Beng Bu for 3 moves.
Then, instead of moving backwards like the person in Ling Bengbu would normally do it goes into different changes where he goes forward.

If you know a 2 man form of 7* just do the ling road as a solo form and you get the idea of what a folded form is like.