PDA

View Full Version : Why was the third form so secretive?

gnugear
01-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Wasn't it a closed door thing that wasn't really shared openly ... even among other WC practitioners?

What's the reason for this?

Mr. Bao
01-31-2003, 05:52 PM
I think it is not so secret anymore. I mean there are books and videos on the third form. lol. I think people are going to learn in progression from one to three. The bil Gee Form is not much a secret, but studnets i think have to develop the basics first I think before they can truly apply the third form.

Bao

gnugear
01-31-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Bao
I think it is not so secret anymore. I mean there are books and videos on the third form. lol. I think people are going to learn in progression from one to three. The bil Gee Form is not much a secret, but studnets i think have to develop the basics first I think before they can truly apply the third form.

Bao

I guess I'm refering to it historically ... 1950s – 1970s (or whenever)

yuanfen
01-31-2003, 06:52 PM
Gnugear sez:I guess I'm refering to it historically ... 1950s – 1970s (or whenever)
----------------------------------------------------------------
I think that in part you have answered your own question.
Most good and effective TCMA- not just wing chun grew up
in fairly closed environments-selective things taught to selective students---
1. for retaining an edge in effectiveness
2. for quality control
3. preserving the rice bowl

Actually quite understandable in that time and cultural context.
Joy

reneritchie
01-31-2003, 08:07 PM
yuanfen is correct.

Sam
02-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Biu Gee is the Inside Gate form which teaches the four tork powers and internal loose hand.http://www.geocities.com/wingchunbuddhahand/handfootforms.html

Grendel
02-01-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by gnugear
Wasn't it a closed door thing that wasn't really shared openly ... even among other WC practitioners?

What's the reason for this?
Joy makes true points. Especially, his third one. :D

There is a saying to the effect of "Biu gee, then out the door." Many students felt they'd learned all of Wing Chun once they knew Biu gee, so it was only taught to trusted students expected to stick around.

As you know, your line doesn't have that problem. :D Biu gee is far from the end-all, be-all of Ken's Wing Chun.

Regards,

yenhoi
02-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Whats #3? Cultural quality control? Maybe race.... ?

:confused:

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 02:06 AM
keeping students around to pay for lessons so u can have food! :D

dawood

yenhoi
02-02-2003, 02:15 AM
Indeed.

Tks,

YungChun
02-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Well the main function of the form is to train you to 'get out of' what the first two forms can do to you. Need I say more.

YC