PDA

View Full Version : Are Leung Tings Wing Chun Books Worth Buying ?

FIRE HAWK
01-31-2003, 11:06 PM
Are Leung Tings Wing Chun books worth buying ?

PHILBERT
01-31-2003, 11:14 PM
He writes Wing Chun books?

aelward
02-01-2003, 12:44 AM
IMHO, despite a certain amount of propoganda ("WC people do this wrong, while WT people do it correctly"), his books have some interesting stuff.

Wing Tsun Keun-- nice show of the first form, principles, and best description of chi sao I've seen in print

Roots of Wing Tsun-- lots of sickening propoganda here, but cool if you want to see some old pictures of Yip Man

Dynamic Wing Tsun-- some interesting drills, if that floats your boat.

On Unarmed Combat-- (Actually by Sifu Keith Kernspecht) really interesting book on "why WT works," while putting the system in a historical and comparative perspective.

FIRE HAWK
02-01-2003, 03:14 AM
http://www.wle.com//store/b_wingtsun.html

TjD
02-01-2003, 11:58 AM
IMO a book on wing chun is mostly worthless, except for bookshelf filler. your time spent reading it would be better spent training and your money would be better spent getting lessons.

quiet man
02-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by TjD
IMO a book on wing chun is mostly worthless, except for bookshelf filler. your time spent reading it would be better spent training and your money would be better spent getting lessons.

I couldn't have said it better. ;)

Except this one thing: I'd like to know everything about WC. You can't receive "practical" knowledge (i.e., the techniques) from a book. No way. But you can learn about history of WC and the lives of masters and things like that from a book, and that's the kind of book I'd like to see.

PHILBERT
02-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by FIRE HAWK
http://www.wle.com//store/b_wingtsun.html

:p, it was a joke because Leung Ting has spent years seperating himself from Wing Chun and being Wing Tsun.

Nichiren
02-02-2003, 03:16 AM
Hi

I think "Wing Tsun Kuen" is really good. You have the first two forms and lots of chisau drills. But you have to see through the propaganda though... ;)

reneritchie
02-02-2003, 06:19 AM
Depends what you consider "worth" to be. If you want to see how Leung Ting sifu does his sets, Wing Tsun Kuen is worth buying. If you want to learn them, better you find a WT sifu to teach you. If you already learn from one, maybe they're worth it to you as a reference. If you learn from a William Cheung lineage sifu, maybe they're not a very good reference for you (or maybe they are in a Sunzi sort of way ;)

If you want to see pictures of people from other branches doing approximations of their stuff, then maybe Roots and Branches is worth it to you. If you want to hear Leung Ting's (often very colorful) opinions about other branches, maybe it's also worth it. If you're looking for frame accurate references to other branch's sets, maybe the worth will vary, and if you're looking for a scholarly, professional set of observations about other branches, maybe it won't be what you're looking for.

Worth is always in the eye of the beholder.

UltimateFighter
02-03-2003, 08:10 AM
The 'Bible' of WT is the book Wing Tsun Kuen. It contains a very good outline of the system and is particularly good for reference if you do WT. It contains full pictures of SNT and Chum kiu (though the fine details are missing as they cannot be told through pictures alone), and some good historical info as well as descriptions of the use of chi sau and some important motos to help your training.

Rolling_Hand
02-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Firehwak,

It is wrong to read the books one reviews. It creates a prejudice. Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just listen to Rene Ritchie.

So, why don't you read the book first?

Humm...