PDA

View Full Version : It's no different...

MonkeySlap Too
02-01-2003, 04:45 AM
All this ground fighting versus stand-up stuff reminds me of the punching versus throwing arguments we used have before the first UFC. Most of the schools out there would say we would never get close enough to throw them. But they all went down as easily as a wet paper bag.

Heck, I always thought some ground skills were important. Sure, I still buy the Shuai Chiao doctrine on real fighting - I'll use a weapon on your @ss before it gets to rollling on the ground.

But I'm worried about drunk uncle louie, who thanks to television has a great gaurd. I'd like to be able to pass that gaurd, and deal with him without causing a pneumothoracic puncture.

Ground stuff is not my primary focus, but I certainly train and respect the guys that do that.

Of course I respect my Chinese teachers, but I refuse to let cultural bias get in the way of fighting who I need to fight. Heck, I'm an American.

And if I see one more 'how to fight with (Fill in your CMA style) on the ground' tape by somebody who obviously never fought a ground n' pounder, I'm gonna puke. It makes us all look bad.

So, at minimum, make friends with your local BJJ club and go fight with them. It will be good for understanding your enemy - and that's 50% of the battle.

SevenStar
02-01-2003, 04:57 AM
good post. I think the style vs style thing may have come back up because some of the guys here have started cross training. There's been several over the past few months - kinjit, ironfist, taoboy and several others. They post their experiences, and an unintentional style war starts. With so many single minded people, it can be hard to discuss various styles without going into the style vs debate.

Fred Sanford
02-01-2003, 05:00 AM
kung fu is superior. I would just eye gouge 'em.

SevenStar
02-01-2003, 05:02 AM
of course :D

dezhen2001
02-01-2003, 05:06 AM
i know the thread i started was more trying to guage WHY this vs. thing keeps cropping up and what everyone thinks of the skills they DONT train. but again it descended in to a vs. war... typical KFO :D

i know for me, i respect anyone who trains hard in anything, but im happy with my own skills right now and have more than enough to learn there.

dawood

MonkeySlap Too
02-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Fred, you weren't suppossed to reveal my secret technique! Know everyone will want to learn San Stooges Shodan!!!!

Xebsball
02-01-2003, 08:35 AM
uncle louie??

you should worry bout Xebby. when i was just beggining to train eagle claw back then i already had seen some mma stuff on tv. so i had like a week of training, only learnt the stances.
me and bro got on a fight over the tvs remote control,
i did:
- vertical punch (very much jab-like)
- double leg
- punched him a little
- let go of him
- he chased me to my room
- i fell on my bed, he kept trying to punch me
- we moved to his room and traded (standing) randomicly incorrect punches (as expected)
- i hit him once or twice, got close, think i hit with an elbow too
we stopped eventually