PDA

View Full Version : Kung fu Spirit

Johnny Hot Shot
04-19-2001, 06:24 PM
How does punching and kicking lead to enlightenment? Must one seek external resources to fulfill the pursuit? What do other martial artists think of a spirtital warrior? Does martial arts and spirituality go hand in hand? How does strength, speed and power help develop a better character?

Kung Lek
04-19-2001, 06:39 PM
Hi-

To "master" a martial art, one must integrate the entirity of themselves. The mind, the body and the spirit(intent/will) must all function in unity to achieve Kung Fu in anything, particularly martial arts in this case.

If one does enough investigation into the self concerning these aspects, then insight will be gained. weaknesses will be discovered, capabilities enhanced, confidence in ability will grow as the person discovers they are making progress.

With this, comes peace of mind. One becomes secure in themselves and with their surroundings.
This logically leads to understanding the human condition from a strong root. The natural need to help others in turn grows from this accomplishment.

punching and kicking in themselves don't give the practitioner this. the path is where the lessons are and the progress down the path will only grow the person more and more.

Practice of martial arts using the traditional methods which include meditation and self examination will lead to character development.

Remember that the only true competition you have on the path is yourself. If you don't fool yourself or lie to yourself, well, there is a lesson just in that.

peace

Kung Lek

r.(shaolin)
04-19-2001, 08:43 PM
How does punching and kicking lead to enlightenment?

It does not.

Becoming skilled even highly skilled in martial arts well not make you enlightened. Its one of those myths that's been perpetuated for various reasons.
However, putting great martial power into the hands of the spiritually un=enlightened is highly dangerous and a great disservice to society. Both western and eastern martial traditions have recognized this. It is the reason that Shaolin monks were so cautious in teaching their martial arts to outsiders.
Here is a sad case in point
http://php.indiana.edu/~burdickd/travis.html

r.

[

[This message was edited by R. on 04-20-01 at 12:14 PM.]

Radhnoti
04-19-2001, 09:08 PM
Well said Kung Lek. It is my belief that in seeking mastery of the physical, we can master our mental and spiritual selves as well.
R. that story read like some sort of horror novel. Scary stuff. Makes me glad I found a place where I can be happy and learn.

-Radhnoti

Johnny Hot Shot
04-25-2001, 05:32 PM
Hey guys I would like to thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. There is more to becoming a great Martial artist than just practicing techniques. Great martial artists are great people as well. It seems the longer a person spends training a curiosity of the spiritual side begins to evolve. The guy in that story should be Castrated.

[This message was edited by Loc_Qui on 04-26-01 at 08:39 AM.]

Wongsifu
05-02-2001, 09:58 PM
there are 3 things that work together in this body which trap the soul down if you control them you manage to attain enlightenment come god realisation etc etc by freeing the soul.

The body
The energy/ breath
the mind

Since the mind is way too hard to control. By controlling the other two you can begin to subdue the 3rd one.
In martial arts we practise to control the body and the breath/.////

Rallis@cytanet.com.cy

prana
05-21-2001, 04:47 AM
The body is moved by thoughts. Thoughts are carried by winds through the meridians. Perfecting the body by practice of martial arts, also means perfecting the bodies wind paths "nadi".

Movement is a good way of focussing ones attentino in single pointedness. Regulating winds in this way,one perfects control over the movement of winds and also thoughts.

What is occupying that corpse you call 'I' ?

Johnny Hot Shot
05-22-2001, 11:21 PM
Unless your name is Bodhidarma or your a monk I'm sick of all the wanabe Zen masters replys no offence to you Kung Lek. :mad:

Radhnoti
05-23-2001, 06:34 AM
Hmmm. To avoid the stigma of having a "wanabe Zen masters reply", I'll break down what I meant. :D
When someone learns to do something physical extremely well (not necessarily M A, I felt a great spiritual and mental clarity when my tennis game was going extremely well), that person will have an increase in confidence, self-satisfaction, whatever. In addition, to achieve true physical mastery (again, in my opinion) often entails cutting free all the mental and spiritual clutter weighing so many people down today. Using my personal example from my tennis high school days, I no longer cared what this or that girl thought of me. I no longer worried quite so much about bad skin, or my haircut...I had tennis in my blood, and if I was daydreaming it was about how I'd beat a particularly good opponent. Or reminescing about a really good backhand winner.
Physical mastery, I think, helps you bring the rest of your life into focus.
Here's to hoping that someday I get good enough in Shaolin to feel as focused as I did in my tennis days. ;)

-Radhnoti

reemul
05-27-2001, 12:29 PM
The Neo-Monks at shaolin Temple aren't much better examples of MA falling into the hands of the "spiritually un=enlightened" not too long ago a 14 year boy was killed by his instructor at shaolin temple because the instructor did not like his attitude when asked to move his chores elsewhere.

The Willow Sword
05-29-2001, 08:55 AM
I RAISE MY GLASS TO YOU BROTHER,,RIGHT ON. share what YOU know to others.. make the change in this menatlity we have here in america....zen saying about america: "we are about a mile wide and an inch deep" many respects to you

shaolinboxer
05-29-2001, 10:25 PM
One of the greatest lessons we can learn from martial arts is the process of self analysis. It begins with "am I punching correctly?". The only way to break free from bad habits and tap into your real punching power is to be highly self analytical. By re-enforcing this through hundreds of techniques, the process of self analysis becomes deeper and deeper, until we can see into our true selves. To see yourself clearly and critically, with the purpose of self improvement in mind, leads us in the direction of "enlightenment".

Internal Flow
05-30-2001, 08:40 PM
The answer is simple. Martial arts are not just punching and kicking.

The Black Dragon
06-10-2001, 11:18 PM
Kung fu=

Physical movements designed to defend oneself
Spiritual movements in the mind, body and soul

In the western world it is possible to easily do the former and not the latter. When it comes to that, or at least you do not realise it has come to that, you are not doing Kung Fu, merely a variation on something like kickboxing. (ie. no spirit)

****FU JOW PAI RULES****