PDA

View Full Version : One arm push ups

PHILBERT
02-01-2003, 10:29 PM
If one arm push ups don't work the chest, what exactly do they work? Other then ego.

bob10
02-02-2003, 03:24 AM
Arm and shoulder I would have thought. Plus something for the body as you have to maintain the form throught the body.

Mr. Bao
02-02-2003, 06:50 AM
Phi:

You have may i have read what iron fist wrote about one arm push ups. I would disagree that unilateral pushups does not work the chest, well that depends on your form. Many people just dont know how to do proper form. I have seen some bad form in my time.

It does work your chest and depending on your base level of strength, you can build muscles in your chest, shoulders, and triceps. If your strength base is indeed low in the upper body region, this is actually a cheap way to develop maxium strength. Doing 2-5 reps on each side and resting 5 min between sets is a good start before building up your strength base.

But if you have a higher level of strength base, then hypertropy is not going to happen, but most likely you will develop core stability and local muscular endurance.

I think one arm push ups should be done after maxium strength training for the chest. I think there are benefits in doing one arm pushups and if you want to do them for general healthy or relative strength purposes for the martial arts, go for it.

prana
02-02-2003, 07:45 PM
triceps

Mr. Bao
02-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Prana:

If you did single dumb bell supine chest press, would that be a soley tricep extension without shoulder flexion? If you try different single db press you will feel it different places, but the chest muscles is involved no matter what angle. Now if you did a real single arm push up you can really feel it in your chest or your tricep depending on your form. But make no mistake the chest muscle is involved.