PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody tell me approxomately how many years later till I can learn drunken style

Shaolin Dude
02-02-2003, 12:19 AM
I've been learning kung fu for 7 months now.

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 12:41 AM
That would depend on what level you are, who you train under, what style, etc... Nobody here could accurately tell you that. If you've only been training 7 months though, rest assured that it will be a while. Why the big interest in drunken?

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 01:12 AM
why worry about learning drunken style? first of all... does your style include it in their syllabus? if so, just keep training and u will get to it when you are ready :) id be much more concerned with learning everything in between meanwhile as thats more than enough to keep u busy for a lifetime!

dawood

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 01:19 AM
See what jackie chan started? :D

Scythe
02-02-2003, 01:21 AM
You could learn it now if someone would teach you!

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 01:22 AM
jet li also did drunken in shaolin temple so its 50/50 :p
but the thing about jackies movie is u got to see all the darn training he had to do to become good... so its not like its somehting instant :confused:

dawood

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Scythe
You could learn it now if someone would teach you!

but how likely is that?

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
jet li also did drunken in shaolin temple so its 50/50 :p
but the thing about jackies movie is u got to see all the darn training he had to do to become good... so its not like its somehting instant :confused:

dawood

I like movies that show the characters training, for some reason. For that reason, I like "king of the kickboxers" "kickboxer" 1 and 2, and "best of the best"

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 01:29 AM
yup agreed... i also like all the old 70's movies... long fight sequences all on 1 take with no camera editing etc. thats real skill, not based on editing :)

hey for drunken check here (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-gs003.html) :D

dawood

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 01:31 AM
no doubt.

Actually, I've got that series of tapes you posted. someone dubbed them for me (Don't tell Gene that I didn't have to buy them!) The drunken sword and staff forms he does are pretty cool.

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 01:39 AM
kewl.. i remember when the shaolin peeps were here in the uk that i was at a huge demo and won a balloon in a competition there so had it. then one of the shaolin kids (around 5yrs old) walked past with the group and was looking at it so i gave him it :D he looked so happy and bounced away hehe... then a few mins later he went on stage and did the drunken form :eek:

dawood

SevenStar
02-02-2003, 01:48 AM
hehe, cool. I wouldn't mind seeing that show. People here seem to have pretty good things to say about it.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-02-2003, 02:44 AM
in the words of my sifu:

"you got to love the journey man. not the destination."

something like that anyway.

Liokault
02-02-2003, 05:17 AM
Can anybody tell me approxomately how many years later till I can learn drunken style

18-21 years depending on where u live.......of course u can get a head start by raiding your parents drinks cupboard.

Mr Punch
02-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Yeah, I started drunken style before I actually started kungfu... but the kungfu had to follow cos man, you've no idea how much crap you take when you're 15 and wearing odd socks, your hair in the woke-up-in-a-pile-of-puke fashion, and your underpants outside your trews... again!:eek:

Yeah, that drunken style is sure over-rated...

you'd be much better off practising plain old kungfu and stopping fannying around!:D

Royal Dragon
02-02-2003, 09:58 AM
You want a definitve answer??? Ok, spend the next 3 years MASTERING your basics, principlas and fundementals.

Once you have that, buy the video, and you shold be able to perform the set pretty quick. It will take you years to figure out how to fight with it though, unless you have a teacher to really tune you in, and explain the fighting concepts unique to Drunken style.

Brad
02-02-2003, 11:10 AM
I don't think that's very good advice. If you absolutely must learn drunken and your teach doesn't know it, you're better off tracking down a teacher who knows it... Drunken has all that tumbling, so you'd be a little more likely to get hurt if you did something wrong.

dezhen2001
02-02-2003, 11:28 AM
if u wanna do some acrobatic stuff, why not learn a PRC wushu form like ditang quan or chang quan? or even gymnastics that way you will at least be flexible and accustomed to tumbling. i did gymnastics when i was a kid, and it really helped me get used to tumbling and falling over... actually it helped my breakfalls in aikido and shorinji kempo as i liked to get thrown around :D

dawood

morbicid
02-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Drunken style is awesome. Just know that drunken style isnt for everyone, as the training has different effects that vary from person to person. There was this one guy I used to train with, he complained that during his drunken training cycle he would often wake up the next morning next to ugly / fat girls.

Also, I think the style is outlawed in the US so be careful.
Whenever my friend got pulled over, the cops somehow knew he was training in Drunken style. They would ask him to step out of the car and perform various techniques and stances. I know it sounds crazy, but I was there one time... its true.
I think just hanging out with him made the cops start investigating me, cause the last time I got pulled over the cop was asking me all kinds of trick kung fu questions like "you been drunken tonight?". How much have you "had to drink". Trying to fool me into telling them about my kung fu style!! I just tell them "That isn't my style". And they get pis$ed but they let me go.

Cops are scared to death of people who know kung fu!!! Just watch, next time you get pulled over. Tell the cop you know kung fu. Then make a fast, sudden movement of your arm and watch how fast he pulls out his gun!

ricksitterly
02-02-2003, 09:04 PM
lol thats silly morb

Serpent
02-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Although it was one of his more amusing posts of drivel.

Sho
02-03-2003, 04:41 AM
The Eight Drunken Immortals is one of the last forms that we learn in our school (CLF), but that doesn't mean that you can't learn it first in your school. Some schools' syllabus is divided so that when a student completes the beginner's course, he can choose what style he wants to learn - I've seen a few sites with drunken fist in its choose-your-style syllabus.

No_Know
02-03-2003, 06:57 AM
I don't think Shaolin Dude studies Eight Drunken Immortals style. His Martial Art is listed as Shao-lin. I presume it's wushu-ish, with the speed and fluidity of typical Recent Shao-lin (monk) demonstrationists.

Sho
02-03-2003, 07:25 AM
If it's wushu, then it shouldn't take too long (within a couple of years?) to start learning drunken fist. It all depends on how the curriculum works.

Skarbromantis
02-03-2003, 12:46 PM
morbicid

That Sh(t killed me! :D

Skard1

Ford Prefect
02-03-2003, 02:31 PM
After reading this entire thread, I've come to the conclusion that morbicid is correct.

Scythe
02-04-2003, 08:15 AM
I think Morbicid lives in a fantasy martial arts movie world in his mind:D