PDA

View Full Version : Biu Jee Punches

YungChun
02-02-2003, 04:45 AM
The punches from Biu Jee, sometimes called whipping punches have some interesting attributes. Can anyone who is at the Biu Jee level or higher share some insights into the purpose, function and uses of these punches?

Thanks,

YC

yenhoi
02-02-2003, 11:29 AM
"fine manuvering technique..."

Has something to do with creating space, and weaving/snaking/seeking the little cracks and folds and the big handle-like structures so you can strike/control centerline(s) (specifically the 'whipping' punches.)

I think. But I am fairly new to the 3rd form.

:)

TjD
02-02-2003, 12:21 PM
which punches?

there are a few in biu jee, and they are not all the same

anerlich
02-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Except for two punches at the beginnnig and three punches at the end, which are essentially the same as those performed in CK or SLT, there are no punches in TWC's Bil Jee. All palms, elbows or finger strikes.

TjD
02-02-2003, 04:08 PM
our biu jee has two punches at the beginning (none at the end).

halfway through theres a section which has two straight punches (i assume these are the whipping punches hes referring to),

however my sigung (ip ching) changed these. they used to be uppercuts (which i prefer, and think fit the form better. then again he has a whole lot more experience :D ) - he changed the uppercut in our chum kiu to a straight punch as well.

i use both, quite often.

im assuming our biu jees are rather different (whats your lineage?) as the only other punches are not really whipping punches at all. i feel they train the ability to strike from an extended arm position to another extended arm position as opposed to retracting the extended arm to extend it again (my sifu likes to use the phrase 'long bridge power').

yuanfen
02-02-2003, 06:06 PM
the biu jee- this is another area where there is great diversity in wing chun- for a variety of reasons.

YungChun
02-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Not sure if we call them Biu Jee punches in my lineage but we do have Whipping punches as I've heard them called, which involves turning the stance while doing essentially the basic punch in the system. Adding in the turning causes an elongation of the punches as well as an arcing of the punch's path and added tork.

I've seen clips of Yip Chin, doing 'Biu Jee punches' and there is a clip of him demoing them somewhere on the web, am trying to find it now. In that clip he does them with what he calls Biu Jee stepping but I've seen them done with just the turning as well.

On wingchunkuen an article reports that they are intended to 'go around' obstructions, I don't know quite what to make of that either.

John Weiland
02-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by anerlich
Except for two punches at the beginnnig and three punches at the end, which are essentially the same as those performed in CK or SLT, there are no punches in TWC's Bil Jee. All palms, elbows or finger strikes.
Same in my lineage: Yip Man > Leung Sheung > Ken Chung

Yung Chun, what are you calling punches? Are you sure you're not using punch as generic for strikes?

Regards,

UltimateFighter
02-03-2003, 07:59 AM
The Biu Jee form of WingTsun contains double punches and pheonix punches (with the top finger knuckle protruding). The punch you are referring to is the sideling punch, where hip rotation is added to the punch as well as adding reach.

Biu Jee also contains a hook punch, which completes the 3 basic punching methods of WT.

yenhoi
02-03-2003, 09:02 AM
My biu jee has punches at the beggining and end, the middle is all fingers and palms and elbows... (including a double palm and some sort of backfist thingie...)

aelward
02-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Outside of the standard straight punches and chain punches that open and close all the hand forms, our Biu Jee also has an uppercut in the last section before the funky bending over motion.

It is part of a sequence: drop hands to waist, shoot arms out while grabbing and turning 90 degrees, then turn back to center with an uppercut.

We imagine that we have pulled a much larger person to our flank, and are hitting him with an uppercut under a bridge.

In other families, I have seen this sequence used with what looks to be a boxing hook. In one place that I can't remember, I saw someone use a backfist.

byond1
02-03-2003, 02:59 PM
hi guys...my 2 cents.....

y.m family via moy yat lineage biu tze form has has the 2 punchs in the begining.....which are "launched" from off center--shoulder line...to . ... centerline....this trains you to no matter where you punch from in combat , to always hit center. right after these punchs are when the biu tze wrist motions are practised
than there is 2 ginger fist punchs.. to recover center....or ..some y.m students use a drilling punch....like a hsing i type.....and of cource the older method of punching in that section of fatsan w.c is the hook punch which leung ting put in or y.m taught him that method......i use the hook punch....as "ultimatefighter" mention's finish's the 3 main punching methods....my uppercut is in chum kiu ...and after i upper cut i than straight punch
i know what you mean about yip ching pin sin punchs.....i dont know how many other peope use these in the beginging of there biu tze but him

yuanfen
02-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Brian sez:and of cource the older method of punching in that section of fatsan w.c is the hook punch which leung ting put in or y.m taught him that method......
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian-
Leung Ting put it into his WT--- it was in WC long before that.
In WC it's not a boxing hook but uses wc structure and motion.

Rill
02-03-2003, 06:52 PM
In WC it's not a boxing hook but uses wc structure and motion.

Would you say this also applies to the uppercut in Chum Kiu?

TjD
02-03-2003, 07:03 PM
i would from a structural perspective i dont think my uppercuts are much like a boxers at all.

i think the uppercut is one of wing chun's more powerful strikes.

Rill
02-03-2003, 07:19 PM
TjD -

i think the uppercut is one of wing chun's more powerful strikes.
Can you explain why you think it's more powerful than a normal strike? Assuming you also have the hook in your lineage, would you say it's less or more powerful than this?

yuanfen
02-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Depends-IMO-who, what, when, how and to whom.

Rill
02-03-2003, 09:16 PM
yuanfen -

'what' is the uppercut.
'when' is in the Chum Kiu form.
'to whom' is in relation to you.

I am not entirely sure what 'who' is relevant to, but the 'how' is the matter I would like you to give the answer to my original question on, if you would be kind enough to be forthcoming. :)

yenhoi
02-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Which punch is more powerful (straight, hook, uppercut, etc...) depends on who, what, when, how and to whom.

:eek:

yenhoi
02-03-2003, 09:31 PM
Also, IMO, WCK uppercut, like yuanfen says about the hook, is unlike the boxers uppercut in structure, mechanics, etc. Just the same general angle and use.

TjD
02-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Rill
TjD -

Can you explain why you think it's more powerful than a normal strike? Assuming you also have the hook in your lineage, would you say it's less or more powerful than this?

i just feel i can penetrate much deeper/cause more damage with an uppercut. the angle that it hits at, the closeness of the body and the additional use of the bicep allow for a big load of whammo.

its much easier to get your body behind the uppercut than the hook. the hook comes more from torquing the body. i suppose someome with a different body type than mine could have a stronger hook than uppercut - but for me, my uppercut is definately stronger.

yuanfen
02-04-2003, 06:39 AM
Rill- to answer your question. In Chum Kiu (mine anyway)-there is a section where there is forward stepping with bong/ wu and rolling down three times. At the end of the third motion you convert to a drilling midsectional punch or better still to an uppercut. The stepping, turning and the trajectory makes ita suoerb tool. But you can do similar things with the wing chun hook as well- at very close quarters- it cam go through or past guards. You can do both on the dummy as well.

Rill
02-04-2003, 06:51 AM
yuanfen - Thank you for the response, the clarity and lineage specific details were exactly what I was after. :)

An jie
02-19-2003, 01:10 PM
the "whipping punches" are often used more as a double grab in Biu tze and when incorporated with juen ma ; a pull to the side into the the subsequent uppercut. Regarding Chum kiu, I have often applied the uppercut with fook sau energy in chi sao; essentially straight from bong sao to fook sau