PDA

View Full Version : odd occurence..numb finger

Rolling Elbow
02-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Again, I turn not to doctors but my friends at KFO....

Since I hurt my back (going on a month ago), I have times when if I am reading or watching t.v or even working on the computer and holding the mouse, my right pinky finger gets numb or stiff as if from the cold. Whenever I touch it, it is definitely cold. All my other fingers are warm, this one is cold. Could this be from having strained my forearms doing endless chins or having to focus on gripping the bar? My buddy jokingly told me twich in the right hand means heart attack! :-O

Yikes, who has had this..

prana
02-02-2003, 07:42 PM
I have, and it sill happens but mine is from doing dead hangs.....

I am not sure how it is affected by your back but could be a nerve thing being pinched or something.

Doctors will ask for a scan to be done and do some nervous system checks on you to make sure you are "balanced", they lknock you here and there etc make you jump up and down like a monkey gone mad... but its all good :) If you have any strength lost in one side, you definitely should see a doctor.

Do check out Carpel Tunnel syndrome if it happens especially during typing and using a mouse etc.

Rolling Elbow
02-02-2003, 08:03 PM
thanks prana!

I actually came across that in a Google search.. surgery i think i'll pass on. Definitely though typing I do allot of at work as is using a mouse... i imagine that chins would stress the forearms, wrist and muscles in teh hands.. i have been doing them everyday for the past 3 weeks..

prana
02-02-2003, 08:10 PM
yeah chin ups can cause extra trauma on the finger tendons, especially when you have carpel tunnel.

Stretch your forearms, dont forget to stretch your extensors as well, lots of massage. I also do not want the surgery option.... but lots of rest will also help.

But just to be sure, you "should" see a doctor for the other tests :)

ricksitterly
02-02-2003, 09:09 PM
my left pinky is always cold, but probably that's because I split it open really bad when I was 12 and had like 17 stitches. Eww. Anyways I'm sure you'll be fine.

prana
02-02-2003, 09:22 PM
me too, mine had 12 stitches and my fingernail still hasnt properly grown back.... hehehe

shaolin kungfu
02-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Could be a circulatory problem.

Cheese Dog
02-02-2003, 10:34 PM
RE, since the problem started back when you hurt your back, I would suspect a pinched nerve in the spinal column. I have mild scoliosis (a lateral curvature of the spine) and when it gets out of alignment I get pain not in my back, but in my knees. My chiropractor has been a HUGE help to me, I'm usually pain-free and regular medical doctors were useless (they just wanted to give me painkillers and tell me to quit MA. As if!)

Good luck!

fa_jing
02-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Guohen is right, and it's the ulnar nerve. Does the side of your ring finger that is closest to your pinky feel the same way?

I know as I managed to completely sever my ulnar nerve at the wrist when I was twelve. I went on to have nerve replacement surgery and gained about 50% of motor skill and feeling back. The nerve can get pinched in the neck, too.

Rolling Elbow
02-03-2003, 02:31 PM
I'll check it out this week cause i am finally breaking down and going to see a chiro practitioner. I also cancelled my attendence at a hockey tournament this weekend cause i was rediculous to think i'd be ready for a semi contact sport soo soon.. I am going to resume training tonight at my club but i am more there to watch ands ee what i am missing then to get twisted into a pretzel. I made that quite clear.

prana
02-03-2003, 04:23 PM
All the best, hope you get well soon.

And let us know how it goes okay !?